My 2014 trip (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
While it is a bit quiet on here I thought it is a good time to ask. I plan on a 3 week trip in the second half of 2014 to get my racing fix so which block of races would you all suggest? I am thinking Brainerd and Indy as experiencing the zoo is high up on my bucket list and being the 60th US Nationals it would be a good time to do that race. The only other option I was thinking was the Western swing as that is high up on the list too.

I am also hoping to find an employer to sponsor me for a green card while I am over there so I figure the week off between Brainerd and Indy will give me the opportunity to chase up any leads.

Any thoughts??

Why not do Chicago and Norwalk? They are back to back and you could just fly into Chicago then drive the 400 miles to Norwalk the next week. Norwalk is my favorite race because the Baders really know how to put on a race!

Darren, i hope i get a chance to meet you again next year. If you are renting a car and driving from race to race then the western swing is a beautiful drive, especially if you travel 70 west out of Denver Colorado heading to Sonoma Ca. The drive from Sonoma up to Seattle is pretty awesome too. You could do Brainerd and Indy, or Indy and Charlotte but you will have a week off in between each race. The zoo is fun at Brainerd and there are a lot of lake resorts to stay at. We use to stay at Cragun's Resort just outside of Brainerd, but it can be a little pricier then a regular hotel. It has a nice lake and you can rent a boat or kayak. At Indy you will get to see a lot of great racing. There is a great steak house in downtown Indy called St Elmos that is pretty awesome. A lot of the teams have their shops in Brownsburg about 2 miles from the track. There is also a bbq restaurant next to the shops called the Pit Stop that has good food, and you may find a lot of the teams there during lunch time. Some of the shops have open house during race week, and you can also go see the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. If you do Charlotte then you are at the Bellagio of drag strips. Plus, you must check out all of the nascar race shops around the area. Most of them have fan viewing areas. I can give you a list of the best ones to see and directions to their shops, but, it will take a day or two to see them all. I could also probably find you a division or street legal race you could stop at on the weekend between Indy and Charlotte. Have fun.:)
-----------------------------
http://www.stelmos.com/
http://www.pitstopbbqandgrill.com/
http://www.craguns.com/

Last edited:
Why not do Chicago and Norwalk? They are back to back and you could just fly into Chicago then drive the 400 miles to Norwalk the next week. Norwalk is my favorite race because the Baders really know how to put on a race!
I like Mr. Eagle's idea. You can't go wrong with Chicago and Norwalk. Two great tracks, and an easy drive between the two.

I like Mr. Eagle's idea. You can't go wrong with Chicago and Norwalk. Two great tracks, and an easy drive between the two.
Paul, he has already been to the Joliet race. Joe Sherwood brought Darren by our pit and i chatted with him for a while, at Joliet. I agree with you guys about Norwalk though. He could do Epping NH, Joliet, and Norwalk. From Epping it is around a 1000 miles to Joliet, and it is only 309 miles from the Joliet track to the Norwalk track.

Last edited:
if driving is no object, the western swing would be hard to beat for scenic beauty and the unique venues,
plus you're on the west coast when looking to return to oz.
if you want your day to get better after the racing is over, do BIR, cordova, Indy; and figure out how to stay in
campgrounds @ BIR and Indy

and it's nitro at night @ cordova

Last edited:
Why did I think Darren came to Norwalk last year?

The Bandimere's have a special place, given the venues and the scenic beauty I'd suggest scratching that western swing itch pretty soon. Seattle has the big Seafair Fleet week that same weekend many/most years.

In terms of green card sponsors, what line of business are you running down? If you get here at the right time you may fall into amnesty so quick that you won't need a sponsor! We are always looking for people willing and capable to work!

I'm also looking forward to Supercross getting going again ... always said, if I had nine lives, I'd have eight motorcycles, but my share of my youngest son's hospital and rehab bills have set my retirement date back several years already .... so I settle for sponsoring and watching that sport!

Did that this season. Bristol and Epping too. Was the trip of a lifetime!!! I also went to Indy for the day in between Joliet and norwalk and had a look at the track, the brickyard/museum and toured DSR MLR and Rapisarda.

Bing,

Eugene is 100% correct with the drive on the Western Swing. Denver to Sonoma will definately give you a different perspective of racing and the drastic change between tracks.

Im taking lots of Vitamin C so Ill be healthy this time around!

There is 2 main reasons apart from the racing that I want to do the swing, I really want to see red rocks in person and Alcatraz is something I gotta see. It looks like Brainerd and Indy will win and with a bit of luck (and some help from you guys) I might be buying a one way ticket this time.

Darren, it was great meeting you for Saturday at Joliet and the epic FC passes. Cool seeing your enjoyment of that.
I am biased since I grew up just south of Seattle. I raced at Sonoma in the 90's too. I think that would be a great route to take. You could see some of the sights you mentioned, drive up the CA, OR, WA coast along highway 101, even part way. Amazing views. Also, seeing the change the teams go through for the Western Swing would pretty cool too.
It sounds like you have a few options and any of them would be great.
Good luck on making this a one way ticket and being able to make more of these races in the future too.

Bing,

Eugene is 100% correct with the drive on the Western Swing. Denver to Sonoma will definately give you a different perspective of racing and the drastic change between tracks.

Im taking lots of Vitamin C so Ill be healthy this time around!
I was on the way home from Indy this year in Gary Denshams hauler and i stopped at a rest area just a few miles west of Vail where you could swim in the Colorado river and watch people going down the river in their kayaks. It is a beatutiful drive across there.

If you were to come in the spring, you've got the 4WIDE
at Charlotte Nc.(April 11 - 13). Just a thought. You can see racing anywhere, but you can only see 4wide in one place.
It would be something different to tell the bloaks back home.

There is 2 main reasons apart from the racing that I want to do the swing, I really want to see red rocks in person and Alcatraz is something I gotta see. It looks like Brainerd and Indy will win and with a bit of luck (and some help from you guys) I might be buying a one way ticket this time.

Bing, Denver has a view unlike any other track on the Circuit! The Stands are about a 30-40 degree angle, which means you are literally on top of the Cars! Only drawback to Denver is the Altitude! And a tour of the Coors plant is a must! I can show you how to take the short tour to Hospitality, three free Beers!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back