Morgan & Brandon at the Superbowl? (1 Viewer)

So Greg,

If you sponsored my car and I won the championship. It would be wrong for me to give you a champion's jacket?

That's what happened here, the Colts were thanking their backers. Forrest certainly didn't do anything wrong.

So Greg,

If you sponsored my car and I won the championship. It would be wrong for me to give you a champion's jacket?

That's what happened here, the Colts were thanking their backers. Forrest certainly didn't do anything wrong.
He has nothing to do with the Colts Alan. Should he get a Big 10 basketball championship ring too? The Big 10 holds their tournament there this year.

To me, it cheapens the ring when they hand them out like candy.

Greg,

I respectfully disagree. He is a MAJOR sponsor of the Colts. And if they wish to thank him for the support with a ring, that's up to them. Like I said, if I won a championship I would certainly thank my sponsors in some way.

Alan

I can tell you they don't hand them out like candy. It was absolutely the right thing to do by the Colts to give the man who is probably their biggest sponsor a championship ring. It's not like the popcorn vendor got a ring.

PS I don't know about Super Bowl rings, but I know there is a difference in World Series rings teams give out. The Owner, GM, Coaches and 25 man player's roster all get bigger/better rings than say the director of scouting or travelling secretary.

Greg,

I respectfully disagree. He is a MAJOR sponsor of the Colts. And if they wish to thank him for the support with a ring, that's up to them. Like I said, if I won a championship I would certainly thank my sponsors in some way.

Alan

+1.
I think it's cool the Colts gave them a couple rings. You would think they would do something nice for the man that pays them a little over $6 Million a year for the naming rights to the stadium. I wonder if they are the exact same as the rings the players get. I thought I read once different personnel get a little bit different ring than what the players get.

.....The NFL really does have an iron fist....
.... I don't think the NFL would allow them to do anything ....
It's even more that that, a couple of months ago the NFL told Forrest that because Lucas wasn't the "official" oil of the NFL anything with the Lucas name would have to be removed or covered up--- including the big letters on the outside of the building...
The NFL also didn't want sportscasters & writers referring to it as "Lucas Oil Stadium" for the super bowl...
If you know Forrest , then you know what he told the NFL...:eek:
I haven't heard what the outcome was- so pay attention if watching the SB...

It's even more that that, a couple of months ago the NFL told Forrest that because Lucas wasn't the "official" oil of the NFL anything with the Lucas name would have to be removed or covered up--- including the big letters on the outside of the building...
The NFL also didn't want sportscasters & writers referring to it as "Lucas Oil Stadium" for the super bowl...
If you know Forrest , then you know what he told the NFL...:eek:
I haven't heard what the outcome was- so pay attention if watching the SB...
Believe or not, the NFL is bigger than Forrest Lucas.

He owns naming rights to a stadium. Thats about it.

Hell, Jerry Jones owns the most profitable team in sports, *next to the NY Yankees, and he doesn't get treated like royalty in his house.

Forrest Lucas is a self made man, that much I will attribute, but to tie him to a Super Bowl is ridiculous. His companies name flies above a stadium, and while I wish I could say the same about me, he has nothing to do with a Super Bowl being in Indy. That credit belongs to the people that actually OWN the stadium. The people and the city of Indianapolis and he state of Indiana.

Believe or not, the NFL is bigger than Forrest Lucas.

He owns naming rights to a stadium. Thats about it.

When the Super Bowl was in Tampa Bay, they referred to it as Raymond James Stadium, no signs were covered though I am sure Raymond James is not the official anything of the NFL. When the Super Bowl was in Detroit they referred to it as Ford Field, no signs were covered though I am sure that Ford is not the official anything of the NFL. When the Super Bowl was in Houston they referred to it as Reliant Stadium, though I am sure that Reliant is not the official anything of the NFL.

Forrest has a right to be upset if the NFL are going that route. 120 million people watch the Super Bowl (about 5 times as many people that watch all NHRA broadcasts for the season combined), it is an extraordinary opportunity to create/add brand awareness.

NFL is the model for brand awareness and control. To wit: see all the ads on TV that reference "the big game"? As in "buy a TV and have it delivered before the big game". Or this ad where even Hooters, famous for football watching, calls it "the big game". Notice how none of them use the phrase "Super Bowl"? NFL controls it like a hawk and would eat them alive if they used their phrase. See this article on the subject.

Even with all the NHRA's recent attempts to control people posting videos and photos from events, they are amateurs compared the the brand control the NFL exerts.

Hey Greg u should find out if he was one of the few individuals that donated to the cause to get the super bowl to Indy?

On the way in to work this afternoon, I heard a Castrol advert loudly proclaiming Castrol "the official oil of the NFL." Apparently, being the official oil gives them the right to use "The Superbowl" rather than "the big game" in their ads.

I happen to have a little insight into this arena and let me tell you, the NFL is hands down the best at collecting every single penny they can out of anything.

And its not uncommon for a stadium's naming rights company to have its name covered up. Especially smaller sponsors. For example when the NCAA Final Four was in Houston last year, Coke sponsors Reliant Park where the Stadium, Center, and Arena are. They have Coke signs everywhere. During the Final Four, they were all covered. It actually happens alot. Its all wrote into their contracts. Not normally to the major naming rights sponsor, but it does happen. And trust me, whatever the NFL wants, the NFL gets. Its a beast.

Though it would chap my azz if I paid $500 million to be the naming rights sponsor, and then have my name covered when the biggest event the place will ever have is there.

on the NBC news this morning the newscaster asked "what's a LUCAS OIL"? pertaining to lucas oil stadium.

NFL is the model for brand awareness and control. To wit: see all the ads on TV that reference "the big game"? As in "buy a TV and have it delivered before the big game". Or this ad where even Hooters, famous for football watching, calls it "the big game". Notice how none of them use the phrase "Super Bowl"? NFL controls it like a hawk and would eat them alive if they used their phrase. See this article on the subject.

Even with all the NHRA's recent attempts to control people posting videos and photos from events, they are amateurs compared the the brand control the NFL exerts.
Yeah, like when the NFL tried to claim that "Who Dat" was their trademark, and a bunch of pissed off cajuns told them to take their greedy azzes out of town.:cool:
on the NBC news this morning the newscaster asked "what's a LUCAS OIL"? pertaining to lucas oil stadium.
I guess their sponsorship is working then............;)

Yeah, like when the NFL tried to claim that "Who Dat" was their trademark, and a bunch of pissed off cajuns told them to take their greedy azzes out of town.:cool:
I guess their sponsorship is working then............;)

They just settled that this week with an out of court settlement between the NFL and Who Dat Inc.........Beileve Dat! :D

Our local ABC affiliate has been doing live broadcasts every night this week from LUCAS OIL STADIUM. The reporter is outside and you can see just behind him up on the building in the huge neon red letters the Lucas oil signage. So much for them covering up the signs. Am happy to see Forest getting some good return on his investment.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back