Brandon Bernstein is the total package (1 Viewer)

I would like to see Brandon and Morgan give the other high dollar teams a run for the championship this year. But they have a tough job ahead of them. I don't see the Schumacher teams or the Al-Anabi teams slowing down any, and I think the Kalitta teams will be a lot more consistent this year. Then there are a few independent teams out there that could step up their programs also. It will be interesting to see how their testing goes.

Last edited:
ok, he's driving for MLR, , , what does that have to do with being a "total package" ? total package of what?

nothing against Brandon, but it woulda been nice to see the ride go to a driver who's' been tryin' to make it on his/her own over the years (Troxel/Fuller/Todd/Kalivoda etc.) Brandon has been able to lean on his father his whole career, and as long as Kenny wanted to race Brandon had a job! Looks like there's a little 'good ol' boy' mentality going on this off season!

If Brandon Bernstein is going to be faulted for riding his fathers coat tails to a Top Fuel ride then I guess some of you will not just stop there right. You need to include anyone currently riding their father's coat tails or father in laws coat tails if you get my drift. Then you need to go bang on every one in big and small business who followed someone into a employment or ownership and was successful via a relative. The damn kid has 18 event wins and took a rock solid hit that put him out and the guy had the 300mph sack to jump back in the cockpit.

Great post Steve! Man it just seems some on this board just have to constantly nit-pick. Brandon loves what he's doing, everyone knows what he did to earn his stripes, why fault the kid for having the opportunity because of his father? Wouldn't we all want to have it? Better yet, wouldn't we all want to be be able to create opportunities for our kids to live yheir dreams?

nothing against Brandon, but it woulda been nice to see the ride go to a driver who's' been tryin' to make it on his/her own over the years (Troxel/Fuller/Todd/Kalivoda etc.) Brandon has been able to lean on his father his whole career, and as long as Kenny wanted to race Brandon had a job! Looks like there's a little 'good ol' boy' mentality going on this off season!

Geez. Give me a break. Would you have been happier if Brandon had turned down the offer, and sat out a few seasons???

Get real. If your dad had retired from a fuel coupe ride and given the seat to you, would you turn it down? I highly doubt it.

Get a grip people. MLR offered Brandon the seat because he has a proven record of winning races when the car is running well.:rolleyes:

there is no one i don't like in drag racing i even have one of the dreaded delay box super gas cars iam not sure brandon's reaction times are going to be good enough in this age of real close racing in tf and fc. i think the hole shot is going to become bigger and bigger in the next couple of years

In the early 90's we had a funny car sponsored by GM of Canada under the Goodwrench brand......you would not believe what was written into the contract. I am sure this would be part of the Budweiser contract......It only makes marketing sense.

Gee you realize your talking about half the Drivers out there? How many 2nd Gen. racers are out there???

ask 100 people on the street who is a professional drag racer and you'd
probably still get force, garlits, muldowney, prudhomme, and bernstein.....
about in that order.
nhra has a bit of an identity crisis and 'bernstein' is still one of very few
names tied the sport.

Totally agree, George. I even heard a rumor from someone I would consider a pretty reliable source that Kenny was so anal that when the team would go out to dinner, any beer that was being consumed was Bud and that it couldn't be served in a glass. They could drink it out of a glass, but it wasn't to come from the tap. He wanted everyone in the place to see those Budweiser labels on the cans or bottles sitting on the table.

Sean D

What's wrong with that? He may be an extreme pain in the ass, but that's loyalty.

ask 100 people on the street who is a professional drag racer and you'd
probably still get force, garlits, muldowney, prudhomme, and bernstein.....
about in that order.
nhra has a bit of an identity crisis and 'bernstein' is still one of very few
names tied the sport.

I think it was because he was so passionate, Almost a Richard Tharp hate to lose type of attitude. I heard he is a pretty nice guy but he is 100% all business on the starting line and never really respected anybody unless they beat him

Totally agree, George. I even heard a rumor from someone I would consider a pretty reliable source that Kenny was so anal that when the team would go out to dinner, any beer that was being consumed was Bud and that it couldn't be served in a glass.

Sean, maybe I can shed a little light on this. In my career, I worked on a lot of TV commercials and a few Anheuser-Busch television commercials, Bud Bowl included. A couple of my fellow production types met the Producer from the St. Louis advertising agency at a pretty cool Beverly Hills restaurant for drinks and then dinner.

I sat with those guys while one consumed an Amstel and the other had a Bud Light, when the agency producer showed up, a little late, the first thing we heard in a very distinct voice was, "Get that beer out of here," she said. It was clear that she would not sit down at the same table where anything but an A-B beer product was being consumed. The Amstel drinker called for the waiter and ordered a cold Bud in the can, handing off the Amstel to a bus boy.

The producer then sat down at the table after the competitive product had been removed and said, "If anyone from A-B management walked into the restaurant and saw anything but an A-B product on the table she would have been fired.

Strangely and unexpectedly August Busch IV and his posse walked into the same bar about twenty minutes later, recognized the St. Louis producer with us, walked over to the table and was introduced to all of us, besides mixed drinks the only beer products on the table were A-B, fortunately.

The same happens on most productions for Pepsi, 7-up, Coke, and Kellogg's and more. As a courtesy to the client competitive products are never consumed around the advertising client, never.

I am sure this is the case with anything that may have happened involving a Budweiser product and sponsorship for any kind of racing, Kenny did the right thing

BTW, we didn't get the Bud Bowl job that year. ;)

Last edited:
What's wrong with that? He may be an extreme pain in the ass, but that's loyalty.

Sean, maybe I can shed a little light on this. In my career, I worked on a lot of TV commercials and a few Anheuser-Busch television commercials, Bud Bowl included. A couple of my fellow production types met the Producer from the St. Louis advertising agency at a pretty cool Beverly Hills restaurant for drinks and then dinner.

I sat with those guys while one consumed an Amstel and the other had a Bud Light, when the agency producer showed up, a little late, the first thing we heard in a very distinct voice was, "Get that beer out of here," she said. It was clear that she would not sit down at the same table where anything but an A-B beer product was being consumed. The Amstel drinker called for the waiter and ordered a cold Bud in the can, handing off the Amstel to a bus boy.

The producer then sat down at the table after the competitive product had been removed and said, "If anyone from A-B management walked into the restaurant and saw anything but an A-B product on the table she would have been fired.

Strangely and unexpectedly August Busch IV and his posse walked into the same bar about twenty minutes later, recognized the St. Louis producer with us, walked over to the table and was introduced to all of us, besides mixed drinks the only beer products on the table were A-B, fortunately.

The same happens on most productions for Pepsi, 7-up, Coke, and Kellogg's and more. As a courtesy to the client competitive products are never consumed around the advertising client, never.

I am sure this is the case with anything that may have happened involving a Budweiser product and sponsorship for any kind of racing, Kenny did the right thing

BTW, we didn't get the Bud Bowl job that year. ;)

I didn't mean to imply at all that I think anything is wrong with it; quite the opposite, actually. I just thought it was a funny story. It does, however, further illustrate the extremely high level of professionalism brought forth to drag racing by the King.

Sean D

That's very common in business. Many years ago I worked for a transport company that delivered both General Motors and Chrysler vehicles. When we went to the Detroit area for meetings we had the car rental company deliver both brands to our hotel and drove the correct brand to meetings at the car company headquartes while the other sat in the hotel parking lot. We were told in no uncertain terms that driving the wrong car to a meeting at their headquarters would have resulted in a termination of our contract. We never tried to find out if that was true or not.

Walk into a meeting with Steve Ballmer or on the Microsoft campus and whip out an iPhone and see what happens... Not pretty.

Sounds kinda like the time a NASCAR team returned a signed sponsorship contract from UPS via Fed Ex.

Deal was not consummated because of their oversight.

Totally agree, George. I even heard a rumor from someone I would consider a pretty reliable source that Kenny was so anal that when the team would go out to dinner, any beer that was being consumed was Bud and that it couldn't be served in a glass. They could drink it out of a glass, but it wasn't to come from the tap. He wanted everyone in the place to see those Budweiser labels on the cans or bottles sitting on the table.

Sean D

This is no different than the "XYZ" oil company sponsoring a car. Then using "ABC" oil poured out of an "XYZ" container because it works better. It is all show to make the sponsor look good as it should be.

This is no different than the "XYZ" oil company sponsoring a car. Then using "ABC" oil poured out of an "XYZ" container because it works better. It is all show to make the sponsor look good as it should be.

I heard of that practice actually. I wanna say Jim Yates, but that's just a rumor.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back