Modified Powerwheels! (1 Viewer)

Smiley

Nitro Member
This past weekend I decided to take off the "responsible parent" hat for a while and let my daughter have some fun, and I just had to share it..

It started with a donated "Barbie" Powerwheels Jeep. The battery was bad, and there was no charger. Now, being donated I wanted to make sure it was OK before I spent any money on it. My daughter has another Powerwheels Quad that she is getting a bit big for, so I figured I would try the 6V battery out of it and at least see if it works. Well, with the battery spliced in that darn thing ran. Cool, free Barbie Jeep! Now, being 6V the Jeep is greatly under-powered, and the neighbors bigger Powerwheels quad was much faster. What's a dad to do.. I went out to the shed and grabbed the 12V battery out of my lawn tractor, spliced it in. The jeep definitely ran well, and had decent power. I went to Lowes to try to find the smallest 12V Tractor battery I could fine, but unfortunately they were still too big, and the Jeep looked funny driving around with the hood open and a huge battery sticking out of it. (and it was still slower than the neighbors quad). Ok, what else can I do with the free Jeep.

It was an hour or two later when I had to fix a few screws on my deck with my cordless drill, My 18V DeWalt Cordless drill! Then it hit me.. Well, if 12V ran good, I wonder what 18V will do!? So, a few minutes later I had one of my 18V XRP batteries hooked into it (it fit under the hood too!l). I figured I'd get about 5 kick-a$$ minutes out of it before the battery gave up.

First of all, we beat the neighbors quad by about 5 car-lengths! VICTORY! Now, if I could only get my 11 second car to beat his low 8 second car I'd be really golden, but that is a story for another time.

What really surprised me is that the Jeep actually ran for about 20 minutes before the battery was dead. No normally we have to put the Jeep away and let the battery charge for 18 hours before she could use it again. Put the DeWalt battery on the charger and in about an hour we're good to go again!

After the first 20 minutes of driving the Jeep, we found some limitations. Mainly, it's a peg-leg. One wheel with all that torque is pretty useless, it's fun, but uselsss when you get off level ground.

Remember that 6V quad I mentioned earlier...

Well, the quad has a live axle, so I figured traction would be better. It was, in fact she has to lean forward over the bars or the damn thing will flip over!

Video here..

YouTube - Hot Rod Powerwheels

A "responsible" father would hook the kid up with some wheelie bars. Sheeeesh.... :D :p

LOL. That was just too friggin' cute. Thanks for sharing!

Errrggghhh More Power!!!!

Very cool, and come to think of it they do have some 24v power tools. You may need to make another trip to Lowe's. Just a thought.

Watched it again..had no sound at work.

LOL..gets to the red line quick doesn't it? And notice how she leans forward starting now after the dump.

I did similar many years ago with a train set (just wired 2 instead of 1)..like 20 feet of circle track..tipped over on the first lap..wife gave me one of those 'if looks could killl'..and I relented..LOL

She's a keeper, Brian..

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed the story - it's one I just had to tell. And it seems the cars are a hit with the neighborhood kids too!

Some background on my daughter..

She'll be 4 in a couple of weeks.

She would wear her Ashley Force T-Shirt to school every day if she could (or if we could wash it every night).

Took her to the SuperNationals last year and she LOVED it! Even the fuel cars.

My wife bought her a doll for her birthday last year, and she immediately grabbed one of my wrenches, put the open end on the dolls wrist and said "I'll fix it"

My mother in law is a huge Danica Patrick fan, whenever she asks my daughter if she is going to grow up to be Danica Patrick, my daughter's reply is No Nana, Ashley Force!

She's a great kid, the Mrs wishes she was more of a girly-girl, but she doesn't complain too much.

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back