Modified eliminator protest (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
I heard about some type of protest from drivers in this class at Indy years ago.

Did most of the people in the stands know what was happening? Which day of the event did this occur?

If anyone on here was there that day, I'd love to read your recollections.

I heard about some type of protest from drivers in this class at Indy years ago.

Did most of the people in the stands know what was happening? Which day of the event did this occur?

If anyone on here was there that day, I'd love to read your recollections.

I was there, but I was very young. All I recollect was that there was a parade of them going down the return road, and if I remember correctly, the lead car had a sign on the roof. And one thing I do recall vividly was the crowd reaction. There was A LOT of support when they went down alongside the track.

Sean D

1981 - was the last year for Modified Eliminator. In 1982, many of those classes were thrown into the Comp class.

That unfortunatly happens to classes as the years go by. Top Gas Dragsters (got stuck in Comp), Pro Stock Truck (stuck in Comp), Super Elim (7.90 index) & they went into all kinds of classes, probably T/D and T/S. Pro Comp was a great class, but it morphed into the current T/AD and TA/FC. Anybody remember Gas Coupes & Sedans, or modifed roadsters, or the original AA/FC, which was AA/ Fuel Competition, and the car was basically a dragster chassis with a Fiat body on it, not too much slower than AA/FD of that time (early '60's). Ah well....

yup, the end of MP.... the protest is explained in this video

I could watch that kind of stuff all day long. Modified Production was what my Dad and his buddies ran when I was very young, so those are my first memories not only of Modified, but drag racing altogether. I was only 6 years old when they quit in '76, so I was part of probably the youngest generation that witnessed it's demise a few short years later. It was a shame when it happened, but looking back at the circumstances, I get it.

When we took our blown altered to the World Fuel Altered Nationals back in the mid to late 2000's, there was a group there doing some exhibition runs called the Ozark Mountain Super Shifters, which was a group of some old modified production type cars, and I didn't miss a single one of their runs that night. Some of the guys that were with us were asking me what I could possibly get out of watching "cars like that" run after driving a low 4-second blown altered. I just responded with, "You'll never understand.......".

Sean D

I was there that year, but I don't remember what led to the eliminator being, well, eliminated. I'm assuming it was a steady decrease in participation?

I suspect that old original Modified Eliminator cars will be the next restoration projects, just like Nostalgia Pro Stock is doing now...

anyone know where I could find either of these B/MP Hemi A bodies?
Bob Riffle
Riffle mp.png

Butch Leal
Leal mp.png

Look at the distortion of the slicks on Riffle's car. The photo of Leal looks like it was taken last week.

The Leal Duster in the picture above is currently undergoing a top notch restoration.

Riffle's Demon started life as a Duster.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back