Combo Eliminator in 1969 (1 Viewer)

Al

Nitro Member
Mark's thread of injected dragsters reminded me of something I saw only once. It was at only my second drag race at Puyallup Raceway Park in Puyallup Washington. It was their big race of the year, the 1969 AHRA North American Fuel & Gas Championships. The first (night) was Top Fuel (won by Jerry Ruth) and "Combo Eliminator". Combo Eliminator consisted of both Top Gas Eliminator dragsters and Junior Fuelers running heads-up. They put on a fantastic show ! The final round found that year's Winternationals winner Dave Grassi losing to Dave Weiss. It seemed like a preview of Pro Comp. I don't remember reading about this eliminator run at very many other tracks. Anybody out there see this class run with any regularity anywhere else ? BTW: If anyone out there has video of this event let me know !

Hi Allan. Combo Elim was run several times at OCIR. I kinda think that was the beginning of Pro Comp. the shows I saw at OCIR had a mixture of cars, including AA/FA on nitro. They put on a great show. I saw Don Enriquez (Adams & Enriquez) A/FD run the first 6 second ET for injected nitro one year, maybe 1973, at OCIR. Was also thinking that todays' top Dragster is somewhat like the old Combo Elim, what with the various supercharger combos, nitrous oxide, & just naturally aspirated cars. Also altereds sometimes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back