Mile Highs 100 degrees (1 Viewer)

We went 3.80 first round give us some credit for Norwalk lol.....was talking to Hogan after they beat us in the final we were the only car that went down the track against them all day....I work on 3 top fuel cars 2 cars have a budget 1 doesn't really when track gets 130 and up the 65 35 spray dont help anyone makes it extremely hard to get down the track and usually a pretty crappy show especially in qualifying when no need to pedal car

I hope you didn’t think I was dissing Dakin and team. I was only making a point about the track prep not being the reason for the final round appearance. Definitely earned it.

• temperature = 95.22 deg f
  • relative humidity = 10 %
  • uncorrected barometer* = 24.01 inHg
  • corrected barometer* = 29.72 inHg
  • wind speed = 6.99 mph
  • wind direction* = NE (44°)
  • more info: current metric | historical | forecast |help
  • dew point = 30 deg f
  • saturation pressure = 1.673 inHg
  • vapor pressure = 0.167 inHg
  • grains = 30.5
  • air density (w/o water vapor) = 75%
  • air density (w water vapor) = 75%
  • density altitude = 9677.11 ft
Current weather at Bandimere. Sunset at 9:00 PM tomorrow & temp will be 90 degrees. It doesn't matter what kind of funding you have or don't have it AIN"T going to be much fun.

I disagree. As David Gerard mentioned earlier, the cooling system under the track makes a huge difference. A couple of years ago it was near 100 degrees out and the track temp at 660' was 135/140 degrees. But the first 305 feet, where the cooling system runs, it was 115/120 degrees. The crew chiefs have all said it's a huge help. Cooling down the first 305 feet by 20 to 25 degrees gives them a chance. They can at least get the car to launch and then it's up to making adjustments to the application of power as the car approaches the 300 foot mark.
As for Q2, the sun will go behind the mountain and the shade will start to cover the track between 7 and 7:30 putting Bandimere in "dusk mode". By 8pm when nitro is scheduled to run, the air temp will be around 80-85 degrees. The track temp in the cooling section will be 90-100 degrees and the rest of the track will be 110-120. Those are manageable numbers, so I would expect to see some decent runs.
Of course, looking at the forecast, Friday might not matter much. It's funny, usually the Friday night session at most national events is when the teams swing for the home run as conditions are most favorable. With Saturday (and Sunday for that matter) forecasted to be much cooler, all the home run shots might come on Saturday or even Sunday during eliminations. I'm looking forward to watching the genius crew chiefs step up to all the challenges this weekend is going to bring!

Same track for everyone. Equalizes things so the little guys have a chance, Stop whining!

Phoenix 2018, track was glued to the max. Quickest and fastest runs ever in the nitro classes.

Top fuel final four - Billy Torrence, Steve Torrence, Scott Palmer, Greg Carillo.

"Little guys" have a chance when they get lucky, regardless of track prep. Show me Scott Palmer or Jim Campbell in the top 5 in points and I'll believe you. Show me Pat Dakin, Scott Palmer, Lex Joon, Cruz Pedregon, Jeff Diehl, Jim Campbell, etc hoisting wallys after every other race and i'll believe you.

Heck i'd even settle with 20 nitro cars per class showing up to qualify since they all have such a great chance at winning on the new equalized track.

I'd love to see the facts to back up the argument that "little guys" get to do better now because the "big guys" are penalized for having too much power.

Last edited:
Random question, when did they build all those houses Northeast of the track? Last time I was here it was grass fields.

I’m eating lunch on my back patio about an hour north and it’s 99 in the shade. Not one cloud in sight. Not going out there this year. Can’t imagine walking around the track as a fan all day in this heat. Although I’ve certainly been there done that. Why can’t they run this race at 2am LoL. Y’all be safe out there.

What kind of home builder builds houses close to a race track or an Air Force base? We have Luke AFB in Phoenix area, trains pilots. You can hear those war birds all the time, beautiful to see, loud to hear. So why build houses near there? Why buy a house in that area & then complain about the jet noise? ARGHHHHHHH

What kind of home builder builds houses close to a race track or an Air Force base? We have Luke AFB in Phoenix area, trains pilots. You can hear those war birds all the time, beautiful to see, loud to hear. So why build houses near there? Why buy a house in that area & then complain about the jet noise? ARGHHHHHHH
Cliff, my family lives out in Avondale, and for a little while in Litchfield Park. Years ago while visiting, we found a little access road out in the desert near the base, and watched the pilots practice. It was unreal! We got so close it was like being on the aircraft carrier in Top Gun lol.

Learn to adapt and tune to the track. The track is the true equalizer.

yes it is but you have to able to at least get down it. Not one team made a full pull until the temps dropped .
Even the "low budget" little guys had too much power so unless you are going to mandate some major engine restrictions you have to provide a good racing surface.
When NHRA was gluing the track to almost perfect traction there were more variety of winners.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back