Masks (1 Viewer)

It's the "Maskholes" that are being dicks about refusing the wear the masks that are the source of the issue. I mean really, they are even presenting establishments with fake mask exemption cards to get out of their social responsibility. I wear mine because it's just a mask. Remember, it's not about YOU. It's about preventing asymptomatic carriers from spreading it to others that may not be as lucky.

The main issue with COVID19 is that there is a lot we don't know about it. What the medical community found (and the reason why it's so important to slow/stop the spread) is the extremely volatile nature of how it effects people: Person A can get it and be completely asymptomatic (aka their immune system did its job), person B can get it and be fine then drop dead of a heart attack because it caused a blood clot, person C's immune system may not be able to fight it off without going haywire and needing a ventilator, or person D might recover but with permanently reduced lung capacity.

Now, with that being said: I live in Broward County, FL. It and Miami-Dade are known as the "hotspots" for COVID19 down here. A bunch of locals have said that they have signed up to be tested at the testing centers and didn't end up going (They got tired of waiting and drove off, maybe they forgot, had to make other plans, etc) yet 2-3 days later they would receive a phone call that their test results were in and it was POSITIVE. They have tried to inform our local news affiliates, but no one seems to listen.

they need to find different masks for the pit reports so you can hear what they're saying, they were very muffled. you could hear some of the racers very plain through their masks.

It was almost no difference. Maybe 6 feet apart in some situations, but just about every interview, staging lanes or starting line, really no difference as you have a 150 decibel Nitro car or if they talk to drivers in helmets like the usually always did.

Those come preloaded with the Covid for your convenience ~:)~

A year ago, that might have been really funny. This year, not so much. But, it still made me chuckle.
Why in the world did NHRA look to China to make the masks?
I sure wish I noticed that before I placed my order. I never would have bought them.

Well, I was able to cancel the order. The person on the phone did not want to hear why I canceled. But, I told her anyway.

You had to wear a mask from the time you entered the track until the time you left. And that included while you were outisde and working on your car in the pits

And what if you didn't? Would they kick you out? That just goes to illustrate the stupidity of the whole thing. It is arbitrary and unenforceable, and infantilizes grown men. It is a shame watching people who actually understand accepting risk, and strap into 330 mph machines, forced to act like this, of all things, poses any meaningful risk. It's pathetic PC posturing on the part of NHRA, and no one should stand for it.

I’m just glad we are seeing some racing again! From what I saw NHRA did great with the mask policy and the stands looked like they were social distanced. If we don’t adhere to the rules we won’t be seeing racing much longer. I would have no problem wearing a mask so we can keep on racing until this is over.

I sure hope we have some trolling going on in this thread...because I sure don't want to believe some here could still be that clueless after everything that has happened this year. They just shut down a large portion of Southern California again today.

Ok... no offense but I'm not going to base what is rational off of what California politicians do. Unless one assumes it is exactly the opposite- that's usually a good bet. But seriously, I would hope that motorsports fans and participants are reasonable enough to realize that the risk assessment on this thing is way out of whack. Just looking at the numbers of positive cases, it's clear that most people either had it, have it, or will have it before long. Most will never even show significant symptoms. A minority will have severe symptoms, and an extremely small proportion will die. But regardless of how scared you are of it, it's out there and nothing is going to stop it until it runs its course.

So enough with the facemask theatre and the quixotic attempts to control it. Time to put our big boy pants on and deal with whatever hand we are individually dealt.

................Now, with that being said: I live in Broward County, FL. It and Miami-Dade are known as the "hotspots" for COVID19 down here. A bunch of locals have said that they have signed up to be tested at the testing centers and didn't end up going (They got tired of waiting and drove off, maybe they forgot, had to make other plans, etc) yet 2-3 days later they would receive a phone call that their test results were in and it was POSITIVE. They have tried to inform our local news affiliates, but no one seems to listen.
sam, do you have more evidence supporting this? very interesting.

Ok... no offense but I'm not going to base what is rational off of what California politicians do. Unless one assumes it is exactly the opposite- that's usually a good bet. But seriously, I would hope that motorsports fans and participants are reasonable enough to realize that the risk assessment on this thing is way out of whack. Just looking at the numbers of positive cases, it's clear that most people either had it, have it, or will have it before long. Most will never even show significant symptoms. A minority will have severe symptoms, and an extremely small proportion will die. But regardless of how scared you are of it, it's out there and nothing is going to stop it until it runs its course.

So enough with the facemask theatre and the quixotic attempts to control it. Time to put our big boy pants on and deal with whatever hand we are individually dealt.
Lets just say you are right and wearing a mask doesn't help anything at all. The rules are still mandated by the government and if NHRA, the racers, and the fans don't go by their rules then they will shut it all down...and then what did we accomplish except not getting to watch any drag racing. But, at least that will give us more time to wash our big boy pants.

Last edited:
BTW, as I found out from just mentioning it on FB, what's the quickest way to get an anti-masker to have a complete meltdown? Just ask this one scenario on your social media: Let's say a vaccine is available late this year / early next year. (As I stated above) due to the volatile nature of how COVID19 effects people with no treatment or cure for it, let's say your state mandates you get the vaccine and show proof (like an ID card) you got it to the person at the front entrance to any event that involves a large gathering (Concerts, sporting events, NHRA drag races, etc). Are you going to just get the vaccine and the ID card so you can resume the joys of daily life or are you going to pout and never go anywhere just to "stick it to the man?"

Lets just say you are right and wearing a mask doesn't help anything at all. The rules are still mandated by the government and if NHRA, the racers, and the fans don't go by their rules then they will shut it all down...and then what did you accomplish except not getting to watch any drag racing. But, at least that will give us more time to wash our big boy pants.

At a minimum I would like to see pushback from the NHRA, etc. to resist these mandates. No reason for strict enforcement like Jeff was talking about; I don't see how any government could possibly require people working in their own pit areas to wear masks, for example. A public statement from the NHRA saying that "these rules are absolutely asinine and we will only be complying to the strict letter of the law because we are being forced to, and please flood the mailbox of the governor/county executive/whatever with your complaint letters" would be nice. Something to give some evidence of resistance to this nonsense. But I don't see that.

Honestly, if the NHRA raced someplace with zero government restrictions do you think they would ditch the masks and crap? I don't. Much like NASCAR and other sports leagues, I think they relish the opportunity to show just how wonderfully compliant they are to the wishes of our government overlords who have recently found a new "public health" cudgel with which to beat the nation's businesses.

You don’t need a stupid ID card to prove you’ve had vaccines for flu, pneumonia, measles, mumps, smallpox, etc.
So, why in the world would anyone even mention being required to carry a card for a Wuhan virus vaccination?
It’s just more government control being exerted over the sheeples.

BTW, as I found out from just mentioning it on FB, what's the quickest way to get an anti-masker to have a complete meltdown? Just ask this one scenario on your social media: Let's say a vaccine is available late this year / early next year. (As I stated above) due to the volatile nature of how COVID19 effects people with no treatment or cure for it, let's say your state mandates you get the vaccine and show proof (like an ID card) you got it to the person at the front entrance to any event that involves a large gathering (Concerts, sporting events, NHRA drag races, etc). Are you going to just get the vaccine and the ID card so you can resume the joys of daily life or are you going to pout and never go anywhere just to "stick it to the man?"

Absolutely not. Because that is a blatantly unreasonable requirement that almost certainly wouldn't survive scrutiny. Yes, there is a precedent for mandatory vaccinations, but that was a case with very limited scope and honestly may not withstand constitutional scrutiny itself if challenged in the right way. Which I hope someone does. But in the case of covid, we know that the risk to most people is very, very small. A fraction of a percent chance of death if you are symptomatic (most won't be). The risk of any medical intervention, including even known safe vaccines, is non-zero; the true risks of the covid vaccine would not be quantifiable for some time. You cannot mandate that a person take an unknown but non-zero risk in order to protect against something that poses essentially no risk to them individually. I'm sure states will try, but I expect an immediate challenge followed by a stay, then months or years of legal wrangling resulting in defeat for Big Brother.

And I am not anti-vax by any means; quite the contrary in fact. I think people who don't vaccinate their kids for truly dangerous diseases are idiots (but should be free to do so). However, I never get a flu shot and wouldn't get a covid vaccine either should one become available. Mostly because I know it tweaks certain people that individuals are allowed to make those kinds of decisions about their own bodies and health.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back