Luigi Novelli kicked out of indy! (2 Viewers)

The CompetitionPlus.com article is not even close to the true.On the tire smoking pass the only thing that happened is the puke tube hose ripped and the car got oil on its tires causing it smoke the car also got sideways and he lifted.We burn a head on our second pass where the spark plug blow out 8tenths into run and the car still run a .860something 60foot and put 2 holes out later in the run and still ran 4.09et. I do the bottom end on the car so I know what we did!I know we didn't have 7 oildowns this year and there was no official reveiw.

Last edited:
After looking at all the results on NHRA from all the race we ran there is only 2 times the trucks rolled both being at Indy.We've ran 16 passes at NHRA races this year. No where near the 7 the rule book talks about.

Back In the Day West coasters remember Arlie Langlo Zip Code dragster?
BOOM BOOM!
Man he would have been gone at Winternationals for the entire year!

If you send Burke a email on DRO the picture that pops up after hitting send button is Arlie!

Hey he was a great guy to talk to just used the real used stuff from other Big Show cars!

Arlie Langlo still can't get his act together. He was testing at Famoso in Bakersfield, CA. a few months ago and that car can't even do a burnout without something going wrong. Another sportsman racer there asked me "Oh is that the Langlo bomb on the line right now?"

Arlie Langlo still can't get his act together. He was testing at Famoso in Bakersfield, CA. a few months ago and that car can't even do a burnout without something going wrong. Another sportsman racer there asked me "Oh is that the Langlo bomb on the line right now?"

That's funny my mom used to make us put our heads down for safety reasons when we were little when he would run at pomona:)

I can think of a couple better financed teams that have blown up a ton of stuff in consecutive runs. Don't recall any of them getting the boot. Doesn't really seem fair.

Just reread the rulebook about four times over (page 47). On the subject of oildowns, it only mentions disqualification from the event in the case where a team has had 7 or more oildowns in a season. Multiple oildowns at the same event only increases fines and loss of points.

So, I must assume that Luigi and co. had at least 7 during the year (including the 3 at Indy), and NHRA used that to call a stop to it. It does say that NHRA has the right disqualify and to require clean test runs before readmitting the team -- after 7 or more oildowns in a season.

Interesting, though, it says: "NHRA will review with the team its season performance. As a result of that review, further action may be taken...". Did they "review it" with the team? Who knows...

is it 7 in a year as in season, a year as in calendar year OR a season's worth of races for that driver. For those that don't race the full schedule it could go back several years. Not sure just asking and it would seem to allow some loopholes for them to justify this.

is it 7 in a year as in season, a year as in calendar year OR a season's worth of races for that driver. For those that don't race the full schedule it could go back several years. Not sure just asking and it would seem to allow some loopholes for them to justify this.

No, it's very specifically a season (e.g. Feb-Nov). In fact the rules very carefully point out that credits don't carry over -- so why should penalties?

I remember back in the day (70's) when every time Paul Longnecker came up to make a run, whoever was on the PA, Evans or Partridge, stated very clearly....."Battle Stations". And rightfully so. One run in G'ville in '74 or '75, he made a pass and it started eating itself up around 700' or so and then a big boomer. We were in the staging lanes (sportsman car lanes were at the far end of the track at that time) getting ready for a round of comp when all this happened and ducked behind a motorhome in the lanes as we heard parts hitting the motorhome and whizzing by us. Very scary to say the least.

Late...........Mitch

That's Narly!!
I'm trying not to laugh at the "Battle Stations" comment. That would have me cracking up and running for cover.

At Houston in 2005 we were told to pack it up with 3 consecutive oildowns in qualifiying and that is how I understand it to be 3 consecutive oildowns in qualifiying you are DQ, and dont come back till its fixed, Mind you we had 2 at 2004 LV #2 6 months or so earlier

Sean, were you on Bill Ancona's car? I was at the Houston race when they told him to pack it up and leave. I remember seeing him blow up his A-fueler under the tower at Dallas. They tried to start the car and it died, he pulled the fuel pumps on and told them to keep cranking it until it went BOOM!:confused:

It's a shame to see this happen to a budget team, perhaps all they need to turn it around is some help not BASHING.

Bob sent you a private message.

:)

2003 - 2008 till he sold the McKinney car (DSR Skull Gear Car)which sux that we found the problem on why it was only going 1000-1200' and then it just got too expensive to race anymore.

Especially since I have a big crush on Kelly now;)and even thu I grew up in N.Texas I wont be goin back there as much as I was.:mad:

Last edited:
Sure hope they can get this worked out. Spent some time talking with them at Brainerd. They were very nice to me and treated me well.

Keep at it guys. I'm behind you!!

Hello all,
I will say, Luigi and crew are probably some of the best people in drag racing. I know for sure we would not be where we are without the support of Luigi and Co. When I crashed in 1998 Luigi was one of the first guys to help us through the tough times, and again he was the first one there when we decided we wanted to go back racing.
I think he was dealt a tough hand this past weekend, I do not think the punishment was fitting, there are for sure some big teams that have a much higher oil% than he had.
The spark plug broke at the crimp not even in the head so how was he supposed to fix that. It is just a shame how quick they react to certain things, I have said it before, we once got dq'ued from a run because our blower was so old no one in tech knew what it was. To there defense after a few hours of arguing we were let back in.
Anyhows, this sport needs the little guy to survive, I bet the top 15 nascar teams make money, I also bet only a few teams in each class make money in Drag Racing. So by my math NHRA needs a lot of owners who are willing to lose money for fans to have cars to watch.
Thanks for the time,
Bobby Lagana Jr.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back