Luigi Novelli kicked out of indy! (1 Viewer)

Is NHRA trying to push the lower budgeted teams and older drivers out?

Bob... while they do have the oil down policy that they used to get you guys on.... your statement here is felt by many other lower budgeted TF teams as well.... they are stating to feel very unwelcomed at the NHRA events...

Billy

When I'm at an event and Luigi comes to the line I always step out for a beer and a dog because there is a big oildown on the way ! He does seem to have a problem of keeping the oil in the engine ....it's a running joke with me and my friends !

Not to be mean,but i feel the same way when he runs too.

I remember back in the day (70's) when every time Paul Longnecker came up to make a run, whoever was on the PA, Evans or Partridge, stated very clearly....."Battle Stations". And rightfully so. One run in G'ville in '74 or '75, he made a pass and it started eating itself up around 700' or so and then a big boomer. We were in the staging lanes (sportsman car lanes were at the far end of the track at that time) getting ready for a round of comp when all this happened and ducked behind a motorhome in the lanes as we heard parts hitting the motorhome and whizzing by us. Very scary to say the least.

Late...........Mitch

I just feel that out of the twenty passes we've made this year and to have only 3 oildowns,NHRA acted a little severe.How about a warning or say get some outside the team help.

Bob,

When Haddock had the same experience, he brought in Paul Smith and NHRA let him back without question. I believe Mr Novelli could explore the same option with success (my feeling only).

Ken

As far as the Palmer deal, it's Scott Palmer not Doug. At Indy '06, he oiled his lane on Friday night and the first run on Saturday. The second pass on Saturday, he blew it up so bad he oiled both lanes. Of all the runs Palmer made that year, it was almost always an oildown. NHRA did boot him out at Indy. Does anybody remember who his crew chief was? As far as the Paul Romine / John Mitchell deal, that thing blew up on every run. Does anybody remember who the crew chief was? Larry Fraizer tuned both cars. In Luigi's case, it's different. It's might be on fire more often than other cars but just because it's on fire doesn't always mean there is stuff on the track. I think kicking Luigi out was totally unfair. Let's see, run off sponsors, kick cars out, sounds good to me. How long will it be before NHRA runs an 8 car field at National Events?

Dave

Last edited:
I agree that they need to make the leakers fix there problems. I dont know the exact amout of runs Luigi has made this year, but 3 oil downs isint that bad. Its probably based off a percentage or something or b/c 2 of them happened closely. Ofcourse, it also depends on who you are. Thats just the way it is. I can tell you if any of the big teams did it, and some have in the past, nothing happens. I dont know how Urs and WD didnt get kicked outta Houston this year. 2 maybe 3 times they oiled it down. Ofcourse the track owner himself was there sponsor for the race so that "might" have had something to do with it.

Bingo! We have a winner.

It was Paul Romine, but he brought his Carquest sponsorship over to John Mitchell's car. After that team was told to park it until they could prove they would not be a leaker, Romine took his Carquest over to the Carrier Bros. After this happened, John Mitchell's car has never been seen on the track again.

Back In the Day West coasters remember Arlie Langlo Zip Code dragster?
BOOM BOOM!
Man he would have been gone at Winternationals for the entire year!

If you send Burke a email on DRO the picture that pops up after hitting send button is Arlie!

Hey he was a great guy to talk to just used the real used stuff from other Big Show cars!

Dave Labs is correct, it was Scott Palmer not Doug! Also anyone remember when Jack Wyatt got suspended until he could make 3 straight clean runs? I think that was around 02-'03!

Dave Labs is correct, it was Scott Palmer not Doug! Also anyone remember when Jack Wyatt got suspended until he could make 3 straight clean runs? I think that was around 02-'03!

OH Jack remembers it well...lol.. and i believe a $11,000 or $12,000 fine.. for get what he said.. i will have to ask him again....

what i believe Jack got miffed at was.. he made one of his runs no problems at all with his car.. then two sets of cars made clean passes.. then a certin top flopper team made a pass and spun the tires... then blamed Jack for their car not making a pass .... never mind the two other cars that made passes with no problems inbetween...lol.....

Billy

It was Paul Romine, but he brought his Carquest sponsorship over to John Mitchell's car. After that team was told to park it until they could prove they would not be a leaker, Romine took his Carquest over to the Carrier Bros. After this happened, John Mitchell's car has never been seen on the track again.

I was at Fireturd in '98 or '99 when John Mitchell/David Grubnic had the big pit fire ... almost got my eyebrows singed!!! We came back a lil while later to check things out and there were all kinds of blue shirts lined up to chew on John's arse. Don't believe they made another pass that weekend either ...

Just reread the rulebook about four times over (page 47). On the subject of oildowns, it only mentions disqualification from the event in the case where a team has had 7 or more oildowns in a season. Multiple oildowns at the same event only increases fines and loss of points.

So, I must assume that Luigi and co. had at least 7 during the year (including the 3 at Indy), and NHRA used that to call a stop to it. It does say that NHRA has the right disqualify and to require clean test runs before readmitting the team -- after 7 or more oildowns in a season.

Interesting, though, it says: "NHRA will review with the team its season performance. As a result of that review, further action may be taken...". Did they "review it" with the team? Who knows...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back