Live vs On Time (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
So how's that whole "live TV is gonna save the world" thing going? One washout and just drying the track now with less than two hours before it goes live again.

I'm just not sure what the big deal is about live TV. Read Bobby's article here: http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...pn2-ready-for-live-tv-need-help-with-weather-

Notice the last part. You see what I think people on the Mater and elsewhere have said all along. It's not live TV that matters, it's predictable TV.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. While I appreciate that ESPN is the big dog in the cable TV sports world, I think NHRA should shop it around for someone who can give them predictable, and good, air times. Not 1am ET, and whatever it is, start it when it's scheduled. Is that Speed, MAV, or who knows?

But IMHO live isn't the thing, finding it and and being there when you tune in is the key.

One can only listen to just so many interviews before they turn the channel. Waiting another few hours for ESPN2 to put together a good program is not going to hurt anyone.

Drag racing is just not a sport that lends itself well to live TV.

I agree...ensuring predictable would be better than live attempts.

I appreciate their interest in trying to make it happen, but like Force said in his live comments yesterday, Owner/CC/Driver combos will have the toughest time making the live call, and they usually make for the best stories. An oil down can happen in any motorsport, but usually they just drive around the rice hull or an "oil" flag is waved. One oil down here, and they have to return the lane to it's previous performance, or it's unfair. Clean runs would equal great live TV, but in this sport that lives on the edge between brilliant performance and catastrophic failure of power plants, it's never been a good fit for live (unless you're in the stands)

NBC's 24hr sports channel sure picked up the baton for most motorsports, but I will back ESPN because they took NHRA when few others would for entire seasons. There's always channels that want to cherry pick, but few are willing to tackle such a long motorsports season like NHRA has.

I just don't get it. I don't get why "live" makes so much difference. I get the whole "social media" effect, but I'm just not sure it makes all that much difference. Or at least not enough to warrant all the risk, problems, and passion.

Yes, I know the results before the show comes on, but I still watch the show. I'm sitting here watching the show and my 86 year old dad just don't understand the sport. Wants to watch, wants to care. Live doesn't matter. Understanding matters. Wish teaching people about the sport mattered as much as "live" does.

Just as most people will never get throttle stop racing no matter how much it is explained. So it's best to just live and let live and enjoy the show! If it's such a problem for it to be live to you, record it and watch it later. :confused:

I think it's going well. A number of in-depth stories...a little drama with Wilk...a good start for new viewers since there is no NASCAR competition today.

If it's such a problem for it to be live to you, record it and watch it later. :confused:

Awww come on, honest, you're not confused, you just want to drop a simple comment like it somehow ends the discussion. It's about exactly what we saw today. tons of interviews and tons of pit shots (nothing wrong with pit action) but basically, they truncate the actual racing action to slot enough time to do the live coverage. it's about wanting to see full coverage of the race action. It's a different format all together.

I will say, if someone that never saw drag racing tuned into today, they would say "there's not much racing going on"

What's up with the audio? With the extra reverb it sounds like everybody is talking through Mr. Microphones at times.

they're piping the ESPN commentary over the track PA system, so it's sounds like a tin can

I would've wanted to see other racing during the 45 min between semis & finals. However, since the Sportsman Classes got screwed again(what :rolleyes: ) this time by weather, I guess it was OK.
I should've done my normal routine of just watching the DVR after the entire race was over.

Funny thing is that I recorded it and watched it later, so I still missed the live aspect of it.

After watching it, yikes. The announcers did great but there was just waaaaaay to much down time. I felt like I was watching a rain delay with all the filler.
I had thought (ok hoped) that they would use some of that time to show a few sportsman passes. Then mix in the interviews and "drama" in the pits.

After 15 minutes I just fast forwarded through it so that I could actually, ya know, watch racing.

I don't get the whole needing to be live thing but it doesn't bother me, I can fast foward through the downtime. Live finals might be a better option though. I would think new fans would be turned off by such a long time with nothing going on.

My main concern is with the short time frame, does it become a safety issue.

That was the best drag racing telecast that I have seen in a long time. It was like I was watching two races today...one was the cars on the track, and the other was the crews in the pits. Anyone that doesn't think that going rounds doesn't drain the energy out of these crew guys, then take a good look at Travis when he was waiting for Wilk to do his burnout in the final. Having the track a little less then 100%, leveled the nitro field a little, and it was nice to see some of the non mega buck teams in the finals. I have a friend of mine that had never seen a drag race on tv, or in person, and she just called me a few minutes ago to tell me that she watched it today and that she is hooked. She couldn't believe how fast and intense the crews are when getting the cars ready for the next round. Now, she wants to know if I can get here some tickets for the next Vegas race.:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
I just don't get it. I don't get why "live" makes so much difference. I get the whole "social media" effect, but I'm just not sure it makes all that much difference. Or at least not enough to warrant all the risk, problems, and passion.

Yes, I know the results before the show comes on, but I still watch the show. I'm sitting here watching the show and my 86 year old dad just don't understand the sport. Wants to watch, wants to care. Live doesn't matter. Understanding matters. Wish teaching people about the sport mattered as much as "live" does.

Chris, it's called the Internet and social media! In this instant results environment we live in, Live is where it's at! Otherwise....change the channel.

I am watching the race now so I am not sure how the show was, but being at the track I only had about 15 minutes of down time between rounds all day long. (Just enough time to go to the bathroom and get some food). The day flew by with the constant action on the track, I give the NHRA credit for this as it had a ton of attention on Twitter. Many of NASCAR's stars were tweeting about the telecast which is a first for NHRA.

This seemed to be more of a marketing adventure than a bold new moment in motorsports TV. If this was the plan, an hour of flacking Castrol or Napa, the drag racing gods got the last laugh. In t/f, C and J and Qatar got great air time for gratis, along with Snap On and LRS in f/c. Being a Tim Wilkerson fan, it was very cool. I have to wonder if the advertising people on Financial Way will bill Wilk for the time.

Another clumsy and ill conceived NHRA adventure.

I think it is a nice change of pace. To me it is like the 4 wide nationals. In no way would I like it to be this way all of the time, but is cool to have something a little different once or twice a year. Hopefully they don't try and make this the normal.

I must admit, I enjoyed it.

The amount of time they spent showing the crews servicing the cars kept me glued to the tv. However, I like watching that stuff. A relative visiting me happen to walk thru the living room when I was watching and asked if it was live. When I said yes, he sat down and watched. However, since not much racing was being shown, he got up and left.

Overall, I liked the novelty but don't think the shortened turnaround time is good idea. I want to see side-by-side racing and the shortened turnaround jeopordizes that by way of a team not making the call or a car that was not cooperating.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back