Lions Inaugural Funny Car Championships-1969 (1 Viewer)

Larry, what is the story behind the cowboy hat? That really is your trademark. I'd be at Lions & see the cowboy hat & know it was you. Trivia: when Garlits had the crash, I always thought it was you that picked him up out of the car. I think I saw you running to the car. Later found out it was Mickey Thompson, who had a black cowboy hat as well. That was a day I won't forget.
Cliff
first Mickey did not have a hat on that day, I was the first to Don then I went to shut of the motor in the front half of the car as I did it started to lean out because when the car came apart it pulled the fuel shut off cable. mickey came in at that time with others. I then checked out the Spectators an spotted the young man in the stands with the arm injury so I went to the stand to help him.

As far as the hat, Magic muffler was giving away straw promotion hats an I found the rubber did not get in my thinning hair (now) gone. so I bought a black one an that was it. One of my old hats is now in New Zealand a gift to a good friend over there who asked for one to add to his large collection of drag race items. he and his car club invited me to New Zealand in 2017 to start the races there, so I used my old hat there, the people in New Zealand are unbelievable and the racing is like back in the good old days.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter AKA have hat will travel

Cliff
first Mickey did not have a hat on that day, I was the first to Don then I went to shut of the motor in the front half of the car as I did it started to lean out because when the car came apart it pulled the fuel shut off cable. mickey came in at that time with others. I then checked out the Spectators an spotted the young man in the stands with the arm injury so I went to the stand to help him.

As far as the hat, Magic muffler was giving away straw promotion hats an I found the rubber did not get in my thinning hair (now) gone. so I bought a black one an that was it. One of my old hats is now in New Zealand a gift to a good friend over there who asked for one to add to his large collection of drag race items. he and his car club invited me to New Zealand in 2017 to start the races there, so I used my old hat there, the people in New Zealand are unbelievable and the racing is like back in the good old days.

1610841353935.png

1610841373764.png

1610841394301.png

Cliff

Cliff and or all that wish to please Google. (some closure for one of drag racing history's mysteries) I am very proud I was able to be at the right place at the right time.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back