Lee Beard says what's on his mind (1 Viewer)

An organized conversation of a reputable figure, but nothing new... Everyone is already talking about this, but hopefully NHRA can listen to men that are spending millions a year... Thanks Lee and Jeff! Can't wait for the second part.. The marketing segment should be interesting...

CJ Curtsinger

Their needs to be a chorus with a loud band to get the changes necessary I guess.
Track conditions are why Lee gets paid the big bucks.
Billy could plant some trees or something.

The lanes have rarely been equal all year. Thanks to Lee for pointing this out. And he's right...the show isn't anything like it used to be. Personally the qualifying is more entertaining than the actual elimations.

In my opinion, they need to eliminate the one-lace race tracks and find a way to shorten the show. It shouldn't take 6 hours to determine a winner. They're only racing 2 miles if they've won. Every other form of motorsports gets the job done in around half the time. If they shorten the show you'll find it more TV friendly with better coverage on the tube. It's such a long drawn out affair that it's just not attractive for networks to pick it up or show it live. Secondly, they need to develop a new option to insure 4 full rounds of qualifying. Some of these one and two round events are just silly. I'm sure the racers are already screaming...the fans need to as well.

Let's just hope Lee's words are heard and acted on. Otherwise, the crowds won't grow, the purses won't grow but the ticket prices will.

First I appreciate the fact that Lee Beard had what it takes to step up and tell the truth.

As for shorting the show?? Well the first consideration is that we are NOT like other Motorsports. It takes a certain amount of time to prepare these cars so they can make a decent run. So to shorten the show would require one of two things.

1. Reduce the time between rounds. Possible but you will open yourself up to more mistakes under the pressure of time and such which COULD reduce the quality of the show.

2. Reduce the size of the field so there is one less round of racing. Not the best option in my book. Of course there could ba first round of eliminations on Saturday night????

There seems to be a real issue with track preparation this year. I am sure there are people more knowledgable than me who can talk about it. I had not considered the different track prep compunds but that would explain alot of stuff. Myabe they should stop buying it at Walmart.......;)

jim

There seems to be a line of thinking that goes....."the crewchiefs earn big money to figure out these race tracks so they shoud quit whining about track prep". While this is true, the subject of track prep needs some comparisons. It would be like telling someone to figure out a math problem but not giving them all the variables(ie sometimes x = 4 and sometimes x = 7 ??) and then saying you make the big money, why can't you come up with the correct answer every time? The tracks, weather, tires, and all the other combination data are enough variables.
At least in my opinion, the track prep should be a constant. :)
The track cleaning, rubber machine, traction compound, should be applied as consistently as possible at every event, every day.

IMO, there are ways to accomplish what is being discussed, faster turn around, better racing, lower costs etc.

1) Do away with the air clutch timers. Go with electronics only that can be tied to wheel rpm. Yes, that is traction control, but it will provide for more side by side runs. Furthermore, traction control will not make a good run better, it will only make a bad run better.

2) Go back to 90% (less damage).

3) Take out some wing angle or reduce wing size (less pressure on the tire). Better yet, make it a variable specification. More at some tracks and less at others.

4) Don't rebuild engines between rounds. New bullet for each round. 45 minute turn around between runs. It has been done in the past when bad weather was threatening. This does not mean 4 bullets for Sunday, only two, one in the car and one being rebuilt. Burned or crashed race car, replace it with backup car. No pit thrash to rebuild damaged car.

5) Mandate one track surface, groomed with one type of compound, from one manufacturer. A written policy on when and how a track is to be groomed.

Look this ain't rocket science, it's entertainment. In order to add butts in the stands and eyeballs on the TV, the on track product has to improve. When only one car makes it down the race track, or neither car makes it down the race track, the customer (fan) is really being cheated. This isn't the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's anymore, there is plenty of new technology out there to make drag racing a prime spectator sport. Someone just has to move out the old world thinkers and start over with a fresh piece of paper.

Just my .02 cents.

Pat

There are many factors to consider when prepping the track, so a fixed procedure would probably make it worse not better.

No 2 tracks are the same, so I agree that they should all be treated individually, but I do think that the compounds used should be held to a tighter tolerance in manufacturing consistency. As far as the 85% rule is concerned, I agree that it was a knee-jerk reaction to other events, but I really think the real reason it was done was to attempt to control ET's and speed in a misguided effort to get more side by side runs. Now that we can see that idea didn't work, and has cost the teams money, it should be reviewed. It just seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to have a Track Prep procedure created and followed to eliminate the track from one of the variables on race day. If they solve this problem, then smarter people than me can debate how to get more side by side runs out of the day, ( add weight or limit blower overdrives ). I really believe that NHRA would like for all TF cars to run no faster than 4.50's and FC around 4.70's.

Interesting comments.

I will admit that track prep seems to be a sticky issue this year. Moreso, it seems than in past years. There are better minds than I who know about things like this, but it does seem that forcing a "one-size-fits-all" method on track prep isn't a good solution. All tracks are different from each other. Other variables are temperature, hummididdy, wind, time of day, etc. What works great for one set of conditions might be lousy for another set.

I seem to remember several teams trying out the "4 bullets on race day" trick, and they all seem to have gone back to using the same block until it fails. I'm guessing that every engine has it's own personality, and it'd be tough to keep a reliable combination with 4 different motors.

Jeff Burke of DRO has been calling for shorter shows for some time now. He says it would be a better product if they could finish up in a couple of hours. But he's talking from the viewpoint of a man who goes to a LOT of these races every year, is tired and wants to get home sooner on Sunday. Among his sugestions were eight car fields and no sportsman racing on Sunday.

I don't get to go to nearly as many races as I'd like for various reasons, and when I DO go, I want all the action I can get for my money. For me, that includes THREE days of racing, with sixteen car fields, and the sportsman racers. I'm not one of those people who flee the stands afte the nitro and pro stock people are done. I enjoy watching the stock, super stock and others run. (LOVE watching the SS guys hike the wheels on their launches!)

As for TV, let's face it folks. This form of motorsports simply does NOT lend itself well to live telecasts. There are just TOO many variables. One oildown, and you get 20 minutes of Paul and Mike tap dancing. Is that what you "live" proponents REALLY want? Then, what happens if during the very next pair, you have ANOTHER oildown?? More tap dancing, that's what. The only way to reliably prevent oildowns is to nueter the motors with draconian rules and sealed spec long blocks to prevent "creative" rebuilding. I really don't think anyone wants that. Dave MacClelland addressed the issue of four lane tracks in this post.

I think Pat's idea of electronic clutch management and 90% are spot on. Those cars sounded great at the Mile High's this year.

It is all about variables. Do you want 1 (track) or 2 (track & prep)?

You are right, it is not rocket science.................it is much more difficult(more variables):)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back