Late Chutes? (1 Viewer)

ah chris, that was sarcasm at Glendora's normal knee jerk reaction. and yeah, it's the extra 50 to 100 pounds of weight some have to just hang on the car to make minimum.

d'kid

Yeah I caught the sarcasm. (yeah like that would work)

Did the fuelers get bumped up in weight as well?

When the 1/2 the laundry is dumped so late at Phoenix you are in for a ride.

The added weight is definitely adding to this is issue for funny car, an issue that is multiplied on shorter runoffs.

oh yeah, to make up for the heavier tube and the huh? extra reinforcement at joints and stuff. think it was 50 pounds?

d'kid

TF + 50
FC + 100
Wish I could find the link with Ace expressing his opinion regarding this rule change ;)

Wish I could find the link with Ace expressing his opinion regarding this rule change ;)
Ah-hem....you mean this?

From the North County Times:
Capps team hopes to learn from early exit : North County Times - Californian

McCulloch did not mince words on the issue.

"I don't like the weight they've put on us," said McCulloch, a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame and a driver for more than 30 years before becoming a crew chief in 1995. "We had 55 pounds put on us last year. There was 25 pounds just because, and than another 30 after the Force incident (John Force's September crash in Dallas). That's 155 pounds in the last year, and 100 pounds can relate to a 10th of a second.

"But it is what it is, and we'll learn to live with it. We have to take what we did here and learn what we should do and what we shouldn't do."

I just dont see how adding 100 lbs to the car is causing such a problem getting it stopped. Sorry, I just dont see it.

I just dont see how adding 100 lbs to the car is causing such a problem getting it stopped. Sorry, I just dont see it.
You don't? Really!? How much force do you think there is just trying to slow down 100 pounds from 320 mph to a stop? It's a bunch. Since force goes up as a square of the speed that means that 100 lbs going 320 mph has 16 times more force than 100 lbs going 80 mph, or 64 times more force than going 40 mph. Would you like to get hit by 100 lbs going 40 mph? Probably not. Now multiply that times 64!

Last edited:
I can see it making a little difference, not being big enough that Dougie cant make the turnoff and damn near take out half the safety safari.

I can see it making a little difference, not being big enough that Dougie cant make the turnoff and damn near take out half the safety safari.

Straight from the horses mouth. From the competionplus.com link I posted above.

"A lot of drivers walking around in preseason testing at Phoenix were asking if anybody else was having a little bit harder time slowing the cars down. It’s very noticeable to me. I’ve had to go from pulling one parachute at a lot of tracks, especially Phoenix, to always pulling two chutes and getting on the brakes hard. - Ron Capps"

Last edited:
Straight from the horses mouth. From the competionplus.com link I posted above.

"A lot of drivers walking around in preseason testing at Phoenix were asking if anybody else was having a little bit harder time slowing the cars down. It’s very noticeable to me. I’ve had to go from pulling one parachute at a lot of tracks, especially Phoenix, to always pulling two chutes and getting on the brakes hard. - Ron Capps"

Dave, I believe them. They are the ones that would know. I just didnt think that added 100 lbs would cause such a problem. Guess since weight is such an issue, you'll never find my fat azz straped into one!

ah chris, that was sarcasm at Glendora's normal knee jerk reaction. and yeah, it's the extra 50 to 100 pounds of weight some have to just hang on the car to make minimum.

There were two disks of something heavy (crew was struggling to get them attached) bolted to the rear end above the pinion on the Mac Tools dragster.
I don't recall seeing weight added there before this year.

Ah-hem....you mean this?

From the North County Times:
Capps team hopes to learn from early exit : North County Times - Californian

McCulloch did not mince words on the issue.

"I don't like the weight they've put on us," said McCulloch, a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame and a driver for more than 30 years before becoming a crew chief in 1995. "We had 55 pounds put on us last year. There was 25 pounds just because, and than another 30 after the Force incident (John Force's September crash in Dallas). That's 155 pounds in the last year, and 100 pounds can relate to a 10th of a second.

"But it is what it is, and we'll learn to live with it. We have to take what we did here and learn what we should do and what we shouldn't do."

yup, that is the one. Thanks Kel Too bad he doesn't go ahead and say what he really thinks.:D

Registered member said:
“I believe the reason Tim Wilkerson (No. 1 qualifier at Pomona, 4.790 seconds at 325.22 mph and Phoenix, 4.775 at 327.03) is running like he is right now is because his car was heavy last year. A driver who had a heavy car last year would have an advantage because he has all the data to draw from previous years.
I don't remember Wilky having slowing problems at either Pomona or Phoenix this year and he sure ran fast at both events.

I could be wrong, but the point being made was that adding weight made it harder to stop...........:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back