Late Chutes? (1 Viewer)

davey

Nitro Member
Is it me or has anyone else noticed that there seem to be a lot of late chutes so far this year in the fuel classes? Just wondering if I'm hallucinating or not. :)

Late chutes are common at Firebird because the most visible landmark for the drivers is the bridge across the track and that's way past the finish line.

His wasn't late; Dougie elected to only pull one. That gets more scary each time I watch it. That woulda been horrible had he hit one of those parked trucks - or worse yet the Safety Safari. He did a helluva job..... Looked like he was doing a short turn off onto a high speed taxiway!

I don't know, maybe it's me, I think it was a brain glitch by Doug not to pull both chutes and continue forward into the desert rather than make the turn at warp speed. As far as being a good driver on that one, it was sheer luck that he did not hit more than just the banner.

That had the real potential of injuring some people.
But what the hell do I know, I'm just an armchair Q.B.

His wasn't late; Dougie elected to only pull one. That gets more scary each time I watch it. That woulda been horrible had he hit one of those parked trucks - or worse yet the Safety Safari. He did a helluva job..... Looked like he was doing a short turn off onto a high speed taxiway!

Na he had a flash back and thought he was back at Butler Mi in a Sprintcar.

I was wondering while watching of they were really late or was it due to the differetn camera angle with the bridge making it appear that they were late. They may have a long run off there but it appears the turn off they all use is very short.

I remember a few years ago Whit getting in trouble for going to fast/wild through that area. I wonder if Doug will. That was a pretty lucky and wild drive there.

I remember a few years ago Whit getting in trouble for going to fast/wild through that area. I wonder if Doug will. That was a pretty lucky and wild drive there.

The reason why Whit got in trouble is because he was constantly speeding through the turnoffs, and almost hit people on multiple occasions. He used to do it all the time and they finally had enough of it.

The deal with Doug was a one-time deal, I doubt he will get in trouble.

Is there a video clip of Doug's run? I want to show some people here at work. I was watching Sunday morning when it happened and was like "whoa Whoa WHOA!" :D Good to see no one was hurt though.

I don't know how Dan Olson will handle it, but if Ray was still there you can bet Doug would have gotten chewed out before he ever left turnaround. I have seen him do it to several drivers who came in much more under control. He always stressed at Phoenix to go into the desert if you have the slightest loss of control. That turnaround is blind for all of the workers and is the most dangerous of all of the tracks I have worked.

I am not saying there are not more late chutes but.........the extra weight may make a late chute seem way worse and one chute look like a really bad idea:)

Last edited:
Jim Head's deal was spooky, where he said he hadn't had a chute NOT deploy in how many years?

Doug's turn was USACy wasn't it?
I don't belive there is any padding on the seating surface in the car.
That musta been jarring.
BTW,
the banner he went thru was a MAC tools banner if I saw correctly....LOL

No harm, no foul.:eek:

The brakes they have are more than enough.

When you pull your chutes late, and only 1 chute at that, you'll get the same result.

I think the brakes did a hell of a job getting the car stopped after going 318mph.

ah chris, that was sarcasm at Glendora's normal knee jerk reaction. and yeah, it's the extra 50 to 100 pounds of weight some have to just hang on the car to make minimum.

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back