keystone nationals 2023 (1 Viewer)

I get so frustrated at NHRA TV. Did it broadcast today? I see no reference to it on the app and searched. Nothing. I like to think I’m a pretty smart guy but it just ain’t there. And if you go to the home page after an event ends, it’s never there same day and you have to use the search function. I know this belongs on the other forum but nobody reads that. What am I missing (besides the race)?

Watching the rebroadcast

Did Gianna hang Gauge out to dry with her starting line process? Andrew had a look on his face like "Ya goin' in, girl??"

Tire got cold and put a flat spot on it?
when you have the best car/bike why wait? Go in and force the other guys hand

I get so frustrated at NHRA TV. Did it broadcast today? I see no reference to it on the app and searched. Nothing. I like to think I’m a pretty smart guy but it just ain’t there. And if you go to the home page after an event ends, it’s never there same day and you have to use the search function. I know this belongs on the other forum but nobody reads that. What am I missing (besides the race)?

Ran fine from (at least) 9:35a 'til conclusion ca 12 noon. Just hit the LIVE button (Don't know if you can access the archive yet)

As I recall, the NHRA rain policy is that if 2 rounds of the Fuel cars are completed, and then the Semi's and the Finals are postponed due to rain, there is no refund. I believe that policy is printed on the tickets.

It was real good to see Doug Kalitta finally win one. And this after - what - the 3rd year that Alan Johnson has been on board? A lot has to go right on race day to win 4 rounds these days. And, luck has to be on your side as well. Hard to believe Doug has had such a long dry spell. And with most of the teams in front of them in the standings going out early, it was a good day to win.

And how about Wilkerson Jr and his car going to the FC Finals with that .88? Green is competitive at every race with Dan (presumably) calling the shots - sometimes more so than Tim W. I think Dan should be getting more recognition for how the Green car has performed this year. I assume Father and Son share info, but as we have seen, two cars just don't always perform the same even if they have the same tune-up.

So. Did anyone else laugh when they saw Matt Hartford's parking lot burnout was pointed directly at the LPG tank on the other side of the lot?

I mean, if I'm having THAT bad a time with the car, I'm not sure that's the risk to take 😁

Thanks Joe. I will follow it online. I'm old school. I used to call the Castrol 900 number years ago to hear the results ? Anyone remember that ?
Not only do I remember the Castrol 900 number, I also remember being here on 'Mater with a thread just for talking about the race as it was happening live on TV

Was that like 20 years ago, Ghio?

Based on the time you posted, the day may not have been archived yet. I was driving back from PA and was able to view it tonight easily in the "Past" area.

On NHRA TV it is frustrating that on some race days after the live stream ends you are not able to view it for several hours. On some race days you are able to view it immediately. I suspect that the Reading Monday stream was over at around 1:00 pm E.S.T But it did not appear as a viewable past race day until around 7:00 pm.

This is possibly the “Elephant in the Room” that nobody wants to talk about. If it was tire failure Goodyear and NHRA will try to figure out how to slow these cars down. The cars are back to going fast and the tire can only stand so many heat and stretch cycles with over 10,000 lbs downforce. It would be interesting to see how many RPM the tire was going when it failed. The only answer is a new tire which would probably be cost prohibitive. I can see them marking the tires and only letting them have so many passes on them.
Roughly 2500rpm, allowing for the growth and 485fps (330mph). Hell of a lot of energy in that thing; we saw how far it flung rubber when it blew, probably 200 feet in the air. Kalitta's blowout could have debris related but I wouldn't know. In any case I haven't noticed a problem with high speed blowouts for quite some time now. Hopefully this one was just an isolated incident.

This is possibly the “Elephant in the Room” that nobody wants to talk about. If it was tire failure Goodyear and NHRA will try to figure out how to slow these cars down. The cars are back to going fast and the tire can only stand so many heat and stretch cycles with over 10,000 lbs downforce. It would be interesting to see how many RPM the tire was going when it failed. The only answer is a new tire which would probably be cost prohibitive. I can see them marking the tires and only letting them have so many passes on them.
Roger,
With all do respect!

Would you please read this article again, and quit talking as if you have a clue.

Not only do I remember the Castrol 900 number, I also remember being here on 'Mater with a thread just for talking about the race as it was happening live on TV

Was that like 20 years ago, Ghio?
@Martin Thomas - I have no idea anymore. I just got out of the hospital after 4 days and abandoned by my sister. I really don't want to talk about anything, with anyone at this point! It has been longer than that. But I just need some time to try and figure somethings out, that no one can help me with.

My apologies, my Friend!
Life's a *****, and then you die alone.

Ray ~ ❤️

Last edited:
Roger,
With all do respect!

Would you please read this article again, and quit talking as if you have a clue.

From the article you asked me to read again I did and this stood out to me. If you read what I said the first word was "IF", not that it was the cause. Also it said nothing about "Cycles" on the tire. This is a quote from that article.
The Funny Car team owner of the NAPA Toyota Supra said, “The cars are so much heavier. I think the rev limiter has kept them pretty much at bay.” However, he said, “I foresee them [NHRA officials] doing something here if we throw those numbers out again. I bet they’ll do something if we see those numbers up, but it’ll be small, I’m guessing. I don’t even know. I haven’t heard anything. But I can bet you if somebody runs 339 like we did or 340, the NHRA just might want to do something—just a little bit, I would think.”

Roger,
I'm not on board with the part of that article that says "unthinkable speeds by the end of this season". Both TF and FC's have been running in the upper 330s for years - Tony Schumacher ran 337 (1320 feet) 18 years ago. Both Capps and Hight have run 339 (Hight, 2017, Capps 2019) and there's been several 338s. Conditions can't get much better than they were at Maple Grove and 337 (Kalitta, the final) was top speed of the entire event if I recall. 340 is the magic number but don't bet the farm on seeing it any time soon.

Calls for Goodyear to develop a new tire at this point in time are waaay premature in my opinion.

I'm not on board with the part of that article that says "unthinkable speeds by the end of this season". Both TF and FC's have been running in the upper 330s for years - Tony Schumacher ran 337 (1320 feet) 18 years ago. Both Capps and Hight have run 339 (Hight, 2017, Capps 2019) and there's been several 338s. Conditions can't get much better than they were at Maple Grove and 337 (Kalitta, the final) was top speed of the entire event if I recall. 340 is the magic number but don't bet the farm on seeing it any time soon.

Calls for Goodyear to develop a new tire at this point in time are waaay premature in my opinion.
“We also have a couple variations of this tire on the shelf that we feel comfortable rolling out if we needed to,”

Does anyone ever stop and wonder how many dzus fasteners and debris go unnoticed and are left on the racing surface, muchless a beer can? 341mph and a tire vaporizes.?

Seriously! Goodyear's name are on those tires!
Do you think for a moment, that they would risk another lawsuit? Muchless NHRA

I'm done guys. Ponder umongst yourselves.
SMFH

Last edited:
not NHRA related but Jeff Lutz posted a picture of the $hit he picked up off the track in his morning walk before their NOT Street Outlaws thing but anothe one. You'd be surprised what is laying on the track that is missed.
1695164084969.png

Didn't Britney Force hit 340 in qualifying earlier this year? Or was it not backed up?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back