JR Todd (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was reading on Comp Plus that JR Todd was the first Black driver to win T/F in NHRA, some years ago, and now with his F/C win at Sonoma, he is first Black driver to win F/C. I got to thinking about this. I'm sure that there were a few Black drivers in T/F years ago, but can't remember if they won national events in any sanctioning body. F/C, I well remember Malcom Durham, The DC LIp, very popular driver in 1970's. I'm wondering if he won an IHRA race or maybe AHRA, or maybe it was just some big independent races.

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone remembers about the Black drivers. Alan R, does this ring a bell? Does Lewis have anything in his super brain about this? I wish I could remember 1/10th of what he does. :)

Tony McCallum won the 1989 IHRA Spring Nationals.

Eric Reed was runner-up at the 1989 NHRA Southern Nationals.

DON PRUD0MME!! - Hello??

Antron Brown lives for rush of NHRA:
Originally Published: February 16, 2012
In a sport with only a handful of African-American pioneers, Brown had his heroes, too. He rattles off the names of greats such as Don Prudhomme, "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Kenny Bernstein, Eddie Hill and John Force. Only Prudhomme was African-American, and Brown hopes he can inspire some young racer the way Prudhomme inspired him.
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/stor...merican-driver-nhra-top-fuel-dragster-circuit

Last edited:
I really don't care what he is. Don't know him personally, but he seems to be very respectable and a great ambassador for the sport. Congrats, JR, on your first F/C win! Hoping for many more in the future!

Dons last name is very predominate in the south . It has been mentioned that he is a Creole.

Dons last name is very predominate in the south . It has been mentioned that he is a Creole.

Which reminds me - pardon the derailment - of Paul Prudhomme, the Cookin' Cajun. Put a little bit of wine in the gumbo, put a little bit of wine. Ah hell, put a little bit of wine in me!

Last edited:
tony mac's FC was beautiful.....mopar body if i recall....saw him run @ '89 nationals.
maurice dupont ran in early 90's driving larry frazier's TF.... 'hammertime'; never competitive.
seem to remember name rodney flourney(sp?), never saw him run.
wonder if larry nance still follows the sport? i don't think he ever won in PS?

Antron Brown calls out Kenny Bernstein for being African American LOL This was pretty good. He jabs one at the snake also. Just past 15:00

tony mac's FC was beautiful.....mopar body if i recall...
David Peters Design, it was beautiful. Wayne Dupuy was tuning.

califpurplesCG2_1024x1024.jpg

It's a amazing that it's even a mystery. I mean, especially in this day and age. I don't care what his ethnic backround is, he's one of the most badass and coolest racers in the sport's history. In fact it's too bad he's not still involved as an owner.

i think the only stat that should be talked about is how short the list is of drivers that have won in both top fuel and funny car.. Jr is on that list now,. . .what color he is makes no difference in my opinion. that's for the news channels to do to keep crap going.

DON PRUD0MME!! - Hello??

Antron Brown lives for rush of NHRA:
Originally Published: February 16, 2012
In a sport with only a handful of African-American pioneers, Brown had his heroes, too. He rattles off the names of greats such as Don Prudhomme, "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Kenny Bernstein, Eddie Hill and John Force. Only Prudhomme was African-American, and Brown hopes he can inspire some young racer the way Prudhomme inspired him.
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/stor...merican-driver-nhra-top-fuel-dragster-circuit

Don was available for comment....

don-prudhomme-flipping-the-bird-the-snake.jpg

i think the only stat that should be talked about is how short the list is of drivers that have won in both top fuel and funny car.

I agree. I would love to see that list, on the broadcast they said JR was the 16th driver to win in both fuel classes. I could only come up with 12 off the top of my head.

I agree. I would love to see that list, on the broadcast they said JR was the 16th driver to win in both fuel classes. I could only come up with 12 off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure I have 14 of them. Now that I'm looking for a list I can't find one.

From memory (in no particular order) - please feel free to correct me if I got one (or more) wrong:

- Snake
- Bernstein
- Worsham
- McEwen
- Todd
- Scelzi
- Johnson, Jr.
- Capps
- Head
- Kalitta
- McCulloch
- Hawley
- Oswald
- Snow
- Bazemore
- Dunn

*Note: Troxel should be on this list, so I have someone listed erroneously. Snow? Oswald? I feel pretty confident about the others, it's those two I'm not 100% sure of.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back