Josh Hart/ Brittany Force (1 Viewer)

People like to harp on reaction times but nobody ever talks about how the car randomly falls off performance wise.

She went down a whole tenth this past weekend. Had Hart beat, reaction time and all, until the cylinders went out. Anyone thinking that cylinders had nothing to do with that race, wasn't watching the same race as me.

Now you've done it Tony. All the JFR fans are going to turn on Josh.
No way will I turn on Josh, this story seems a bit strange though, with Josh racing in A/Fuel with (I believe} all 3 Force Girls, who you never hear about getting into controversies with fellow competitors

People like to harp on reaction times but nobody ever talks about how the car randomly falls off performance wise.

She went down a whole tenth this past weekend. Had Hart beat, reaction time and all, until the cylinders went out. Anyone thinking that cylinders had nothing to do with that race, wasn't watching the same race as me.
There have been a couple races where the car’s performance fell off on race day, but the car performs about 90% of the time while the driver performs about 10%. She is always second on the lights. Sad but true. There are drivers who will personally win you x races a year and some who will personally lose you x races. No doubt where she falls. Needs work quick.

I view it like this - Grubby has performance capability that's about .05 better than the nearest pack of top runners on a typical day. Brit's RTs being somewhat late and inconsistent causes him to factor that in on Sundays tune-up needing to be closer to the edge, and there you have their inconsistency. If he could rely on not having to use all of that up every round because of her lights, they would be dominating rather than the Capco boys

If you give Grubnic some time he will master a tune-up on the setup that he's given. Force is a in-house set-up obviously, Theirs are most likely different than DSR and AJPE. I do believe that he is pushing his tune up a bit hotter than he would like to compensate for Brit's reaction times.

There have been a couple races where the car’s performance fell off on race day, but the car performs about 90% of the time while the driver performs about 10%. She is always second on the lights. Sad but true. There are drivers who will personally win you x races a year and some who will personally lose you x races. No doubt where she falls. Needs work quick.
The car outperforms the field and then drops back to earth a round later. The car got slower and slower in Charlotte. Hart ran his best of the day in the finals. She ran her worst. Nearly the same thing in Reading. 3.66, 3.65, 3.70, and then 3.77 when she lost to Billy. The car performing 90% of the time is a way bigger number than what it actually is.

The car outperforms the field and then drops back to earth a round later. The car got slower and slower in Charlotte. Hart ran his best of the day in the finals. She ran her worst. Nearly the same thing in Reading. 3.66, 3.65, 3.70, and then 3.77 when she lost to Billy. The car performing 90% of the time is a way bigger number than what it actually is.
Obviously, you don't pay attention to the temperature as the day progresses. Take Steve Torrence for instance, He ran in the 60's then final round pulled a 3.73. Track and air temperature play a huge factor in what they will run.

Obviously, you don't pay attention to the temperature as the day progresses. Take Steve Torrence for instance, He ran in the 60's then final round pulled a 3.73. Track and air temperature play a huge factor in what they will run.
Obviously I do. They fall off drastically while others climb or hover around the same numbers.

I would like to clarify that I think Grubby is as elite as a tuner as they come and I'm in no way placing the teams race day shortcomings solely on him.

TF has gotten a lot more interesting lately, with the caveat that Capco is way ahead of every other team for performance/consistency. Everyone else is running for second place. I’m not a fan of them but no denying they are the top.

The truth is .... she’s not very good at this. I’m a Force family fan but it is what it is. If I were John, I’d be having a war room like session to identify everything that can help. She has a chance to win this year but with no improvement she won’t do well next year either. Too many cars and drivers catching up. Brainstorming options like:
Testing with a real tree and car (the immediate path)
Sports psychologist
Mentoring from the best drivers
Car setup
Physical characteristics (leg position, shoes, whatever)
Etc.
For someone struggling on the tree, I would always stage first and develop a routine.

Are you assuming she hasn't done any or all of the above? Or do you know what she's tried/not tried? Just thinking the Force camp is pretty smart, I imagine there have been more than one discussion about how they lose races, whether driver or car.

Having to stage first is a handicap if you are working on your lights IMO. It makes your success depend on what your opponent does. It makes your mindset fragile. If they happen to realize you have a habit of staging first and they roll right in first, you are suddenly taken out of your game. Your mind is thinking "what now" or "crap" or "now my lights gonna suck". The best way to improve RT is to not have a care in the world if you stage first or second. Have a routine and stick to it so you can stay focused on the task at hand, not on what your opponent is doing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back