Jon asher's latest up front commentary (2 Viewers)

We have a winner. If strains credibility to believe that savvy and experienced investors got within a single shareholder vote of a $100m deal without this kind of due diligence.

Fellas, I love ya, but with all due respect you're cracking me up on this one, especially given our current economic situation.

It was also hard to believe that one of the most respected financial guys around (Madoff, he was actually held in higher regard than most people realize) would be able to run a Ponzi scheme sucking in and flushing away billions of investors funds. My experience is the more money is involved, the lazier and more gullable people get.

Fellas, I love ya, but with all due respect you're cracking me up on this one, especially given our current economic situation.

Good, that makes the feeling mutual. It's not clear what "our current economic situation" has to do with this, either.

Look, I'll be the first one to eat crow if there's any traction on this front, but a challenge of the kind you're discussing requires several inputs: world-class legal help, respected support within the community, lots of money -- and usually some aspect of secrecy with respect to your strategy (which you've largely blown by posting it all here). But hey, more power to ya...

In the meantime, I'm going back to try to understand why at our last race we we made 3 passes within .002 of a perfect 8.90 (including one bullseye) on Saturday but on Sunday couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

You be careful out there...

Tom Pattison, your suggestions about change could actually come about if a few things fell into place, things that I’m not willing to outline here right now. I’m not holding anything back that’s a big secret, but there are details I’m not at liberty to outline right now.

Paul, there is no way I’d share the things that Wally said to me because they were private. I will say that those conversations were a lot different from the letters he used to send me when I was at Car Craft. Some of those arrived with the envelopes smokin’!

I can’t address the actual ownership of the NHRA because I don’t know the answer.

Other than the actual race plants that NHRA owns, define what its assets are. You can’t put a value on pro racing because there’s no way of forcing the pro racers to continue supporting an organization. In other words, if Nitromater bought NHRA tomorrow there’s no guarantee Brandon Bernstein and Jack Beckman would race for us.

The HD Partners initial offer – clearly made without the support of the stockholders – was completely out of line with business reality. It’s just one reason those stockholders resoundingly voted down the acquisition.

Just for the record, I changed the opening of the editorial column that all of this started to reflect the fact that I was wrong about the testing comments I made. Force did nothing wrong, and neither, apparently, did NHRA. The problem was caused by the wording of the rule and the wording of the press release didn’t match. I respectfully hope that you’ll re-read my opening few paragraphs for the full story.

Jon Asher

From my weak minded point of view, it is simply a very-well orchestrated dictatorship disguised as a non-profit organization.

When/if another sanctioning body were to come forth with a better mouse trap, it might take a full week for everyone in the entire NHRA to make the move. When/if this happens, they will be a historical memory in no time flat - given the love they have nurtured among their constituency. :D:D

Another great article Jon. Thank you for your bold approach.

I can’t address the actual ownership of the NHRA because I don’t know the answer.

Other than the actual race plants that NHRA owns, define what its assets are. You can’t put a value on pro racing because there’s no way of forcing the pro racers to continue supporting an organization. In other words, if Nitromater bought NHRA tomorrow there’s no guarantee Brandon Bernstein and Jack Beckman would race for us.

Jon, in terms of assets, I hate to sound like a marketing guy, but the NHRA brand and trademark and all the associated name recognition, market awareness and all that kind of stuff is probably the most valuable asset.

On top of that they have some contractual agreements in place with some tracks and sponsors under the NHRA name that also have some value. Then they have the hard assets of the tracks they own and any long term lease agreements such as with the Pomona fairgrounds. You can also put some value on the National Dragster publication. The membership contact list and event attendee lists also are assets.

As far as ownership, I'm feeling a little better than 50/50 about it being as I've expressed in the previous posts. There are no individual owners of the NHRA organization and legally there can't be. The way the HD Partners deal was structed is also consistent with this understanding as no revenue was going to any individuals, it was all coming back to the NHRA organization.

As Bob M. stated in the previous post, I think what has happened is that as Wally Park's health failed the current board members saw an opportunity fall into their laps to run the organization as though they owned it. But I think they are on legal thin ice in doing so as I think there's a reasonable chance that NHRA members could take back control of this organization purely on a legal basis, although a boycott alone or combined with a legal challenge could also be effective.

Would it take attorneys? Yes. Would they have to be world class and mega-dollar? I don't think so. I think the opposition has made too many mistakes in a variety of areas and is pretty exposed, and when you are coming from a position that appears to be the just one, as I believe is the case here, its possible to acheive legal victories on a reasonable budget. I agree with the sentiment expressed that a high profile and well respected NHRA participant would likely have to be a highly visible part of the effort.

Chris, best of luck in getting back to your 0.002 window, and I hope nobody from the NHRA tries to come kneecap you for being on this thread.

Last edited:
So you want to take over NHRA? Do you have any idea what they do? If you answered “They put on races” you have no clue. How about insurance? How about getting involved in new legislation? How about working with communities to battle Street Racing? How about working with the FIA setting standards and rules governing Drag Racing world-wide? How about National Dragster? How about the tracks that NHRA owns? The museum? Press and marketing? Junior league? Youth and education? Should I go on?

Yes the NHRA is very different from when Wally started it, and it has changed drastically in the last 20 years. In case you missed it, so has the rest of the world. No business that I know of has survived the last twenty years without making major adjustments. When my dad started his business many years ago (early 60’s) I’m not sure he even talked to a lawyer. Now almost everyone has one on speed dial. How many organizations don’t have to have a rules committee? I think almost everyone uses “As per NHRA specs” as the safety standard. When NHRA was started I don’t believe that Wally ever thought they would own racetracks, but out of necessity they got into the business. The business of Drag Racing has changed and the NHRA as the largest governing body had to change to keep up. If you really believe that what worked in 1980 would work in today’s business environment then you are truly naïve. In 1955 four guys in a station wagon went to Kansas to put on a race. Now the starting line crew is more than double that.

Kenny Bernstein has been sponsored by Budweiser for 30 years. Do you think that his last contract was the same as his first? All of you who want the NHRA to go back to doing what they did 30 years ago are being unrealistic. The world has changed and is continuing to change. If NHRA hadn’t changed over the years they would have ceased to exist.

Jon now types on his computer and emails his story in to be posted within minutes. It used to be (I assume) a typewriter and an envelope. I think the lead time from story concept to you reading it would be at least eight weeks, in most cases much more. If Jon insisted on still typing and mailing stories in, would he still have a job?

My standard disclaimer, I am NOT the NHRA spokesperson. In this forum I am a fan.

Alan

P.S. Jon and I have had some legendary disagreements in the past, but I give him credit for getting to the bottom of the Force testing deal and setting the record straight.

I would hope people wouldn't want to take things back that many years. Although there can be things learned from then.

Alan you're smart enough, I bet sitting in the corner of the bar, with the employee glasses off and no mics or scribes around that you see some of the issues we do, maybe not as far, afterall you see things on the inside that we don't. But you know

Maybe the solutions aren't always the best but the frustration is very real and justified.

Again without appearing to be disrespectful, I believe some of us are being incredibly naïve about the subject of “controlling” the NHRA and the HD Partners acquisition situation. I don’t think anyone on this thread has enough knowledge to speak authoritatively on these subjects. I’m pretty darn sure I don’t.

Alan Reinhart is absolutely right in saying that there’s a lot more to NHRA than merely putting on races – and he’s only begun to scratch the surface with the things he listed.

He is also correct in pointing out that business today is nothing like it was when the NHRA was founded. We live in a different world now.

It is incredibly naïve to believe that drag racing will ever return to the days of trophies and tool boxes being the awards, just like it’s naïve to believe we’ll return to front-motored dragsters and Pro Stock cars using carburetors, when you can’t buy a single automobile anywhere in the world with a carburetor on it.

Wait! You mean we’re still using carbs in the era of universal fuel injection? Who knew?

We can ***** all we want – and maybe Bobby Miller is right about it being a “very-well orchestrated dictatorship” – but that doesn’t alter the fact that we literally can do nothing about it under the present circumstances.

In my opinion in order for NHRA to operate efficiently it actually does have to be a dictatorship of sorts. If the company were run on the basis of every major decision having to be made by the membership drag racing would implode from the infighting and controversies that would inevitably come about.

I strongly disagree with Paul Titchener’s suggestion that as Wally’s health failed the current board simply expanded their authority. Please remember that up until the day he died Mr. Parks was mentally sharp as the proverbial tack. His was a situation in which his body failed him at the same time that his mind was operating at its usual 110% level. To suggest that he somehow lost control is inaccurate – although even before his physical decline most of the decision-making was done by the board, sometimes with his input, sometimes without it.

With that said I would be less than fair if I also didn’t say that, to my knowledge, and in every situation in which this kind of consideration came up, NHRA president Tom Compton was extremely respectful of Wally’s history in the sport and his position in the company. Even though I vehemently disagree with Mr. Compton on many subjects, when I interviewed him not too many years ago and the question of moving the organization to Indianapolis came up his answer included the words “…and Wally’s here (Los Angeles), so we aren’t going anywhere.” Had that level of respect not been there it’s conceivable they could have packed up and moved, leaving Wally behind. There was no consideration of that.

The NHRA has spent a significant amount of money with various advertising and promotional agencies to enhance the NHRA “brand,” and to date I’ve personally seen no progress in that area – other than the occasional announcement that yet another agency has parted company with NHRA. I am still awaiting the big successes promised by the hiring of IMG, which to date has produced nothing.

Jon Asher

Again without appearing to be disrespectful, I believe some of us are being incredibly naïve about the subject of “controlling” the NHRA and the HD Partners acquisition situation. I don’t think anyone on this thread has enough knowledge to speak authoritatively on these subjects. I’m pretty darn sure I don’t.

Alan Reinhart is absolutely right in saying that there’s a lot more to NHRA than merely putting on races – and he’s only begun to scratch the surface with the things he listed.

Addressing Alan's post first, Alan, thanks for taking the time to write that well thought out response to some of comments that have been made in this thread. Your post does do a good job of making it clear that a lot of effort has been expended by the NHRA management over the past years, and many great things have come out of that effort, and we should be thankful for that.

Your post made me realize that in frustration with some of the things that have happened with the NHRA over the past few years I've made some critical comments on this forum that were probably too sarcastic in tone, and while I think the criticisms had some validity my tone was sometimes probably bordering on being disrespectful, and I'm not going to use that kind of tone here anymore.

That said, whether its a company, a team, even a family, sometimes you have to face up to the fact that even though everyone may be trying really hard in some area, sometimes you have acknowledge that the job isn't getting done well enough, and take hard stock on whether changes are required to be able to get the job done well.

Most companies have clear checks and balances in place to handle this situation. In the case of a privately held company, like NASCAR, the majority owner, in this case Brian France, can make a change at any time he thinks some aspect of the company isn't performing well. If the owner is smart and skilled, this company will succeed, and some of the decisions and directions taken by France have been brilliant, ie bringing Toyota in to diversify his manufacturer support, and negotiating what has to have been one of the most beneficial television contracts achieved by any sport.

But in this private ownership case the checks and balances are clear, if the owner makes good decisions the company does well, if he doesn't it dies, but he pays the biggest price for this.

In the case of a public company there are many owners and the checks and balances in place are more complicated, but they are there. A board of directors will control the company, but the shareholders ultimately control who these board members will be. If the company doesn't perform well, the shareholders can put pressure on the board to either make signficant changes, ie replacing the CEO, or replacing the board members themselves.

In both of these cases (private and public company) its very clear to potential investors and customers exactly how the company is controlled and what checks and balances are in place to change the company if it under performs.

Now lets contrast that to the NHRA. Jon, you stated-

"I believe some of us are being incredibly naïve about the subject of “controlling” the NHRA and the HD Partners acquisition situation. I don’t think anyone on this thread has enough knowledge to speak authoritatively on these subjects. I’m pretty darn sure I don’t."

I agree 100% with you on this statement. Unlike 99.9% of the other companies in the world its very difficult from the outside to determine exactly how the NHRA is being controlled, and what checks and balances are in place to correct its decision making team if it under performs.

You seem like a pretty sharp guy, and the fact that even you haven't been able to come to an understanding on this after all your many years of in depth involvement with the NHRA is pretty telling of how murky this situation has been.

Personally I look at and evaluate a lot of companies in the course of my business, and I've never had to spend as much time before on any other company trying to figure out how the NHRA is run and controlled, and admittedly its still not 100% clear to me.

The fact is, most companies don't try to hide this as they realize its not a good way to insure the public and potential customers that the company is being run well and should have their engagement and business. If I'm considering a long term investment or engagement with a company but I can't figure out who controls it and what checks and balances are in place if it under performs, I won't want to have anything to do with it and most others will feel the same way.

I know the current NHRA management team is trying hard, but the cold hard fact is that the organization is underperforming. Best I can tell the majority of its members are unhappy. Based on its current television contracts and relationships with other important potential sponsors and partners, overall strategic relationships with other companies don't seem to be doing very well. Financially, even accounting for the current econonic environment, things aren't looking that good.

So with any "normal" company, it definitely would be time for check and balances to kick in. In a public company the shareholders would be screaming bloody murder to replace the CEO and likely some board members along with him.

To my best understanding (and as I've stated, this is unfortunately not an easy thing to figure out) given the NHRA's 501(c)(6) structure, what is expected and is typically the case in other organizations of this type is that if the company under performs the members should have a clear mechanism to pressure the board members to make significant changes, to the point of electing different board members.

What apparently is happening with the company instead (and again, this is hard to figure out but shouldn't be) is that on what appear to be shakey legal grounds, the board members themselves are getting together and deciding if any changes need to be made.

But if things just aren't working well to the point where the declared beneficiaries of the NHRA feel its pretty clear that some board members should be replaced, its extremely unlikely that these board members alone will come to an agreement to fire one of themselves.

The current system of checks and balances in the NHRA management structure is thus fatally flawed, and to my best understanding is not in accordance with the manner in which a 501(c)(6) is to be operated, which as I've pointed out in several previous posts is expected to have strong membership input in the direction of the company.

I think for the NHRA to succeed this situation needs to be set straight, putting the members back in the rightful position of being able to strongly influence and elect board members. This is the kind of checks and balances system that is expected to be in place in this type of organization.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Change in the NHRA could come in many forms. Maybe a "palace revolt" is not the end goal, although I'm not daunted by the task list Alan lists above. I retired from a senior executive position at the largest capitalized company in the world with 50 times more headcount and budget than the NHRA.

But clearly things are not going well. Dissent is strong, attendance is not, sponsorship dollars are weak, safety is in question, and there is no future generation of racers lined up to take over the mantle from the generation that built the sport. To deny these things, or worse, blame them on the economy, is to doom it to failure.

Strong, bold, and proactive leadership is what is needed now. It is, after all, what built the sport in the first place. The level of these problems will not be solved by little half measures like 1000', $20 GA tickets, and "Race on the strip, not on the street". Where are the people with the vision for the future of the sport? Where are the people who can and will take bold action?

Like with any recovery, the first thing that needs to happen is for the NHRA to realize it has a problem. It's not clear that is the case today. To get that realization, the board needs some new blood. Some people who race today (or recently). It needs lots of input from throughout the sport, from top to bottom, from inside and out.

Why not put some key racer today on the board (KB, Snake, someone)? Add in an elected member from the Sportsman Council (whatever happened to that). Stir in an outside representative from a sports marketing company. And just for some realism, an executive from a major corporation, like most real boards have.

If you wanted to really insure support from the masses of racers, make two classes of membership: regular and voting. Voting members would be anyone with, say 10 national event entries in the last year. Those members wouldn't vote on every decision, they would elect the board. Board members would be up for 3 year terms, on a staggered basis so the whole board would be up for reelection every 3 years.

Then charge this board with some very crucial decisions in the next six months:

• Should we divest of the real estate to either a spin off company, or someone who knows how to run race tracks (calling the Charlotte area code, for example)?
  • Should we use the money from the real estate sale to fund a complete revamp of our marketing, including massive investment in sponsor recruitment, advertising, fan education, and so on.
  • What are we doing today that we can stop doing? Does ND make a boatload of money, if not kill it. Does the anti-street racing work actually do anything, if not kill it. Do we care what they do in Europe? And so on.
  • What can we do to make the sport relevant in today's world of small, fuel-injected, electronics-filled cars? People still love to see big, loud, fast cars, but no fan under 30 can relate to a carbureted, push-rod, V8. Can we establish a blue-ribbon panel to plot a course to the future technologies?
  • What single, definitive move can we make to slow the cars down and get back to the heritage of 1320' racing? There is no silver bullet, no magic spec combo, so settle on something bold and dumb (like NASCAR's restrictor plate) to get the job done asap.
  • How can we redesign our TV package to reach out to more people more effectively? Outside of people, this is our largest expense, can't we get a better bang for this buck with less time and higher production values on Speed, or VS, or something?
  • How can we, as a board, communicate more effectively with the racing community? Today, we look like a bunch of isolated dummies who don't care. How can we involve the community, both in what we decide, and in understanding the issues, so that we appear more proactive and decisive?
This is just a partial list. But this is what boards do. They listen well. They make decisions. They lead, or get out of the way. And if they don't the "shareholders" (whoever that is) need to shake it up and get people in who do.

<Climbing down off the soapbox>

Please, Alan, tell me something that makes me feel like the people in Glendora know and care about the sport. Because today, it sure doesn't feel like it to the rest of us out here.

Chris

Paul and Chris, very well stated on both of your parts. Thank you

And on a side note I nominate myself for the board:D

Chris, I agree 100% with PJ, that was a really well thought out proposal on a new direction for the NHRA.

Very interesting thread.
I have to admit I agree with Alan on one substantial point. No one knows all the projects and activities that the NHRA is involved in and with. To me, that is the problem. All of this "other" activity has led to the leadership losing sight of what they are supposed to be doing. KISS.....Put on a good safe race. Remember the product and put your effort there.
Oh yea, LEAVE THE FRIGGIN SPONSORS ALONE!
The sponsors need to sponsor racers, not organizations.

It's just possible that the "leadership" at NHRA has involved it (the NHRA) in some activities that are not necessarily in the best interests of the rank-and-file members and the racing participants.

New leadership might deem it a worthy activity to divest itself of any and all non-racing involvements in order to "thin the herd" of distractions that could take away the focus of the "powers that be."

It might be possible to pare down the extraneous involvements of NHRA to the point that the leadership could actually focus on racing issues....

Wouldn't THAT be a novelty...

Not likely to happen, but, interesting to think about.

Bill

Is there any way to fax or e-mail this thread to the board members of NHRA and keep sending it until they come on here and say we got your message?

Anyone have personal email addresses of Board members.

Is there any way to fax or e-mail this thread to the board members of NHRA and keep sending it until they come on here and say we got your message?

Anyone have personal email addresses of Board members.

Yes I do and no they never seem to respond

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back