Jim Head Racing / Maple Grove. (1 Viewer)

Unless things have changed, I am pretty sure NHRA pays for the tv coverage
And what is the problem here. They (We) are spending the organizations money to get the members a place to watch the races where other members are racing. Some people (Mostly Non Members) forget or don’t know that NHRA is and has always been a Not for Profit entity. They would have to change to a For Profit corporation to accomplish what some want. That would change the Tax structure and since it is a “Niche” sport it would most likely surly cause its own Demise. There are and have been many would be gurus who have a plan to make NHRA racing the KING of all things racing. The only problem is that quite a few of the others have had a plan to do this and NHRA is the only one left standing. Having said this it may not seem like it but the fact that the structure of the organization and the fact that it is made up of members (Who usually would rather Bitch than switch) that actually do have some input have made it last as long as it has. The doomsday people (A lot who are not members) really need to just enjoy or do something else because nothing lasts forever.

So they’re non-profit like many other pro sports entities have been including the NFL until just a few years ago, I’m sure they don’t pay for the tv coverage.

The sanctioning body can't even get their top "management" to all the races, why should we expect others to take up the slack.

Italy vs. Reading Pennsylvania....boy, that's a toughie.

So they’re non-profit like many other pro sports entities have been including the NFL until just a few years ago, I’m sure they don’t pay for the tv coverage.

NHRA is not a non-profit, as Roger pointed out it is a Not-For-Profit organization. The biggest differnce is they sell memberships.

The ball sports SELL franchise to teams, give them their own marketing area and license commercial products. The teams have to kick up money to the leagues. To the best of my knowledge, there are no plans to add any teams to MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL. The Savannah Bannana can't join the MLB and compete against the Atlanta Braves.

The only way I can see the NHRA changing is to go the way of Monster Jams with booked in shows, but I can't see anyone getting behind that idea.

Look, everyone is hurting economically and it's pretty simple as to why given what has happened over the last couple of years. The future doesn't look any brighter either. Scrubbing your operation to try something else would be foolish.

perhaps, in this wave of downsizing, NHRA can no longer support 2 'Headline acts IE. TF & FC. Dare i say, it is time to consider consolidation. Can the dragsters be slowed another 2 tenths for the sake of keeping both classes and maintaining equal performance

This is one of the craziest threads I've ever seen. This Jim guy seems to think that the only reason the NHRA isn't the NFL is because he isn't in charge. Second tier sport? Uh, yeah. Motorsports in general is a second tier sport, and drag racing is a second tier motorsport. Doesn't mean I don't love it, that's just how it is. And frankly I like it that way. Nascar was taken over by guys with your ideas, and they have destroyed the sport. Winston Cup was inarguably better when part time teams run out of someone's backyard shop would show up and fill out the field alongside the big money series regulars. Do they make more money now? Probably, but I couldn't care less. I like a much lower key, more approachable and accessible sport- F1, Nascar, or even Indy levels of glitz and glamour have zero appeal.

Oh, we’re still talking about this? lol. It would be hard to “ease” into any of these suggestions without billions of dollars to invest. We don’t know if they would work in the world of drag racing anyway.

NHRA is not a Non Profit. It is an Association that is "Not for Profit". The difference is that Non Profit's are for Charity and the tax structure is very different. In reality the "Not for Profit" is structured for the benefit of the association members and not a for profit entity that is in business for the bottom line. In the beginning Wally Parks never wanted this to be a professional sport in any way - shape or form. It has basically always been a Sportsman entity regardless of what they call the top classes. It is a California Corporation that could not be set up this way now here or most likely in any other state. Unfortunately as the song goes “Only the Rich Survive”. Another thing is people complaining about Sponsors and Higer up NHRA officials not being seen at Races. That does not in anyway affect how the race is run or what you see. Micro managing or "Glad Handing" does not affect how a race is run on race day - it only gets in the way. While the "Pro" classes are what the vocal people want to see Their Way on TV the overwhelming number of members in the Association are not in the pro classes and it is their participation that keeps this thing afloat. Without the Classes at National Meets the membership would deminish and the Association would fail. The "Pro" classes cannot support their own "Weight" alone and it would no longer be for the good of the Association (people). As far as who pays for the TV coverage - what difference does it make as to the quality of the production.

My point is that NHRA has to change the situation with teams skipping races because of money if it wants to be seen as a real professional sport.
Jim,
I don't usually comment on opinions expressed here, but after reading your many unnecessary attacks on Jim Head because of a decision he made to miss a race for whatever reason is ludicrous and honestly, none of your business.

If that was your point, why did you pick a specific individual and specific trip? We all know the answer to that. He is a well-known and respected professional racer that supports his own race team and you're not.

You acted without knowing the facts. That is unprofessional, boring, and obliviously a waste of time, except for the humor value. People lose respect for anyone that uses unrealistic analogies to try to prove their position. I would think in your line of work, you would be more respectful. As they say, always room for improvement.

Are you trying to be hired by the NHRA???? Is this what this is really about? Better idea, track record, financial wizard, venture capitalists????

PROFESSIONAL DEFINED: 1. relating to or belonging to a profession. 2. main paid occupation rather than as a pastime. 3. worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skillful, or assured. Synonyms: expert · accomplished · skillful · adept · masterly · masterful · excellent.
Jim is an engineer, business owner, former NHRA Top Fuel team owner, former NHRA Top Fuel Crew Chief, former NHRA Top Fuel driver, current NHRA funny car driver, current NHRA Crew Chief and has also managed his OWN race teams for longer that you probably have been alive. I think he qualifies in being a Professional in several categories and should be shown the respect he earned.

My best suggestion is for you to take a few minutes and read this article from Drag Illustrated: https://dragillustrated.com/idea-man-jim-head-isnt-even-close-to-being-finished/
If after that, you think Jim Head should not be involved in racing because he is not a professional, then tell him to his face, not hide behind a keyboard.

I have attended NHRA events since the early 1960's. I can honestly say, that as many competitors that have been racing since then, I have never heard anyone have a problem with him. You finished in FIRST PLACE. Sorry, no trophy today.

By now, you have hopefully figured out that this party is over for you. I don't need a reply. Your opinion on anything no longer matters to me.

I won't apologize for the tone of this reply, you obliviously missed many previous kindly worded replies.

Let us know when you get your Professional Top Fuel or Funny car ready to race? I want to be sure to see that operation.
Best Regards,
Dave

I don't think jim is that far off.NHRA has not been professional for a long time.Rules violation and reasons for DQ"s have been kept secret for a long time a real sport puts that out there along with reasons for.I always hated that ****.Never find out why and/or what they did.Everyone has to own it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one should be running in the pro ranks as an amateur or hobbyist.

Easy solution - stop using "Professional" and "Sportsmen". Call the classes "Camping World Series" or "LODRS", or whatever.

There are plenty of professional sportsmen racers and there are plenty of amateur professional racers. It's just a meaningless title that harkens back to the "old days".

Easy solution - stop using "Professional" and "Sportsmen". Call the classes "Camping World Series" or "LODRS", or whatever.

There are plenty of professional sportsmen racers and there are plenty of amateur professional racers. It's just a meaningless title that harkens back to the "old days".
This is just crazy, this whole long blog because someone didn’t like Jim Head, all I gotta say if FO, anybody who has built a business like he has can do whatever he wants. I’ll be in Vegas so if your going to confront Mr. Head I’ll be happy to pick you up off the turf, but maybe not!

I don't think jim is that far off.NHRA has not been professional for a long time.Rules violation and reasons for DQ"s have been kept secret for a long time a real sport puts that out there along with reasons for.I always hated that ****.Never find out why and/or what they did.Everyone has to own it.

They do put it out there. No secrets. You just have to know where to look.

There are plenty of professional sportsmen racers and there are plenty of

There are plenty of professional sportsmen racers and there are plenty ofamateur professional racers. It's just a meaningless title that harkens back to the "old days".
CAMPING WORLD SERIES is the top rung of NHRA racing and is only Top Fuel, Funny Car, PRO Stock and Pro Stock Mototcycle. Sportsman are the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series that includes both Division and National events.
Never the twain shall meet.

We went up to Prescott yesterday. Noticed just outside of Anthem that there is a BIG RV lot, "Camping World" sinage all over.

Stick and Ball Sports ?? Our Sport takes Two Balls. Case in Point : Anybody that used to sell 'Gimme Jim Head Til I'm Dead' T Shirts at the track is OK in my book.
Jim Head does'nt have anything to prove to anyone,especially this fella.
Somebody ought to donate one of those classic T Shirts to the dude.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back