Jim Head Racing / Maple Grove. (2 Viewers)

The pro ranks would be truly pro if they paid enough to not need to have another job or raise sponsor dollars. The Arizona Cardinals all make enough money they don’t need to do anything else. If the self-funded teams all left, it would be goodbye Doug K, goodbye Salinas, goodbye Haddock, goodbye Head, etc.

The Arizona Cardinals and the rest of the NFL make their money from TV rights. Amazon is paying the NFL $1.2 billion/year for the rights for Thursday night games only. They get about $10 billion/year total for all TV. In the NFL, the TV money gets divided up among all the teams.

The NFL gets that kind of money because it is a professionally-run product. If you want to be treated as a pro sport and get the money pro sports get, you have to act like pros.

The Arizona Cardinals and the rest of the NFL make their money from TV rights. Amazon is paying the NFL $1.2 billion/year for the rights for Thursday night games only. They get about $10 billion/year total for all TV. In the NFL, the TV money gets divided up among all the teams.

The NFL gets that kind of money because it is a professionally-run product. If you want to be treated as a pro sport and get the money pro sports get, you have to act like pros.
So your theory is if NHRA cuts the fields to 8 cars that all promise to show up, the NHRA will suddenly get huge sponsor dollars? You may be right, but I’m sure not betting on it.

If it is so easy to fund a full time professional top fuel team and ACT LIKE A PRO TEAM, why don’t you show them all how they are not getting it right, run your own car and team, then the tv money comes flowing in ?

If they had to run the full schedule you would probably lose around 46 nitro cars. Just go to the NHRA website and look at the standings and you can see a list of all of the part time drivers.
Top Fuel
Funnycar

Last edited:

Jim, with all due respect, are you new to drag racing, or motorsports in general? Your posts are so far out there it's kind of hard to really engage in any serious responses. Comparing racing to pro stick and ball sports is really apples and oranges. In stick and ball sports, athletes are recruited for their rare and exceptional physical abilities, and are paid accordingly. In racing, car owners and drivers need to have the ability to pay to play, whether it's through their own funding or marketing partners. The 2 models are very far apart.

Jim, with all due respect, are you new to drag racing, or motorsports in general? Your posts are so far out there it's kind of hard to really engage in any serious responses. Comparing racing to pro stick and ball sports is really apples and oranges. In stick and ball sports, athletes are recruited for their rare and exceptional physical abilities, and are paid accordingly. In racing, car owners and drivers need to have the ability to pay to play, whether it's through their own funding or marketing partners. The 2 models are very far apart.

No. I am not new to it. I started following drag racing when I was a kid and one of my friend's father owned Atco, Cecil County and the old Pittsburgh International. I have been reporting on motorsports since 1998 and on drag racing in particular since 2001. Yes, I look at drag racing differently because I don't care how it is now or how it used to be. I care about what it can be in the future. Right now, drag racing is a dying sport because it refuses to change.

My comments are based on what it will take to get drag racing recognized on a professional level, the same as other sports. People complain all the time about payouts at NHRA events. If people want higher payouts, there has to be more revenue coming in. To get more revenue, the sport has to treat itself as a professional. That means everyone involved acts as a professional.
'
The sport needs to build fan favorites that fans will buy tickets to see or turn on the TV to watch. To do that, the drivers have to be there. If drivers only show up once in a while, they are not going to get the coverage they need, and in turn, will not get sponsorship dollars. I often read people complaining about the media covering John Force more than other drivers. There is a reason for that. John Force and his team are always there. His team has great PR people and if a reporter wants to talk to John, Robert, or Brittany, they make it happen. John Force has also done a lot to make sure other teams can show up at races. He is a professional. Schumacher's team is the same way, as are Ron Capps, Antron Brown and a few others.

But let's look at this weekend. If anyone is a Blake Alexander fan and bought tickets to Maple Grove to see him drive, they are going to be disappointed. Drivers, like pro athletes, miss races because of injury or illness. But if the driver is not there because the team owner had other things to do, it leaves a bad taste. Can you imagine if NBA fans bought tickets to see Steph Curry play but he did not show up because he wanted to do something else that night?

I understand that teams have to pay to play. That's where NHRA needs to step up. Does F1 ever have a team decide not to show up for a race? Never happens. Look what happened at the Indianapolis 500 this year. When it looked like they might not have a full field, IndyCar stepped up and helped fund the 33rd entry to make sure they have a full field.

Drag racing and stick and ball sports may be different models. But they are all competing for the same TV money, the same viewers, the same ticket money and the same attention from fans. When within motorsports, drag racing is competing for money against NASCAR, IndyCar, F1 and others.

There are many other things I would like to see changed about NHRA drag racing. But the first thing is that everyone involved needs to be in it on a professional level. I do not care what drag racing has always been. I want it to move forward.

Last edited:
The sport needs to build fan favorites that fans will buy tickets to see or turn on the TV to watch.
I haven't been to a national event or watched a tv event since Larry Dixon stopped racing. Plus I didn't like what NHRA did to him with the whole chassis cert.

And during all this talk comparing Stick&Ball sports. Nobody has mentioned anything about the ridiculous amounts of MONEY spent by the city / County's for a playground for the pro ball sport team owners to play on.
Image an operation like JFR being funded by a major city.
I can see it now, I'd build a Funny Car and name it The Detroit Tiger.

What does Matt Smith have to do with this?
The major league sports teams have contracts to guarantee their appearance. There's also the difference between team sports and individual sports. Do all "Professional" golfers play at every PGA tournament: No. How about Bowling? Tennis? The issue of sponsor commitments can certainly enter into this, but the self-funded folks should certainly be able to pick and choose

I would certainly think if you’re a huge fan of the Jim Head/ Blake Alexander team you would follow them on social media and know they are not attending a race. Most people know they are not a full time team.

Do all "Professional" golfers play at every PGA tournament: No. How about Bowling? Tennis?
Find a professional golfer who does not show up for the US Open if they are eligible. What tennis player skips a Grand Slam event because they have something they'd rather do instead? How many professional bowlers skip a championship tournament?

Remember that we are not just talking about an ordinary race. We are talking about what is essentially the first round of the NHRA's playoffs. Teams compete all year to make the countdown. What does it say when a team that makes the countdown does not show up for the first race?

Rory McIlroy is paid $35 million/year by his sponsors. Do you think they'd be upset if he took a trip to Italy instead of playing at Augusta?

Bottom line: If the racers are going to act like hobbyists or amateurs, it is an amateur sport.

And during all this talk comparing Stick&Ball sports. Nobody has mentioned anything about the ridiculous amounts of MONEY spent by the city / County's for a playground for the pro ball sport team owners to play on.
Image an operation like JFR being funded by a major city.
Irrelevant. Racing teams do not pay for the drag strips they race on.

Jim, you're wrong on your Steph Curry example. He, and most other NBA stars, do skip games during the season for rest. I'm sure it's disappointing for fans who attend to see Steph but it happens several times a season. I think he would still be considered a professional. NHRA needs all the racers it can get. I'd rather have a part time Jim Head, who is self funded, than no Jim Head.

Jim, funny you mention F1 as they race for zero prize money have a huge tv contract and the incentives to run every are pretty darn good.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back