Jim Dunn Racing (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
I noticed on the television machine yesterday that Mr. Dunn is using a walker? With someone assisting him as well. Down on the starting line? While his driver had his car running. Perhaps I should shut up and mind my own business…. but coming from someone with multiple family members who have mobility issues and someone who loves professional drag racing and has the highest respect for Jim Dunn - may I ask….is that really a wise decision? I love Big Jim and hope he stays safe.

I noticed on the television machine yesterday that Mr. Dunn is using a walker? With someone assisting him as well. Down on the starting line? While his driver had his car running. Perhaps I should shut up and mind my own business…. but coming from someone with multiple family members who have mobility issues and someone who loves professional drag racing and has the highest respect for Jim Dunn - may I ask….is that really a wise decision? I love Big Jim and hope he stays safe.
I have known Big Jim Dunn for over 60+ years. even at Jim's age I don't think it would be WISE to tell him he can't do something, and I mean anything.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

BTW talking about safety concerns, someday someone is going to lose control on the burnout and it is not going to be good. there are people on each side of the cars during the burnouts and some are out in front playing chicken and moving at the last minute as the pro stock cars go by. my broken bones and scars are proof of what can happen.

Last edited:
Well, he probably (for sure?) has more starting line experience than anyone still regularly active in professional drag racing. Not only does he know the dangers, but he also knows how to keep himself safe. Sure, anything can happen.... accidents happen all the time. But those same dangers exist for ALL people on the starting line, not just a 60+ year veteran of the sport who happens to be using a walker. lolol. Just because his body is wore out, doesn't mean he suddenly got stupid. He's still running a professional funny car operation, I'm sure his mind is still perfectly fine. He was smart enough decades ago to know when it was time to leave the drivers seat, I'm sure he's still smart enough to know when it's time to leave the starting line. Just my $0.02

My only issue is it doesn't seem tall enough for him. One would think his occupational/physical therapist would say that isn't good for his posture.

..........someday someone is going to lose control on the burnout and it is not going to be good........
i watch some of the PM and radial races, and just cringe as the cars start their burnout behind starting line and move forward thru sea of people.
i think, even stevie fast mentioned recently on his shake-n-bake show, about 'bowling down people' if they don't move; i think referring to one the recent
races, either one of PM events at bradenton, or the duck, radial race in valdosta.......sure doesn't look safe to me

Last edited:

Probably the only thing that keeps Jim active is Drag Racing. Take the racing from Jim and your taking his reason to live.

in E1 against tasca, i thought buddy had a chance to get back on throttle, but looked like he did not.
buddy had lost traction and let car settle down, then no power. i'm thinking jim or john dunn may have cut the power when they first lost traction?
educated guess this mite be how they race? in an effort to conserve parts? ....... especially first race w/new driver?
buddy was all smiles and very gracious in top end interview.

in E1 against tasca, i thought buddy had a chance to get back on throttle, but looked like he did not.
buddy had lost traction and let car settle down, then no power. i'm thinking jim or john dunn may have cut the power when they first lost traction?
educated guess this mite be how they race? in an effort to conserve parts? ....... especially first race w/new driver?
buddy was all smiles and very gracious in top end interview.
they run on a tight budget

My mom's a couple years older than Jim Dunn, and we prefer that she use a walker. She's fine without it, but there's a chance she could take a fall. I would say Jim likely uses it as a safety precaution more than an actual physical need, but I could be wrong. The starting line's pretty tacky and he could lose a shoe or his balance pretty easy at his age. I say more power to him.

BTW talking about safety concerns, someday someone is going to lose control on the burnout and it is not going to be good. there are people on each side of the cars during the burnouts and some are out in front playing chicken and moving at the last minute as the pro stock cars go by. my broken bones and scars are proof of what can happen.
You could not be more right!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back