JFR announcement (1 Viewer)

Why have the girls running a 170 mile per hour Super Comp car set out and let the one running a beast at 330 MPH race.

Lanny

As a couple of voices of reason have said, why don't we just wait for tomorrow. Is it possible that John has enough on his plate without the possibility of another SC crash? He has been very stong through this ordeal.
Whatever his decisions are, I'm 100% behind JFR.
I hope something positive is announced Tuesday. - Jim

As a couple of voices of reason have said, why don't we just wait for tomorrow. Is it possible that John has enough on his plate without the possibility of another SC crash? He has been very stong through this ordeal.
Whatever his decisions are, I'm 100% behind JFR.
I hope something positive is announced Tuesday. - Jim
You know Jim, maybe they are right... It is PC in here... I would like to hear what these gentlemen have to say on this subject... Then I could add them to my buddy list...
Go ahead and show us your true colors guys... I guess I better not hold my breath to long should I??

Just what I thought!!

The problem is that this is a topic board and should be used as if all of us were around each other and maybe shootin' the breeze or having a discussion.It's opinions,plain and simple.But some here feel that they have to defend others thoughts or "feelings",that they might upset some racer because of ones opinion or that that racer won't come here and post,and that's where the PC part comes in.You can have an opinion and others don't have to agree,but should let anyone have their say.

My thoughts on JFR??? No more 4th car.They will make the best of 2007 and refresh then come back strong in 2008.

It's my opinion and nobody has to like it.

I agree with the statement regarding how PC it's getting around here. While I certainly agree that there's nothing wrong with waiting a day to see the actual announcement, what happens then? One person has already stated that he is ready to "embrace whatever JFR has decided to do." To me that sentiment is just as ridiculous as someone who speculates with no basis in fact. At worse, it's a way of cutting off discussion by applying subtle pressure to silence someone who may disagree.

It should be remembered that it is possible not only to respect a decision that one disagrees with, but to do so in a respectful manner. Even so, my bet is that regardless of what is announced by JFR tomorrow, the moment someone here disagrees with anything in that announcement he/she will be jumped on by those who believe that it somehow wrong to question any decision made by JFR.

I think we also need to remember that this is a discussion forum and not a cheerleader club. As such, disagreement is to be expected. Our concern should not be with raising questions or voicing disagreement, but in making certain that discussions of disagreements are conducted in a respectful manner.

JMHO.

Chris...I understand your position, and I'd normally support you, but this is quite different. We have the loss of life. A tragic loss of a guy John has referred to as 'the son I never had'. I really feel like this situation should be handled differently than any other we've participated in. As a side...John is the King of this sport. Noone has ever been more successful than John, and this era of drag racing is easily the most difficult to compete in. John has done it against enormous odds. If Eric was like a son to him, let's treat it that way.

Several years ago Kyle Petty lost his son Adam on the track. The media and fans gave King Richard and Kyle all the space and respect that the family of a King deserves.

John Force is KING!

I think we also need to remember that this is a discussion forum and not a cheerleader club.

JMHO.
That is what this has become, a cheerleader club. I get chastised for posting a link. Lets just require all post to be only about how well a driver does (even if he or she loses on a massive holeshot) . Posting your true ( I`m not talking detrimental) opinions/feelings here seem to be frowned upon.
We don`t need to become the board of the past, but the PC here is just too prevalent.

John I disagree,and I do that respectfully.Granted this tragedy happened to the Force "family",but these threads seem to take off in the wrong direction as this one did.John Force is no better than anyone else who races,whether it be a 30 plus year pro or a first year bracket racer.Besides this thread isn't about Eric,it's about the conference he will have today.People have the right to speculate on what THEY think will be said,it's really no different than when say the President has a news conference.It's all about discussion and exchange of ideas,not who can be the most sentimental or PC.Maybe some think I come off too crass about this stuff,(and that's their problem)but I'm not one to dance around anything.I put my britches on the same as anyone else...one leg at a time.

Please allow me to throw my opinion in here on all of the rest. I'm a total advocate of free speech. It's a right given to us by the Bill of Rights. I don't believe anyone on here is trying to take that away.

What people are getting upset here, is what they feel is a lack of what Aretha Franklin called R-E-S-P-E-C-T. People's sensitivities are different with this whole tragedy. Bottom line: everyone's opinion is respected (of course, if you have enough mater cred:rolleyes:). But in all sincerity, the reason why people are upset at speculation has nothing to do with the fact that it's a press conference, and this is a message board. You all do have your rights to write whatever you want to (it's what the Nitromater board is all about - sharing opinions) -- but in sensitive moments, dealing with sensitive issues like this, for some folks it's just different.

Regardless of what you believe, just respect where other people are at. I know some people took the loss of Eric very hard, because he was such a tremendous man. If this was a rumor about Bob Glidden going back in a Ford, no one would care how many links or how many rumors were posted. But this is dealing with a death. A sad, terrible, AWFUL tragedy. And that's what people are getting frustrated over. Continue to respect JFR, the Medlens, and all of the other people who are grieving. Rumors hurt. However you want to justify it. They hurt the family, they hurt the organization, and folks, they hurt people.

And remember what my dad said, because I believe he said it best. "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got one and most of them stink." :cool:

The Medlen situation was a selfish loss for all of us. It was an accident and these post are not about anyone dis-respecting his family but to say everyone needs to be sensitive about their JFR opinions is wrong..
When Anna Nicole Smith passed away most regulars here bashed her hard.
Whats the difference? People had an opinion and thats all....
And lets be honest....none of this stuff interupts anyones lives...

I agree with the statement regarding how PC it's getting around here. While I certainly agree that there's nothing wrong with waiting a day to see the actual announcement, what happens then? One person has already stated that he is ready to "embrace whatever JFR has decided to do." To me that sentiment is just as ridiculous as someone who speculates with no basis in fact. At worse, it's a way of cutting off discussion by applying subtle pressure to silence someone who may disagree.

It should be remembered that it is possible not only to respect a decision that one disagrees with, but to do so in a respectful manner. Even so, my bet is that regardless of what is announced by JFR tomorrow, the moment someone here disagrees with anything in that announcement he/she will be jumped on by those who believe that it somehow wrong to question any decision made by JFR.

I think we also need to remember that this is a discussion forum and not a cheerleader club. As such, disagreement is to be expected. Our concern should not be with raising questions or voicing disagreement, but in making certain that discussions of disagreements are conducted in a respectful manner.

JMHO.

Amen, brother!

Guys,

If anywhere in your post you feel like you need to say "I don't mean to offend" (or speculate, not to stir the pot, etc....). You should probably not hit the "post reply" button.

Please allow me to throw my opinion in here on all of the rest. I'm a total advocate of free speech. It's a right given to us by the Bill of Rights. I don't believe anyone on here is trying to take that away.

What people are getting upset here, is what they feel is a lack of what Aretha Franklin called R-E-S-P-E-C-T. People's sensitivities are different with this whole tragedy. Bottom line: everyone's opinion is respected (of course, if you have enough mater cred:rolleyes:). But in all sincerity, the reason why people are upset at speculation has nothing to do with the fact that it's a press conference, and this is a message board. You all do have your rights to write whatever you want to (it's what the Nitromater board is all about - sharing opinions) -- but in sensitive moments, dealing with sensitive issues like this, for some folks it's just different.

Regardless of what you believe, just respect where other people are at. I know some people took the loss of Eric very hard, because he was such a tremendous man. If this was a rumor about Bob Glidden going back in a Ford, no one would care how many links or how many rumors were posted. But this is dealing with a death. A sad, terrible, AWFUL tragedy. And that's what people are getting frustrated over. Continue to respect JFR, the Medlens, and all of the other people who are grieving. Rumors hurt. However you want to justify it. They hurt the family, they hurt the organization, and folks, they hurt people.

And remember what my dad said, because I believe he said it best. "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got one and most of them stink." :cool:

"...Everyones got one and they all stink." That could very well be recieved as a condition of a closed selfish mind.

But to my point of posting...

So if I speculated John wanted to explain sitting out more races, that would be disrespectful? I think not.

To make comments or suggest causes for the tragedy could, or may, cross the line. Discretion is key, untruths unacceptable.
If one wants to sadly grieve about the circumstances leading up to the press conference, it's within that individuals right do so. Those who choose other means to respectfully express themselves are entitled to the same rights.

To offer an opinion on Force Racing and it's future is appropriate on this or any other public Drag Racing forum.

At the end of the day, lets all appreciate and enjoy our blessings.

Last edited:
And lets be honest....none of this stuff interupts anyones lives...

Terry, I completely disagree with you. And the number of press releases that said the family requesting people to not speculate with rumors and so forth. I can only imagine that they did that for a reason. To think anything else would be completely ignorant.

When you decide to put your life out there in the entertainment industry thats the price your you and your family pay......rumors and speculation...
Most can take it...

So if I speculated John wanted to explain sitting out more races, that would be disrespectful? I think not.

To make comments or suggest causes for the tragedy could, or may, cross the line. Discretion is key, untruths unacceptable.
If one wants to sadly grieve about the circumstances leading up to the press conference, it's within that individuals right do so. Those who choose other means to respectfully express themselves are entitled to the same rights.

To offer an opinion on Force Racing and it's future is appropriate on this or any other public Drag Racing forum.

At the end of the day, lets all appreciate and enjoy our blessings.

Johnny, first of all - not ALL of them stink, but MOST of them do. There's a significant difference in wording there.

Secondly, I am not taking sides with anyone. I am only saying that people who are speculating on things are making people upset. If you had respect for people, you wouldn't do anything to foster that feeling.

Third. You say that untruths are unaccepable. I hate to say this, but you defeated the entire purpose of your argument. Anything until the press conference today is NOT true, until you hear it from the source.

Fourth. From what I have seen on here the people who are speculating aren't the same crowd as the ones saying "please stop spreading rumors." They are two different crowds, not the same, as you are saying they are.

Fifth. Let's just say for practical purposes that someone loses their wife in a terrible tragedy. Would it be right of you to offer speculation as to whether or not they are going to return to work in a week, a day, a month? It sounds...morbid, doesn't it? Just because this is a Drag Racing Forum doesn't give you any more of a right to type what you feel without being considerate of other peoples feelings.

Just my 2 cents.

Johnny, first of all - not ALL of them stink, but MOST of them do. There's a significant difference in wording there.

Secondly, I am not taking sides with anyone. I am only saying that people who are speculating on things are making people upset. If you had respect for people, you wouldn't do anything to foster that feeling.

Third. You say that untruths are unacceptable. I hate to say this, but you defeated the entire purpose of your argument. Anything until the press conference today is NOT true, until you hear it from the source.

Fourth. From what I have seen on here the people who are speculating aren't the same crowd as the ones saying "please stop spreading rumors." They are two different crowds, not the same, as you are saying they are.

Fifth. Let's just say for practical purposes that someone loses their wife in a terrible tragedy. Would it be right of you to offer speculation as to whether or not they are going to return to work in a week, a day, a month? It sounds...morbid, doesn't it? Just because this is a Drag Racing Forum doesn't give you any more of a right to type what you feel without being considerate of other peoples feelings.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy there is a fine line between an intelligent debate and a pissing match. Allow me to slip into the abyss.

First, what if I were to offer of all the opinions I've read here, yours stinks the most. As much as I have every right to express that sentiment, It would be pointless. Opinions differ, and regardless of my level of disagreement, the reality would be your opinion only stinks to me and others that share my perspective. A productive counterpoint would be more beneficial. I'll disagree with the implication of your dad's statement.

Second, I did not mean to imply you were taking sides with anyone. I do believe the plea for sanity was with regards to the events surrounding Eric's circumstances and had nothing to do with the press conference. Context and relativity are important. If in your statement you are characterizing me as disrespectful, I'll offer, from what experience does this come? Last I checked, we don't know each other.

Third, Untruths with regards to circumstances. It was reported on the Internet that Eric had passed days before he actually did. That is a specific example of a hurtful, disrespectful, untruth. To respectfully speculate and discuss the contents of an upcoming press conference is hardly an example of hurtful behavior.

Fourth, If I'm doing any classifications, it's grouping us all together as participants on this forum. I don't agree with all that I read, but I'm tolerant. I'll pick and choose my points of interest.

Fifth, If a co-worker lost his wife and his contribution had a direct effect on the survivability of the business, I'd guess his absence would be of reasonable concern, however morbid. Paying fans have a right to respectfully speculate when a star is going to return. Force Racings participation has become a significant part of our sport. To question the co-worker or Force's decision is where, I believe the line of respect becomes fine.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back