I've been waiting a year to ask this simple question... (1 Viewer)

jim

Nitro Member
In the nitro cars - and maybe the alcohol cars - a crew member squirts something into the intake just before staging and launching.
What's going on there?

They don't spray anything in the intake on the fuel cars. The crew chief or a crew member makes last second adjustment to the fuel mixture before the run. On the alcohol cars they are spraying de-icer on the butterflies to keep them from icing up and possibly sticking closed.

On the Alcohol cars they spray anti-freeze on the injectors to keep the blades from Freezing! Not sure if it's just alcohol they spray on the Fuel cars...

CLOSED ??? I don't think so.....they want to prevent them from sticking WIDE OPEN !!;)
I'll go with Gary Miller on this one. It's virtually impossible for the butterflies to stick wide open however, on Alky cars, the intake gets easily iced up to the point that the butterflies can stick shut solid. If the return spring is sufficient the shafts surface in contact with the hat aren't enough to stick wide open. I suppose if you raced in Antarctica it could happen but even in hot weather, the alky can freeze the butterflies shut.

I'll go with Gary Miller on this one. It's virtually impossible for the butterflies to stick wide open however, on Alky cars, the intake gets easily iced up to the point that the butterflies can stick shut solid. If the return spring is sufficient the shafts surface in contact with the hat aren't enough to stick wide open. I suppose if you raced in Antarctica it could happen but even in hot weather, the alky can freeze the butterflies shut.

Thanks Bobby...
I thought I was suffering from old age... but it's been 20plus years since I played with an alky flopper... rule of thumb was about 3-1/2 fingers of frost back/across the top of the hat during the warm, humid summer... and yeah, keep 'em from stickin' closed...

d'kid

...why a year?

I've been reading the nitromater forum for a couple of years, but never had anything smart to say.

I kept hoping Mike Dunn would explain what they're doing, but I guess if only the alcohol cars do it, I'd be waiting forever. I had it in my head that nitro and alcohol cars did it.

Thanks for the replies.

Works great for bug bites and rashes as well.. :D

....and burns.... (the one chick flick I really like)

Maybe you're thinking of when the fuel teams start the nitro cars they squirt alcohol into the injector(s) to start the car?

I was told they do that to fire the car on alcohol and then turn on the fuel pumps, but I'm probably wrong. I do know they do squirt alcohol into the injectors as part of the start up procedure.

In the nitro cars - and maybe the alcohol cars - a crew member squirts something into the intake just before staging and launching.
What's going on there?

They DO spray fuel into the intake before they start a nitro engine....Someone told me it was regular pump gas just to get it lit, but some on here said alcohol...I have no idea, but they do use some sort of fuel to get the wick lit!

We sprayed alky most of the time on the Nitro motor except when it was cold and then we would use gas. Easier to start.

As for spraying a nitro motor after it is started you may have seen a person stationed down track during a burnout that will come up to the car and squirt some alky into the injectors if they are having an idling problem or the motor was tending to die after stopping.

Alky freeze closed, you betcha. 3 and 1/2 fingers back??? I had to stop and visualize our alky hat and you were right. I never really thought about it at the time.

jim

They DO spray fuel into the intake before they start a nitro engine....Someone told me it was regular pump gas just to get it lit, but some on here said alcohol...I have no idea, but they do use some sort of fuel to get the wick lit!

We use regular old 87 octane pump gas on our car. Some may use alcohol though. When we warm our car we start it on gas, then we have an alcohol tank that plumbs direct into the injector similar to that of an a-fuel car, then we switch to nitro once we check timing, oil pressure etc. At the starting line it's gas to nitro.

What you don't want to happen is turn on the nitro without it running because the volume is very high (4 GPM @ idle). If it doesn't start and fills a cylinder with to much fuel, the cylinder head will be embedded in the guy pushing the button's chest. Not a good thing!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back