Simple solution... (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Yesterday several of us were discussing the Robert Hight situation. Included in our group was one of the more prominant FC chassis builders who also races his own car from time to time. The discussion centered around hitting the wall after the finish line.

The general opinion was definitely safety first. Secondly was worrying about who would race the next round. Who decides how hard a car hit after the finish line and how do you tell in a 10 minute glimpse that the integrity of the frame may or may not have been compromised? As Dave Reiff said, Forces crew would kill him if he said "stop" in the pits because emotions run high and sometimes wisedom is swept under the rug.

An example was cited of a certain team that had what appeared to be a minor encounter with the wall after the finish line. The car was serviced and brought back to the line for the next round. At clutch lock all heck broke lose when the frame twisted under the load of the engine torque. If the driver would have hit the wall he's sitting in a frame the may not have the strength to save his life because in the heat of battle no one saw the break in the frame. The "break" was hidden under a loom of computer lines.

While crossing the center line after the finish line is necessary to exit the track and/or happens when chutes drag the car around, hitting the wall is another story. These aren't NASCAR's, bumper cars or shifter carts. Drag race vehicles are fragile automobiles which are not meant to contact anything. So...

The opinion of a majority of the group was that NHRA should revise the rules to include the outer boundary (guardrail) as an infraction for the entire length of the track, not just the quarter mile. If the driver touches the wall ANYWHERE, he or she is out.

This would remove any discussion about mutli chassis teams bringing out back-up cars or putting anyone in John Force's position trying to please sponsors while painfully trying to determine if the car is safe enough for his son-in-law or daughter to drive it. No question. You hit the wall, you're out. Take it back to the pits, have the crew strip it down. get it checked out, fix or replace it and get ready for the next event. The driver in the other lane goes to the next round.

I think John Force was put in a bad position over this. A conflicting rule (safetywise) put him there. He leaned in the car and told Robert "DO NOT LEAVE" the starting line. That should never have happened. I would have been p*ssed, too.

Then you have Scott Kalitta on the losing side of that race with a car that just needs a fresh clutch pack and a set of rod bearings to make the next round. Bottom line is, you must maintain control of your car during the entire drag race process. Start to finish. In one piece these cars are dangerous. Why have it any other way?

I used to drive my own car. I've had several drivers in my car since I quit driving. I can't tell you the enormous resposibilty you feel having someone else driving your car. I'm more worried about my driver than I used to be about myself when I drove.

At Topeka, Force was looking in the eyes of his son-in-law and father of his first grandchild while seated in a car he knows is junk that is the baddest hot rod on the planet and he was scared for him. I say take a very emotional decision away from the teams with a no-hit rule. I thought it used to be the rule a long time ago anyway. I wonder when it changed?

Simple solution in my opinion.

RG

Simple and correct!
Crossing the centerline line for the first 1,320 and you're out. Contact with the wall ANYWHERE and you're out.

Great post Randy. And I agree, that is a simple solution. And for those who are worried about singles, big deal. I believe it is a rare occurrence that a car hits the wall on a winning pass, so I don't see this resulting in too many singles, thereby hurting the show. If and when there is a single, so what, it's part of the deal. When the yellow comes out in roundy-round racing, that's boring too, but it's part of the deal.

Great post Randy. And I agree, that is a simple solution. And for those who are worried about singles, big deal. I believe it is a rare occurrence that a car hits the wall on a winning pass, so I don't see this resulting in too many singles, thereby hurting the show. If and when there is a single, so what, it's part of the deal. When the yellow comes out in roundy-round racing, that's boring too, but it's part of the deal.

There shouldn't be any singles. In the case of Hight vs Kalitta, Kalitta returns to race the next round.

Randy,

Dead on! This is the exact line of reasoning I was using in a conversation about the situation on Tuesday.

Now let's see if NHRA has the clarity to make a correct change. I'll bet they grimace at the idea of losing all that "TV drama" with the mad trash.

Randy, Great post

I totally agree and have said that in earlier post except I added that if you cross the centerline after the finish line you are out unless you did so under the direction of the turn off crew. IMHO crossing into the other lane at 290 while slowing down should not be considered any safer than if you did at 290 just before the finishline and shouldn't be looked at any differently. So what happens if you win and you sideswipe the guy in the other lane after you just beat him? I am not talking anything major. Just a little paint swapping.

At a minimum though, I hope NHRA considers at least what you have suggested.

I'm a big believer in KISS (Keep it simple stupid) and you have come up with the ultimate KISS solution! I like it.

Well thought out Randy!
It's my opinion that implementing such a "no-hit" rule would remove the compromise of safety we currently have such as in Robert's case Sunday.

Great post Randy!! I whole heartily agree. John Force and all the Crew Chiefs and Team Owners should never be put into that situation again. I believe you sqarely hit the nail on the head with that post.

I like the "no hit rule". :) Logical, sensible, well thought out, and it puts safety first and keeps teams out of a decision process that could cost a life, a career, or a job. Clear and simple. Maybe I am missing something but I suggest calling/emailing/writing NHRA and simply making the suggestion.

They are reading it here Ted. I'm confident of that!
Your suggestion as a formal ruling suggestion is a wise one. I'd present it to both the new Pro NHRA as well as PRO for discussion.

Randy, you're right about the singles. In this case the "loser" actually wins & comes back.

Maybe a good solution is to allow a back up chassis. Obviously the reason for NOT allowing this is similar to the Pro Stock engine rule. Pro Stock engines (if I am not mistaken) have an i.d number stamped on them. No motor can go from 1 car to the next in an event. I say do the same thing with a chassis. Assign a VIN to each chassis when it is assembled (or sometime along the line). Make teams "register" any chassis they may want to run at an event before the start of an event. For example if John Force has #10001 and #10002 registered to his name for Indy, then he, and only he may run these chassis anytime during that event. Suggestions anyone?!?

Last edited:
I would still prefer a second chassis be allowed to be tech'd and the winner allowed to continue. The race is only a quarter mile how far are we going to legislate it. If they bump someone in the staging lanes are they out?

Now if they don't allow a second chassis then I do beleive that this is a much better option that the current rule and it considering the smaller budget teams actually better then the 2nd chassis idea

What constitutes "hitting" the wall...

Brush the wall with the pipes?
Whitewall the tires?
A little bump to the front end?
Any contact period?

I can just see Force or Bazemore blowing a gasket when they are DQ'd for a bent exhaust pipe. I'm not saying this idea is wrong, just that it could get interesting.

Thank You Jim, I was wondering the same thing...

Now as far as putting the loser back in, instead of a single... Don't like it and ain't buying any... :D

I also would like to know if something like this happens on the 4th qualifying attempt and the team does not have a spare chassis and pulls an all nighter... Who signs off on it being fit to run in round one??

Some may remember at St.Louis last year when Cory Mac lost a header tube and cut the tire which sent him on a ride, and he only brushed the left side guardwall in qualifying... They thrashed all night to put the chassis back together but found that it was not straight and they were uncomforable with running it, and they had a spare up in the rafters, but had just come off their Bristol incident and were taking no chances... The TEAM decided not to run the car, not NHRA... And they did not install the first or second alternate into his spot for round one the next day...
Luigi and Zilla were outside wanting in, but thems the rules in NHRA... ;)

You use the same rule as what happens before the finish line. Any contact and you're out. I have seen them DQ'd for as minor as scraping the headers.

What constitutes "hitting" the wall...

Brush the wall with the pipes?
Whitewall the tires?
A little bump to the front end?
Any contact period?

I can just see Force or Bazemore blowing a gasket when they are DQ'd for a bent exhaust pipe. I'm not saying this idea is wrong, just that it could get interesting.

The current rule in effect shouldn't end at the finish line. It should continue to the end of the track. It's not up to Baze or Force to decide if they broke the current rule if applied past the finish line. It's up to NHRA. And the evidence will speak for itself. No question. Right now, a scratch on a decal will DQ the run, let alone bent pipes or tire marks. The only question after a run will be "Did it hit (touch) or did it not"...not "How hard did it hit (touch)?" Bottom line... The driver under all circumstances must maintain control of the race car from start to finish. Period.

I brushed the wall at Sears Point at over 200 miles per hour about 10 years ago. Trust me. You know when you've touched the wall.

Maintain control of your car and you won't have a problem. If you can't or don't, then reward the guy or gal that did.

Very simple.

RG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back