NHRA waiting for disaster (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately in NHRA racing we have recently seen both spectators and people in the pits killed.
Is there a time bomb out there with the Super classes?
I hope this never happens, but, before it happens NHRA might want to take a close look at this possible problem.:(

Yea your right... lets make it like NASCAR... everyone in the stands, NO spectators allowed in ANY pit area.. so you cant get close to any PS TF or FC to ask for an autograph, no going near any driver unless he/she comes into the stands....

Remember be careful when you take out the garbage. a neighbor just fell and was in the hospital for 3 months..

Another guy hurt his back shoveling snow... poor bastid.. Will never be the same... All race cars should have a heave 10 wheeler on each side & front & back to prevent any chance of it going into the fenced in stands...

For autographs wait in the parking lot Sunday night! Enjoy you NEW DRAG RACE!

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in panic like the passengers in his car."

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
And just how many officials would this require?
You're asking a lot of NHRA to monitor ALL activities EVERYWHERE in the pits. Can't be done.

Don't have to be everywhere...just be somewhere....how many actual officials have you ever seen cruizing the pit area????? Wouldn't take many to make a presence known.

My dad, who had never gone to the races until I had my own car, observed on his first day at the track that it was the only place he had ever been that the pedestrian had no right of way whatsoever....

The pits at a track are not there for the public. Pits exist for the racers and spectators are allowed in to observe. However, the racers come first.

Jim

but you have to admit; there ARE some pretty badass carts out there though :) Worsham had a cool cart when he was with CSK; had a little wing, header pipes....

That's correct:

It's a priviledge, not a right....

Does anyone remember when you had to pay extra for a pit pass?

Go to Firebird Raceway in Boise, you STILL have to pay extra for a pit pass! (For their major events at least). It's just a total ripoff scheme IMO. But when you're the only track in the whole state, you can have as many ripoff schemes as you want I guess.

That's correct:

It's a priviledge, not a right....

Does anyone remember when you had to pay extra for a pit pass?

yepper, at the county it worked out to be about 25% of the ticket price...
and you had to wear it where it could be seen at all times... remember the 'white pants' rule?
d'kid

Go to Firebird Raceway in Boise, you STILL have to pay extra for a pit pass! (For their major events at least). It's just a total ripoff scheme IMO. But when you're the only track in the whole state, you can have as many ripoff schemes as you want I guess.

Not sure it'd be a rip off scheme.....maybe that is their way of keeping the pits less cluttered. Being up close and personal with the cars and drivers is just a perk for todays racing....wasn't always that way.

Getting into the pits at places like Mesa Marin, El Cajon and the late ASCOT for late model races always required multiple signature releases, extra passes and membership to the racing organization (NASCAR)...and that was just to be on one of the pit crews.....No spectators just walking around and getting in the way.

That's correct:

It's a privilege, not a right....

I agree. But, there are still a lot of knuckleheads out there who do not pay attention when they're walking through the pits. They think they have the right of way.
I'd call it thinning out the gene pool but, that's probably not PC these days.
I would just hate to see pit access be restricted due to some fan's negligence.

:rolleyes:
I agree. But, there are still a lot of knuckleheads out there who do not pay attention when they're walking through the pits. They think they have the right of way.
I'd call it thinning out the gene pool but, that's probably not PC these days.
I would just hate to see pit access be restricted due to some fan's negligence.

I agree, but until the morons in the crowd pull thier heads out of their asses, things will continue on until someone is really hurt. Of course, somehow it will be a racers fault. :rolleyes:

Back when Tom Lemon raced his TA/FC while towing through the pits at Pomona he had a spectator jump in front of him and lie down on the ground hoping to get hit so he could sue. They stopped, got out and told the guy to get off the #$@ ground so they could continue on.

you have gotta be ****ttin....I have had the job of walking the car from the pits to the lanes making sure some idiot spectator didnt take out the front wing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back