NHRA puts Johnny Gray and Warren Johnson at risk? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
From DRC:
For the few of you who don't already know, we are on a rain delay at the 29th annual Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Southern Nationals.

The rain came just as the first pair of Pro Stock cars got ready to run, and appeared to be a brief, light sprinkle.

After about ten minutes, the two (Johnny Gray and Warren Johnson) refired and made their runs, only to find more rain waiting at half track.

Gray did a very god job of driving to avoid crashing and we have been on hold ever since. The Pro Stock cars and motorcycles that were in the lanes have returned to the pits.

The weather radar offers hope we'll get a break once the current rain goes by, but there are no guarantees another wave of precipitation won't form behind it.
What happens in this case? Doesn't the NHRA know how to see if the track is wet before sending cars down it? Gray and WJ also aren't listed in the 1st round results. :confused:

Last edited:
I noticed their round wasn't listed either. Warren will meet GA in round 2 if that hasn't been posted yet.
I bet Warren has an opinion of this, will be interesting to see the broadcast tonight and what (might be) said.
Luckily no one was physically injured if it was that dangerous.

DRC just posted a 'corrected' Pro Stock eliminations Rd 1 on their website.
NHRA.com didn't have it on their bracket either, it just showed 14 cars running.

Now another rain delay according to DRC. It says 'we will be here a while', so wonder if they can finish today--or if it is safe enough to do so? Bet they (NHRA) make a better decision this time around regarding track conditions. But who knows?

I think that the headline of this is a little dramatic.

I was there. There was a short sprinkle, as in I probably got hit 5 times with water droplets (and I'm a big guy). It's not like the surface was "wet", per se. Then it stopped and about 10 minutes later, the cars were run.

It was quite scary, but I don't think that the "wet" track was necessarily the culprit. Those P/S cars can get squirrelly on a perfect track.

Do you really believe that NHRA sent cars down the track knowing that it was unsafe? If they wanted to do that, why shut them off in the first place?

It must be nice to be able to use your 20-20 hind sight and point out evryone else's shortcomings while having never made a mistake yourself.

Alan

I was there. There was a short sprinkle, as in I probably got hit 5 times with water droplets (and I'm a big guy). It's not like the surface was "wet", per se. Then it stopped and about 10 minutes later, the cars were run.

It was quite scary, but I don't think that the "wet" track was necessarily the culprit. Those P/S cars can get squirrelly on a perfect track.

Thank you for posting this.

Do you really believe that NHRA sent cars down the track knowing that it was unsafe? If they wanted to do that, why shut them off in the first place?

It must be nice to be able to use your 20-20 hind sight and point out evryone else's shortcomings while having never made a mistake yourself.

Alan
Hey, look what they did to the bikes a while back when Steve Johnson about wrecked. The NHRA was notified 3 or 4 times yet they kept sending people down a wet track. So, yes, I believe that NHRA would send cars down the track without checking to see if the track was dry. In fact, it's been shown they'll still send vehicles down a track that they know has water on it. Good enough answer for you?

a question lt.

Was the track dryer run after the sprinkles? Just saw the replay, and looked like both he and the professor got a bit out of shape. But, Johnny's problems were MUCH worse. Seems to me he started to spin the tire right before the 'transition'. The bump may have intensified the problem.
Once again, a great driving job.
Oh and after Pomona first round sunday in pro stock when two pairs almost flipped them on the lids due to 'questionable' track conditions, what are people supposed to think Alan? Seems to be pretty simular conditions in both cases.

Dude, are you serious?

Last edited:
If you watch carefully on the Johnny Gray car during first round it almost looks like lightning does strike quite litterally. It could just be a flash of a camera but I went back and looked at it a few times and couldn't tell for sure.

I'm not an NHRA apologist, and I'm happy to point out when I think they've made a bonehead move, but sometimes you just have to shake your head at the ridiculous remarks here.

So some of you folks honestly believe that someone in NHRA knew it was raining and said "What the heck, who cares? Let'em rip..." Really?

You guys need to check the tin foil hats at the door. NHRA certainly makes some questionable decisions on the economic front, but I just really can't believe they'd risk anyone -- especially touchy/squirrely P/S cars -- in the rain.

Okay, Chris and Alan, then why did they run the hair dryer down the track right AFTER the Gray/Johnson match up?! Giggles?

Did it rain right AFTER their run?!

They sent it because the TRACK WAS STILL WET!

Man, the Nitro Mater really is starting to suck the hind teat..............the title of this thread really is ridiculous....................:eek:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back