"It's just a fuel altered. They do that." Fuel Altered Photo Album (1 Viewer)

Ha Ha. Sorry for the misunderstanding Bob, but it wasn't to drive the car. It would have been the bottom end guy/truck driver/grill master/t-shirt seller/go-fer/what ever else needs to be done guy.

Still, it would have been cool. BTW I wouldn't drive that thing, it looks dangerous. :eek:

Bob, great AA/FA photos. The last car, Havoc, that's the car from England. I think they came here to do some races. ?? What you don't see in the photo is his brains going side to side. Wow, look at the slicks!

Ha Ha. Sorry for the misunderstanding Bob, but it wasn't to drive the car. It would have been the bottom end guy/truck driver/grill master/t-shirt seller/go-fer/what ever else needs to be done guy.

Still, it would have been cool. BTW I wouldn't drive that thing, it looks dangerous. :eek:

Still good!
But as bottom end guy, your job would be mostly picking up the pieces from the track!

magicmuffler1.jpg

Still good!
But as bottom end guy, your job would be mostly picking up the pieces from the track!

View attachment 4164

Bob, I remember this photo. Didn't see it in person, but that's the crank on the ground and he ran over it. What a mess. Driver is looking down & thinking, oh... fooey.... heh Oh, I think the driver is Jim Miles, who later drove the Black Magic AA/FA.

I think the photog once said the driver wasn't looking down, it lost power so fast his head was jerked forward like he pulled the 'chutes

He was thinking "I hope that's not Larry Sutton I ran over..." HEH Sutton was the best starter at Lions. He went to Irwindale after Lions closed. Once there was a 2 out of 3 between Don Moody & Don Garlits, not too long after Moody ran that 5.91 ET. Garlits was in the bad lane (had been messed up by a rocket car) & wanted to run to put on a show for the fans. But Sutton wanted Garlits to shut off, & G wouldn't do it. So Sutton got a fire extinguisher and put it in front of Garlits' car and that was that.

IMG_2237.JPG

I was at the Nitro Revival at Barona Raceway in the hills above San Diego and took this shot of one of several AA/FA there for the show.

Last edited:
this run was shown from the tower, now watch from the stands. Even Rodney Flournoy had his hands full in the other lane. Rodney's daughter Thaus has the in car video up on her Facebook page.

You can trace this class back to Day One, probably even to the dry lakes. There was a driver, around 1953 (?) with a 32 high boy roadster, 136 MPH & that was the fastest anyone had ever run. regardless of class.

I forgot to mention that they ran the World Fuel Altered Challenge down under at the Sydney Dragway this past weekend. The American Team was represented well.

Hmmm....since I started this thread I've collected 2 Nash Metropolitans and a BMW Isetta....which one to put the 392 in? 🤔

Some 'they just do that' pics in here for sure, particularly the deep end of the bonus gallery:

Fuel Altereds are cool, no matter what country they race in. Low 6's with no wing & (almost) straight...... (Bradford's car and others)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back