is the economy catching up with top alcohol? (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Maybe it's me jumping the gun, maybe the teams are waiting for the night session (if there is one) but at the spokane divisional so far there are 2 alcohol dragsters and four alcohol funny cars making the first round of qualifying. I have also noticed at the last couple of match races I have been at there have been less than half as many cars as there use to be. Things are tough here in the northwest!

Don't forget 64 funnycars at Cap Racing Home Page

Last edited:
Its the same in many divisions Rich. However, it is Friday and most likely there are two sessions tomorrow. But, the Alcohol categorys are hurting like many other classes right now.

It wouldn't be surprising Rich. A good number of Alky team owners are self employed and own businesses, and most businesses big and small, are feeling the downturn, some in big percentages.

At the Brainerd D5 race on Memorial Day weekend, they had 6 dragsters and 6 FC's so your question seems to have some merit.

I think they should let any blown car alcohol dragster or funny car compete as long as it has run in the the sixes before and meets NHRA requirements. True top alcohol racing has gotten to be so expensive that they need to let us B cars in. If we don't qualify then that's the way it goes.

We used to go over and run in top Alcohol when it was AHRA and did pretty good until we would meet up with a true top alcohol car. We'd lose but we still had a great time and got paid too. Right now we are looking at joining the NW BB Funny car Association since we have no place to run our dragster anymore.

I expected a dozen cars in each class at Spokane. I think Clint is in Spokane but must not have made a run yet.

Last edited:
It looks like they now have seven in each class. I still think though that NHRA should allow the B cars a chance to qualify if they can meet safety criteria.

It looks like they now have seven in each class. I still think though that NHRA should allow the B cars a chance to qualify if they can meet safety criteria.
my new client, Kenny Buzdas drives in top eliminator west. If they stepped on it a touch, it would have been in the fives at Fallon and made the show. Thats with a BBC and a glide. Rules prohibit that though. Good point Rich.

Friday's activity for the Alcohol cars at Spokane was just time trials.

All three qualifying sessions were run on Saturday.

For an altitude track, we had some great runs.

Short field in TAD, but stout.

DG

it's about money, we have a brand new car sittin in the shop, tired of wasting my money just gonna keep license active till changes are made, if i sell this one going pro mod, local races paying $5k to winners for 1/8 mile and yes i love racing but it comes a time of economics when u have a family plus i 've had 3 major companies file chapter 11 on me for total of $263k since Jan, a license to steal from the small business man no bailout here in Bama from obama & obiden:mad:

gk

David, that time trial session doesn't follow the normal division 6 format of one qualifying shot on Friday but I stand corrected. I would like to apologize but even so I do think my concerns have some merit. But on the other hand, back in late 80's at a division race at Woodburn they had only four funny cars show up. A few years later there were 13 or 14 of them at the same annual event. So it goes in cycles.

Guy, I know what you mean. I don't want to sell my car but if you are going to race a six second + blown car you have no choice but to eventually race where you can at least recoup some of your expenses or you have to get out or have deep pockets and continue the statisquo. We're seriously looking at a CIFCA type program that has started in the Northwest.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back