Top Comp is Now Top Dragster and Top Sportsman in Div. 6 and 7 (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Well, they split up the dragsters and the door cars. Now in Division 6 and 7 they will have Top Sportsman (32 car field), and Top Dragster (64 car field)

I'm all for the split, but why did they have to increase the dragster field to 64 cars? Why not 32 dragsters and 32 top sportsman cars? I guess I should have kept that injected engine that went 7.80's it would have been a lot cheaper but then again there's nothing like running in the sixes.

I think this 64 car field really waters down the competition. I mean for pete sakes there's already guys jumping ship. One of the cool things about Top comp, it was a real bear just to qualify at some races which made it great for the fans. Sadly, now they will get another shot at watching Super Comp part II.

Economics...

That's an easy decision since most points meets don't draw too many fans they just added 32 more racers paying to race:D

So, where do I fit in?
They state dragster or door car, but what do I run in with the funny-car? I kinda liked top comp, cuz I had a place to run. (And I hate it when they stuff me with all of the long cars.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one good thing is that if you're near Southern California the So Cal Top Comp Association is going to remain exactly the same as this year. Last I heard they are NOT going to split the dragsters from the door cars so at least the events will good practice for the Div-7 events.

Buzz, I think funny cars can run in Top Dragster, uh maybe not. I know of a few that ran in Top Comp. You bring up a good point but I'm going to gues that FC's and alterds can run in Top Dragster.

Buzz...if NHRA continues to utilize the IHRA rules for Top Dragster and Top Sportsman (which they have followed to the letter thus far) your funny car will sadly not have a place in either class. Hopefully the D7 leaders will see to it that you can stay in Top Dragster. You technically qualify in TD as an altered but the issue lies with the fact that your funny car body has fenders. TS is a no-go due to the fact that that class is reserved for full-body, left steer cars only.

D7 needs to do what D4 has done with Top Dragster/Top Sportsman to keep it exciting. They adopted IHRA's national event criteria that mandates a minimum dial-in or 7.70. There is a night and day difference between 7.99 and 7.70. It vastly increases the difficulty to qualify...keeps out the Super Comp cars that can barely run in the 7's and basically makes you bring a 7.50 or quicker car to the line. The IHRA division formula for TD/TS is weak...8.19 1/4 mile minimum dial-in and they are all-run fields. I am glad NHRA didn't use their divisional formula...b-o-r-i-n-g.

How long until we can get every division conducting TD/TS so we can race the NHRA POWERade National Events and possibly for a World Championship? Divisions 4, 6, and 7 now have both classes for 2007. Divisions 1, 2, and 3 have Top Sportsman and I believe I read where D1 is going to have TD next year. D2 and D3 have a bunch of TD racers within their regions...no clue as to why they haven't jumped on this yet.

"D7 needs to do what D4 has done with Top Dragster/Top Sportsman to keep it exciting. They adopted IHRA's national event criteria that mandates a minimum dial-in or 7.70. There is a night and day difference between 7.99 and 7.70. It vastly increases the difficulty to qualify...keeps out the Super Comp cars that can barely run in the 7's and basically makes you bring a 7.50 or quicker car to the line. The IHRA division formula for TD/TS is weak...8.19 1/4 mile minimum dial-in and they are all-run fields. I am glad NHRA didn't use their divisional formula...b-o-r-i-n-g."

Aimen Brother! A 32 car field would put an end to the super comp cars.

There's no way that Buzz could run a flopper in Top Sportsman nor should he!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back