Is Pontiac going.... Now what? (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
GM has released its plan for the future and Pontiac does not seem to have much of a future. WHat happens to all those Pro Stockers? This is only get ting worse.

Market and Retail Operations – In the U.S., GM will focus its product development and marketing efforts on four core brands – Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. Pontiac will be a specialty brand with reduced product offerings within the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel. Hummer has recently been put under strategic review, which includes the possible sale of the brand, and GM will immediately undertake a global strategic review of the Saab brand. As part of the plan, the company also will accelerate discussions with the Saturn retailers, consistent with their unique relationship, to explore alternatives for the Saturn brand.

GM Media Online

Last edited:
Just visited with a friend who runs 3 large GM stores, and he said the only way the general will survive is to cut out some of the overlapping brands. It makes no sense to make the same car or truck in a Chevy or Pontiac, or a Chevy and a GMC.

Don't know about P/S, but this seems like only good news. In fact, they could trim further and focus on Chevy, Cadillac, and GMC. Cars, luxury, and trucks. Buick's customers are all "aging out" (aka dying), so that's not a long-term bet. Move Chevy truck business to GMC. Focus Chevy on volume cars and the sports cars (Vette, Solstice, etc.). Cadillac on luxury. GMC on truck, van, and SUV. Remove all the duplicate "rebadged" models. Let Saturn, Hummer, and Saab all find buyers or die. That's a GM that could thrive, IMHO.

Buick's customers are all "aging out" (aka dying), so that's not a long-term bet. Move Chevy truck business to GMC. Focus Chevy on volume cars and the sports cars (Vette, Solstice, etc.). Cadillac on luxury. GMC on truck, van, and SUV. Remove all the duplicate "rebadged" models. Let Saturn, Hummer, and Saab all find buyers or die. That's a GM that could thrive, IMHO.

Buick is the one that really has me confused. I can't think of one good reason to keep the badge. I would think Saturn would stay and Buick could go. There would be no need to sell the Solstice any longer , the Sky was better looking anyway(just a queer name). But hey, I'm not in marketing. Hummer & Saab dump for sure.

Here's my opinion on this deal:

Other than the G8 and Solstice, what really good cars does Pontiac really have? All their other cars are re badges that are sometimes inferior to the siblings (Malibu over G6, for example). As far as Buick, it's sad when countries like China gets the cool stuff (Over there, the Park Avenue is a rear-drive 6.0L V8 luxury sports sedan) while we are stuck with front-drive blobs. Couple that with banks that are afraid of giving people loans and that is a huge reason why GM is in trouble. You can say the same about Ford and Chrysler too.

In short: Crap products that no one wants + gun-shy banks = trouble.

GM could not only keep Pontiac but even bring back Oldsmobile if they could kick the UAW to the curb and hire all new workers starting at a fraction of what a UAW worker does today and the economy is ripe for that. The UAW has struck so many times for increased wages, pensions, benefits, sick days, vacation days, holidays, mother-in-law's birthdays, etc. that competing with foreign automakers is a failed business plan any way you view it. Restructuring compensations from the top to the line workers would turn this auto industry so far around that Ford could even produce the Edsel again at a profit.

Without a restructuring, Pontiac will be this year's tragedy and we'll count the days for the rest of them until we are all driving Chinese junk.

Without a restructuring, Pontiac will be this year's tragedy and we'll count the days for the rest of them until we are all driving Chinese junk.

Just think about all the Chinese throw aways we have now. Electronics,clothing,shoes,etc. Is it the natural evolution.....next Chicom throw away cars?

GM could not only keep Pontiac but even bring back Oldsmobile if they could kick the UAW to the curb and hire all new workers starting at a fraction of what a UAW worker does today and the economy is ripe for that. The UAW has struck so many times for increased wages, pensions, benefits, sick days, vacation days, holidays, mother-in-law's birthdays, etc. that competing with foreign automakers is a failed business plan any way you view it. Restructuring compensations from the top to the line workers would turn this auto industry so far around that Ford could even produce the Edsel again at a profit.

Doc - you are correct. Without bankruptcy, the former "Big 3" will never rid themselves of these UAW contracts. We can only hope that politicians can see the obvious - unfortunately, the long term marriage of Democrats and unions will probably prevent this. Resulting in the average assembly line worker continuing to make $75/hr while the rest of us pay for the bailout.

... Other than the G8 and Solstice, what really good cars does Pontiac really have? ... As far as Buick, it's sad when countries like China gets the cool stuff (Over there, the Park Avenue is a rear-drive 6.0L V8 luxury sports sedan) while we are stuck with front-drive blobs...

Sam, the Chinese Buick Park Avenue is the long wheel based version of the Holden Commodore, aka Pontiac G8, which is either the Statesman or Caprice here in Australia. Nice, nice car, black with 20" wheels and lowered is the go...

This one's the Holden Special Vehicles )HSV) version called the Grange...

31hsv_m_m.jpg

Don't know about P/S, but this seems like only good news. In fact, they could trim further and focus on Chevy, Cadillac, and GMC. Cars, luxury, and trucks. Buick's customers are all "aging out" (aka dying), so that's not a long-term bet. Move Chevy truck business to GMC. Focus Chevy on volume cars and the sports cars (Vette, Solstice, etc.). Cadillac on luxury. GMC on truck, van, and SUV. Remove all the duplicate "rebadged" models. Let Saturn, Hummer, and Saab all find buyers or die. That's a GM that could thrive, IMHO.

A few years ago I had a chance to visit with a GMC zone manager while we were trying to buy a store with a partner who was a GMC dealer. He told me that there were 4 levels of truck customers and that GM only had vehicles for the lower 3. Chevy would take care of work trucks and stuff up through the Silverado, and GMC would be the premium line--Denali and Escalade type stuff. Still though, it seems like too much overlap--especially in light of the crazy oil prices we have seen the last few years. I argued with my moms husband that a Chevy and a GMC truck was the same truck. When he disagreed, I told him that when I was a service manager at a Chevy store, once a year I would swap emblems with the GMC service manager and trade the Sierra Classic emblems that were mistakenly put on Silverados for the Silverado emblems that were mistakenly put on their Sierra Classics!! At the time (early 80's) they were exactly the same truck less the trim. All of the big 3 are going to have to make drastic changes to survive, and unfortunately that will include getting rid of hundreds of dealers.:(

Bobby, I heard some retired GM worker on Limbaugh the other day say they were given PAID Maternity leave!!!! No wonder they're broke!

Bobby, I heard some retired GM worker on Limbaugh the other day say they were given PAID Maternity leave!!!! No wonder they're broke!

When my son was in high school, he dated a girl for a while that moved to our town from Flint, MI. We were invited to their house one night to meet her parents and the conversation turned to GM. Her mother told us that in Flint, GM was refered to as Generous Motors. She said if you worked for GM, their health care plan was so good that all the doctors, dentists, eye doctors, etc would roll out the red carpet for you because you were a gravy train. You know, excuse me, just because you work in my car plant for 20 years, I dont believe I owe you a living and full health care until you die. Thanks UAW!!

I consciously drive GMC trucks, not Chevy trucks, but only because of design. The sheet metal is different (hood, quarters, grills, etc.) and I prefer the GMC look. And my local GMC dealer's service manager is a good guy, the Chevy guy is a butthead... ;)

I consciously drive GMC trucks, not Chevy trucks, but only because of design. The sheet metal is different (hood, quarters, grills, etc.) and I prefer the GMC look. And my local GMC dealer's service manager is a good guy, the Chevy guy is a butthead... ;)

They are now infact different and in my opinion a better looking truck. The dealer we use now sells both--wish he had when I bought my new dually and I would have a GMC and not a Chevy--grille is nicer looking.

Sam, the Chinese Buick Park Avenue is the long wheel based version of the Holden Commodore, aka Pontiac G8, which is either the Statesman or Caprice here in Australia. Nice, nice car, black with 20" wheels and lowered is the go...

This one's the Holden Special Vehicles )HSV) version called the Grange...

31hsv_m_m.jpg

What GM should do if Pontiac does go away is use the Holden Commodore for the next Impala platform... then we can have a proper rear-drive Impala in the showrooms again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back