Is NHRA a redneck sport? (1 Viewer)

Is NHRA a redneck sport?

• Yes

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 111 79.3%

• Total voters
The NHRA is too expensive to be a redneck sport. :D

Come out to our local 1/8th track on test and tune night and you'll see a redneck sport. Everything from minivan's to 4-door dually's running.

Although, I did hear a mullet wearer trying very earnestly to convince his wife one time in front of Force's souvenir trailer how that slick would look great in the bedroom. :D

DLB

When I start seeing guys with their favorite drivers numbers shaved in their backs at the drag races I will think it is redneck.

if the spectrum of sports goes from cow chip throwing to chess;
and you're personal definition of 'redneck' would align his or herself
closer to cow chips than chess........

no, i think the average drag racing fan understands more about the sport
than the name of the driver / color of car he/she's routing for.

yes, i think if you asked marketing VP's of companies involved in many
forms of motorsports, you'd find nascar & nhra lumped together and then
another demographic for open wheel & F1 fans.

how's that for waffling?

I always considered drag racing less red neck because it takes a basic understanding of numbers to appreciate event the simplest races in our sport (holeshots, redlights, etc.).
The further you delve into the sport, the more numbers savvy you have to be.
As an accountant, I eat up watching Competition Eliminator just because of the complexities of numbers involved. And I'm always fascinating by calculating margin of victory by seeing reaction times and elapsed times and calculting them before the announcers tell us.

I always considered drag racing less red neck because it takes a basic understanding of numbers to appreciate event the simplest races in our sport (holeshots, redlights, etc.).
The further you delve into the sport, the more numbers savvy you have to be.
As an accountant, I eat up watching Competition Eliminator just because of the complexities of numbers involved. And I'm always fascinating by calculating margin of victory by seeing reaction times and elapsed times and calculting them before the announcers tell us.

You might not be a redneck, but you are definitely a nerd!

(it's ok, I am a professional nerd)

As an accountant, I eat up watching Competition Eliminator just because of the complexities of numbers involved. And I'm always fascinating by calculating margin of victory by seeing reaction times and elapsed times and calculating them before the announcers tell us.

As a Ph. D. Economist who knows why a donut is not topologically equivalent to a a blueberry muffin, I got to agree with you about Comp. And that's why I own a comp car!

Still, I like not only Jazz, but also bluegrass and real country music. Give me Hank (and I don't mean Jr) over Tug McGraw's kid any day! So I guess there's some redneck in me too!

Last edited:
I'd say no and my evidence would be any of the eyecandy shots Joe Sherwoods posts after he's been to a national event. ;)

In all seriousness, being an ignorant stick-and-ball sportswriter prior to being introduced to NHRA championship drag racing in 2004, I was very surprised when I attended my first race as I was fully expecting a 'redneck' crowd. And I noted that in my story. I have seen way more mullets at high school wrestling matches in the Seattle suburbs than I did at any of the races.

There were couples on dates at the track. Families, not just dads and sons, but moms and daughters, too. I always chat with folks at the track and I've discovered that drag racing fans come from all demographic sectors and all walks of life. I've taken my mom, my husband, my best buddy and an ex-friend (a woman) to the track. My best buddy is already begging me to take him back to the track and the NHRA doesn't come this way again until the end of July.

Another thing I want to mention is license plates. Have you ever looked at license plates in the parking lot when you've gone to an event? Up here, I see them from all over the region, B.C., California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, just to name a few. When we were in Vegas I saw plates from New Mexico, Arizona, heck even a few from Canada and the midwest, and lots of other places. They can't all be rednecks, right? :D

)........Another thing I want to mention is license plates. Have you ever looked at license plates in the parking lot when you've gone to an event?........ :D

one year at brainerd, early morning, i was in my golf cart coming back from
tom thumb.......i think it was a friday....... the stockers were on
the track......i'm passing back thru the front gate and this guy, who had
parked across the highway for the day, waves at me and asks if he could
have a ride to the stands as he was a huge stock fan, and with a quick ride
would save at least a 10 minute walk; i said hop on - when i dropped him
off he gave me his card, he worked in the hotel business in the banff, canada
area and had made the journy south for the race.
.......him and about 10,000 other canadiens each year.
i love to hear their anthem on sundays every year sung by the
barber shop octet.
sorry, a little off-topic.

ok. try this. it was a chamber of commerce day with nitro fumes in the air.
i was in redneck heaven!:rolleyes:

I think you people voting no are thinking of yourselves. Look a little closer at the people in the stands. :D

LOL, as far as Appalachian American goes, I do believe the Appalachian Mountain Range stretches from Georgia to Maine? :)

Terry Yonts up there did it right. That's what I thought this thread would turn into.

Morning Ron....

One thing I hope is that we do not become a redneck sport. The last thing we need is to become NASCAR. When I was growing up, you could not buy alcohol at the track, and if you were caught, you would be removed.

I won't even go to a short track stock car race because of crowd, yeah, I'm a city kid, maybe that colors my thank on the term redneck, but I don't like being around the stereotypical redneck... and I believe that if we become typecasted as such, the sport will never become mainstream.

just my 25 cents

Thanks Ron. Being from Southestern Kentucky I have seen most of if not all the things I stated. At Mountain Park Raceway years ago I saw a driver pull the chute and jeans, shirts, and underwear came out on the track. The person he had bought the car from failed to tell him the chute bag was just on the car for looks.

Thanks Ron. Being from Southestern Kentucky I have seen most of if not all the things I stated. At Mountain Park Raceway years ago I saw a driver pull the chute and jeans, shirts, and underwear came out on the track. The person he had bought the car from failed to tell him the chute bag was just on the car for looks.

Wow.... And not only the humor in the situation but the stark realization that someone actually made a pass down the track in a car with a parachute and didn't think about pulling and repacking it before hitting the go pedal.... :eek:

If your race shop doubles as a smokehouse.....

If your front yard has more cars in it than an NHRA Import race ......

Hey Ron I am just suprised you admitted to knowing bill dee........lol

LOL, spent four DAYS with him last week! Picked him and his rolling chassis up last Wednesday, spent more than a day with him complaining about how everything on his side of the truck should work (???..I never go to that side!). Then we got to spend Friday helping each other prep John Smith and Ray Murphy's nostalgia nitro funnies to send them down Ware Shoals. Bill's still down there! He answers to Bill Hartman now! He's enjoying barbecue with them tomorrow, so I think the Southernization process is doing it's work on him.

iB::Topic::Ware Shoals........

Hey Ron I am assasin over there....That was some funny chit billy complaining about the window..I have only seen pics of Virgils shop but I know he would prolly have to call the cops to get me to leave...lol...

Hey Ron I am assasin over there....That was some funny chit billy complaining about the window..I have only seen pics of Virgils shop but I know he would prolly have to call the cops to get me to leave...lol...

Okay. Maybe you had to be there, but the funniest was trying to get by Virgil with all those groceries. :D I really wish I could go back down there for tomorrow, but I already got nothing done around here last weekend. I really felt like I was in my element down there. Talked to Bill the other day and he is having one HAPPY vacation. When he answered the phone I said "Bill Hartman, please" and he said "Speaking." and we both broke out laughing. I think I laughed more in the last week than I did in the last year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back