Is NHRA a redneck sport? (1 Viewer)

Is NHRA a redneck sport?

• Yes

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 111 79.3%

• Total voters
Depends on how people define "Redneck"? To most people most white Blue-collar types are considered Rednecks. But I've noticed that the crowds at NHRA races from Pomona to Gainesville to Chi-town, the crowds are soo different demographic wise at each venue.

And I suppose everybody has a different definition as well. What I would see as a redneck might not be to anyone else..hehe.

I see one every day when I look in the mirror! I am a country boy who lives in the city for sure. Anyways, like above it really depends on what your description of redneck is and everyone's different. NASCAR has alot more than NHRA does. Personally I know people who have planned weddings/receptions/partys/etc around Nascar races.

one trip through the sportsman pits at a national will tell you the answer is either no, or we're all the "beverly Hillbillys"

I think the proper term now is: "Appalachian American".

LOL, there you go! I love it! Unlike most "African Americans" we can say we're actually from there! Whether we WANT to or not? That's another question! Like most of you, we cringe whenever they get a real gem representing us to give their opinion about anything on a news camera. We're all just sitting there thinking "Please don't let them be simple. Please don't let them be simple." :D

Sounds like Jeff Foxworthy needs to come up with a bunch of "You might be a redneck if...." lines tailored just for drag racing! I bet we could come up with a few. The bad thing is they might be based in truth! :D

If you have a spit cup holder in your race car, you might be a redneck.

Just last weekend I was in a Waffle House with Bill Dee, owner of several nitro funny cars throughout the 70s and 80s (who's putting one together for IHRA right now), at about 1 AM. I'm not kidding. After he ordered ham and eggs and I ordered a chop steak and eggs, the waitress (probably in her 50s) turned around and yelled to the cook "Animals and eggs, y'all!"

Last edited:
If you surprised your wife by treating her to two days and three nights at the Division 7 Race in Fallon, Nevada, for your 25th anniversary, you might be an "Appalachian American".

Being from Maine I am quite familiar with the "redneck" term. :D

My wife informs me that I "dress redneck" by choice most of the time. Something about hair a little too long, a ballcap, t-shirts, stubble, and she says there is a crack in my jeans...:p

However, as far as a redneck sport the answer I suspect is actually "no".

I see the drag race demographics as more technology and more detail oriented than most other sports. That people can actually participate rather than just spectate at all ages and levels lifts the sport into the action category instead of the armchair class. This important detail makes the sport more appealing to active and educated people.

Does taking your wife to a race 4500 miles from home for your honeymoon count as redneck?

Or maybe then when you find out the race has been postponed 2 weeks, booking new flights out of Dallas to replace the now useless ones out of SanFrancisco, driving to LA anyway so you get to see the Pacific and the sights on-route, then steaming back across 3.5 states to make round 1 of qualifying?

If thats redneck, then I guess yes we are and yes it is!

But in reality I honestly think that the average drag racing fan is far from what most people would consider redneck, is usually very knowledgeable about their chosen sport, and probably twice as passionate about it.

CP

Last edited:
We sport the rebel flag & the american flag on our trailer at the races
and very proud of our American as well as our Southern past, it's all good
rednecks have money too!!:eek: and i don't hollar racism when i'm called one
either unlike other groups do:rolleyes: but i do think you have to have a little red blood in ya to be a racer:D We are very fortunate to have different races and gender groups representing our sport as well as a fan base!

The Original Bama Boy;)

Last edited:
Criminy! NHRA Drag Racing is the most accessible motorsport there is. Whether competing on a grassroots level or enjoying a national event, there is NO COMPARISON!
I did see a BudKing marketing presentation a few years ago that confirmed that NHRA is attracts a more upper-income demographic than one might suspect. Not the Brie and White Burgundy crowd (per se) but, folks with a good deal of disposable income. I haven't seen recent surveys but - I SUSPECT - the biggest problem NHRA has is a fan base that's getting older. With apologies to Ken Dychtwald, the Holy Grail for marketers still seems to be that 25-40 group.
Last point: Is there ANYBODY who has taken a virgin spectator to an NHRA national event, who hasn't seen their friend have a great time - whether their continuing "cup-of-tea" or not, folks usually are fascinated by the experience.

Nothing wrong with being a redneck. It is rednecks that will sit in the sun 6-7 hours to watch cars go down the track in a couple of seconds, it is rednecks that have no problem parking their $30,000 cars in a mowed cow pasture and walking a mile or more to get into the track, it is a redneck that is more interested in quanity than quality when it comes to beer, it is a redneck that buys products because their favorite cars have the product on their cars and trailers, it is a redneck that will sit and watch drag racing on TV when they already know the results, it is a redneck that when spend money to become a sanctioning bodies member when all they get is a magazine filled will ads and results that are weeks late, and finally it is a redneck that thinks that the smell of nitromethane and racing gasoline are the greatest odors in the world. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these and am proud to call myself a redneck.

You are a red neck drag racer if your car has the sponsor"Possum...The other white meat". Tech makes you take your can of Skoal off the dash or strap it down. You set your car up on concrete blocks in the pits. You take the tires off of your home to put on your car hauler on weekends.Your crew uniforms do not have sleeves or collars.You pull your car to the staging lanes with a logging chain and 4 wheel drive. Your wife can not jump up and down when you win for fear of loosing her teeth and things bouncing from her knees to her nose hitting her repeatedly knocking her unconcious on the starting line.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back