NHRA Sport Compact Series no more... (1 Viewer)

Changes in NHRA Sport Compact

I know not many of you are fans of the sport compact series but would like to know your thoughts on this? Everything seems to be clear as mud at this point and the future of NHRA Powerade probably isnt going anywhere but it seems to me that NHRA isnt wanting any part with sport compact and will soon die out after NOPI gets a handle on it? What are your thoughts?

NHRA Sony Xplōd Sport Compact Racing Series: NHRA to sanction NOPI sport compact racing events in 2008

That can't be a bad thing. Combining them means that they won't be competing for the same market, plus it relieves NHRA from trying to fight that battle...........however it is important to maintain some ties to the Import side.

Re: Changes in NHRA Sport Compact

That's what it looks to me. Instead of just straight closing up shop, they are going to sanction NOPI. Alot of questions that need to be answered, but it may end up not being such a bad thing for us sport compact racers. Now everyone can concentrate on 1 series with 1 set of rules. Just sucks that NHRA is not behind it anymore (more than allowing NOPI to run at NHRA tracks) and that we aren't racing for Wally's, but I'll cherish the ones I have.

Well, the way I read it, you'll still be chasing Wallys at the NHRA "sanctioned" events, but not at the events that are pure NOPI. You'll still be following NHRA rules, racing in NHRA classes, and accumalating NHRA points. It looks to me like what's happening here is that NHRA decided to let NOPI handle the show and business end of it while they handle the competition end of it.

Actually, it makes a good bit of sense to me. I had heard the the NHRA import side was going to go away entirely, so as Lance said, they're still keeping their hand in the action this way.

'Gotta be a positive development. JUST JUDGEING BY TV, it looks like either org has challenges filling a field, better to have one sanctioning group. Develop a critical mass.
If NOPI wants to keep it going, they benefit from NHRA association and NHRA doesn't have to "do it all'.

PS: I find it difficult to relate to most of the "Tuner Experience" but, if we don't bring young people over there won't be that much of a future for the entire sport.

The NOPI races have great bikini contests already even without having the drivers in them. :)
It sounds like NHRA is combining with NOPI and that isn't a bad thing. The competition is becoming unaffordable to the group it was started for and that's made for dwindling car count. 8's was very fast for any import just a couple years ago. Now some of those low six second cars run heads up against Pro Mods. Any new class of heads up racing suffers that fate.

They may be foreign cars to us but to most of the rest of the world they are quite domestic and that is a good way to expand the appeal of drag racing to the few places that haven't already heard of it.
Bangkok Drag Avenue
Drag-Bitva 2007

I have sat through quite a few of those import NHRA shows on TV. The biggest issue is fields of only 6-8 cars and half-empty stands. I have to laugh at the drivers who say "we've been struggling" and he's safely in the show.

I liked the sport compacts when they were allowed V8s. Although me and I'm sure many others are impressed by a 4-banger that puts a grand worth of horsepower, to a casual drag racing fan or people who like V8-powered cars (like me), what does the sport compacts remind them of? They remind people of the riced-out Honda or Toyota with the fart cannon exhaust and basket-handle wing that's owned by the rap-blasting punk down the street.

Not to mention many of those sport compacts keep the track crew busy with all the axles and other parts they snap/break leaving them unable to make the call for the next round.

Oh, and as for as the half-empty crowds? It would be even worse if not for the bikini contests....

If people think I'm off-base, then why do guys like Matt Scranton and Justin Humphreys switch to AMERICAN cars in pro stock?

I have sat through quite a few of those import NHRA shows on TV. The biggest issue is fields of only 6-8 cars and half-empty stands. I have to laugh at the drivers who say "we've been struggling" and he's safely in the show.

I liked the sport compacts when they were allowed V8s. Although me and I'm sure many others are impressed by a 4-banger that puts a grand worth of horsepower, to a casual drag racing fan or people who like V8-powered cars (like me), what does the sport compacts remind them of? They remind people of the riced-out Honda or Toyota with the fart cannon exhaust and basket-handle wing that's owned by the rap-blasting punk down the street.

Not to mention many of those sport compacts keep the track crew busy with all the axles and other parts they snap/break leaving them unable to make the call for the next round.

Oh, and as for as the half-empty crowds? It would be even worse if not for the bikini contests....

If people think I'm off-base, then why do guys like Matt Scranton and Justin Humphreys switch to AMERICAN cars in pro stock?

Being a "import" racer myself, it is very annoying to be classed with those that ruin it with the above examples you gave but in most cases anyone who knows something about racing can tell whos there for show and whos there to race. I went to the SC finals in Pomona last year and was very impressed with the drivers and crews in how professional and knowledgable they were and I wish that more people would come out and learn something. And being a female, I think the bikini contests and bs like that just brings the wrong crowd to the track, granted money is money and it gets people in the stands but I go to the track to race. Sport Compact series will never be what Powerade is today but it would be nice for the sport to grow and have more people out there racing.

With the import crowd its all about respect.......or the lack of. To see a guy with his hat sitting sideways looking like the punk down the street from my house its really hard to take them seriously.

Like Joe i would not be opposed to Ashley Force in a nomex bikini.
Certainly Nopi draws crowds judging by their TV shows. You can't always tell by the grandstands, many times there is fantastic action going on the sportsman classes at an NHRA event and the stands are near empty with 50,000 people milling around the pits. Perhaps the bikini contests are on while Mikaela is racing? ;)

.....................Although me and I'm sure many others are impressed by a 4-banger that puts a grand worth of horsepower, to a casual drag racing fan or people who like V8-powered cars (like me), what does the sport compacts remind them of? They remind people of the riced-out Honda or Toyota with the fart cannon exhaust and basket-handle wing that's owned by the rap-blasting punk down the street...............
Yeah I know what you mean, kinda like, all Blacks are theaves, all Italians are mobsters, all Mexicans are lazy, all Southerners are stupid..................:rolleyes:
With the import crowd its all about respect.......or the lack of. To see a guy with his hat sitting sideways looking like the punk down the street from my house its really hard to take them seriously.
That same Punk is liable to grow up to be a doctor........................and don't forget for a second what you looked like at that age. Those same kids can tune a Turbocharged, Electronic Fuel Injection System in their driveway faster than an old fart can adjust the idle on his Quadrajet.

Last edited:
The NOPI races have great bikini contests already even without having the drivers in them. :)
It sounds like NHRA is combining with NOPI and that isn't a bad thing. The competition is becoming unaffordable to the group it was started for and that's made for dwindling car count. 8's was very fast for any import just a couple years ago. Now some of those low six second cars run heads up against Pro Mods. Any new class of heads up racing suffers that fate.

They may be foreign cars to us but to most of the rest of the world they are quite domestic and that is a good way to expand the appeal of drag racing to the few places that haven't already heard of it.
Bangkok Drag Avenue
Drag-Bitva 2007

Racing is racing, they do some amazing stuff with four cylinders. They have more than a couple JDM eight cylinder cars.
BIGEND

S/F
D

Being a "import" racer myself, it is very annoying to be classed with those that ruin it with the above examples you gave but in most cases anyone who knows something about racing can tell whos there for show and whos there to race. I went to the SC finals in Pomona last year and was very impressed with the drivers and crews in how professional and knowledgable they were and I wish that more people would come out and learn something. And being a female, I think the bikini contests and bs like that just brings the wrong crowd to the track, granted money is money and it gets people in the stands but I go to the track to race. Sport Compact series will never be what Powerade is today but it would be nice for the sport to grow and have more people out there racing.

What are the purses in Drifting?, it seems like a lot of guys that used to be involved in the sport compact drags are now drifting.

D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back