Another lawsuit? (1 Viewer)

Oh man. Here we go again. That series was a money hole for NHRA wasn't it? It seems to me that combining the two series makes the most sense, and preserves a stable venue for the series and competitors involved. A good thing in my opinion, or am I off base?

Seems to be these guys would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I wish someone could ask those "IMPORT" racers how much time E Town spent cleaning up after them in the last Import Vs American Iron race... (would you believe 13 oil Down by Imports, or close to that #) and the time and $ spent cleaning up after them..
I saw a Bone Stock Toyota Corolla with a NO2 kit on it and it was called "Old School Pro" Gimmie a break!!:rolleyes:

Just look at Comp Eliminator ..they have ALL types of engine combo's and very seldom oil the track.. why.. because 99.99% of Comp racers KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Import to some extent are misplaced street racers...bolt on a BIG NO2 or Turbo and you are called Pro .... Duhhhhhhhh..

Just my .02

how and why do people think NHRA owes them a place to race. and when NHRA cancels a class or series they are intitled to a payback. give me a break. grow up!

I accidentally went to my first all import race last weekend.(went to see a track and there happened to be a "race" happening). No further comment needed from there. I think combining them was smart. neither one has full fields(that I have ever seen on tv or reading) so maybe they will have decent car counts?

I believe the main basis for a lawsuit is that although you talk trash about "imports" there are guys out there running the series as their full time job and have sponsors they need to make happy. NHRA gave their word that there would be a 2008 season and cars were built to satisfy the NHRA rules and alot of money was spent..we all know that NHRA did the whole NOPI joining thing to avoid a lawsuit and who knows maybe there isnt room for one but until it is filed and we hear more we cant really pinpoint what the issue is.

All I know is NHRA left sport compact out to dry and they tried to cover their asses doing it. They now have to join NOPI..who im my opinion is all about the junk you guys complain about..its pure ass and car shows. NOPI explains it best in their own words "you dont have to love racing to love NOPI" ...Well I know the true racers are there to race not go watch a car show full of junk and half naked girls walking across a stage for a majority of the event. I can see the sport compact racer's frustrations and dont blame them for being unhappy about the things that have gone on.

Mikaela, what are the Major rule differences that you speak of? And couldn't NOPI adjust they're rules to accomodate? Don't you think NHRA would have gone over this before this merger was discussed?

Mikaela, what are the Major rule differences that you speak of? And couldn't NOPI adjust they're rules to accomodate? Don't you think NHRA would have gone over this before this merger was discussed?

I believe that everyone is waiting on the official word of what rules will be used and yes I do think NHRA probably discussed it but theres more to it then just rules, in my opinion. I think a few people might have jumped the gun on the whole lawsuit issue and I cant say its the right road to take but Im just hoping that NOPI/NHRA can pull this off..they keep saying what their going to do now they just need to pull through!

I have raced with the NOPI series for the past 5 seasons. It is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Unfortunately you wouldn't know that if you only watched the Speed Channel show. All that most people relate to NOPI is bikini contests and jello wresting. Let's not forget that NHRA sport compact held bikini jams too. Alot of the pro sport compact teams decided to follow the NHRA series due to the prestige of NHRA, but you can see where that got them. NOPI has always been about getting more cars out to the track, whereas NHRA sport compact made alot of rules that restricted cars and pushed people out of the sport (not good for a new/floundering series). With the addition of the domestics 2 years ago and the flourishing sportsman classes, I see NOPI being around for quite some time. Next season, come out and see an event. The 2 scheduled englishtown races in 2008 are going to be great for our sport. Hopefully NOPI can secure a legitimate race show ala IHRA on speed.

I have raced with the NOPI series for the past 5 seasons. It is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Unfortunately you wouldn't know that if you only watched the Speed Channel show. All that most people relate to NOPI is bikini contests and jello wresting. Let's not forget that NHRA sport compact held bikini jams too. Alot of the pro sport compact teams decided to follow the NHRA series due to the prestige of NHRA, but you can see where that got them. NOPI has always been about getting more cars out to the track, whereas NHRA sport compact made alot of rules that restricted cars and pushed people out of the sport (not good for a new/floundering series). With the addition of the domestics 2 years ago and the flourishing sportsman classes, I see NOPI being around for quite some time. Next season, come out and see an event. The 2 scheduled englishtown races in 2008 are going to be great for our sport. Hopefully NOPI can secure a legitimate race show ala IHRA on speed.

Very well put, Brian! We've been misunderstood (us, the real sport compact racers) for far too long. It's NOT all about the garbage they keep putting on TV.

I (personally) am not a big "Import" racer fan, & I attribute that to all the OIL DOWNS, and How Drivers Conduct themselves in the pits..& staging lanes ...

Now IF the Import series could restrict or somehow keep some of the BONE Stock Toyota's (1980 vintage) with a 200 NO2 shot, and call them "Old School Pro" it would be a big help...

The car (type) I'm speaking of is a old clunker driven by an 18 yr old kid adding NO2 or a Turbo.. and launching.. blowing it up 60' out and coasting to the last turn off with oil dripping for 1/2 mile..

Now I have a 30 min wait while the track has to clean up an extra 1000' this could have been prevented by this KID who is called a "Pro" if he had the knowledge to pull over right away!

At these Import races I agree there are many GOOD running and well built Import, & Domestic FWD cars that put on a GREAT show, and have GREAT performance, however its the "wannabes" who run junk and break on every 3rd or 4th run that cause 30 min clean ups..

I'd love to watch a good Import race at E Town but NOT at the cost and aggravation of sitting through (last race 13 oil downs)

Whoever is calling the shots at these races should have better tech... also maybe you can help me with the folowing... I have raced over 40 yrs from Stock to Comp Eliminator... I do know a little about engines... but am still learning... here is my question...>>

Why do Import racers "HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REV THEIR ENGINES IN THE PITS & STAGING LANES not once or twice but for 10-15 min... Zinnnnnng....Zinggggggg....Zingggggg over and over.... ??

Is there something or some part of an Import engine I do not know about that "requires" the driver or tuner to do this to make the car run better... I'm always willing to learn... In 2008 I will be racing a 10 sec Corvette, and if by revving it to 7000 rpm over and over in the pits and staging lanes will get it to run a little faster or more consistent , please tell me how and WHY, & I will also rev it until the valves are denting or in my case cracking the hood.. :)

I would appreciate and be thankful for any help Brian or any other Import racer can give me... thanks..

Last edited:
OK while I'm on my soap box here is another bet/challenge I'd like to make with any Import racer who will be at one of the E Town Events next yr..

I'll start with yesterday at E Town... The had I think two classes + time trials.. one class was the Corvette Challenge.. with app 65 Vetts in it.. they ranged from bone stock C4s to 8 sec Turbo, or Supercharged...or NO2..

Also they (E Town) had a "Hemi" challenge all new Hemis.. they also ranged from stock 14 sec cars to I think 11 sec.. + there were about 30 various Time Trial cars .... If my failing memory is correct I think all day there were a total of 2 oil downs...

So who ever wants to make a small (Dinner) bet on oil downs at the next Import event I'll pick a # say 8 if less than 8 oil downs I'll by you dinner.. if there are more than 8 oil downs I'll take a steak at the Outback on Rt 9...

Last edited:
Why do Import racers "HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REV THEIR ENGINES IN THE PITS & STAGING LANES not once or twice but for 10-15 min... Zinnnnnng....Zinggggggg....Zingggggg over and over.... ??
Didn't you know that revving = tuning. :p I call it the rev-tune. It also seems to affect young guys on sportbikes too. And dummies with carbed vehicles that can't set the choke correctly so when it's cold it'll idle properly. Why bother properly tuning your vehicle when you can just sit there and rev the piss out of your engine and make lots of noise for everyone to show how cool you are? :rolleyes:

Well I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience at an import race. I'd hardly compare an etown imports vs domestics race to a national sport compact event. Yes, we do have oildowns, but I've been to a few Powerade races and domestic only races where there have been plenty of oildowns too. (just look at the world street nationals event in Orlando, where oil downs were king). To run any class besides brackets at an NHRA event, it was mandatory to have catch pans and/or diapers. NOPI requires such for any car running 9.59 or quicker. This greatly reduces the oil downs. As for revving a car for no reason in the pits, yes it does happen, but any serious turbocharged car will 2 step their car in the pits to adjust launch boost.

Are there some bad apples in our scene? Of course there are, but to stereotype sport compact racers based on a few idiots would be the same as me stereotyping domestic RWD racers as a bunch of hillbillies named bobby joe driving 16 second 87 IROCs with louvers on the back window...

All that most people relate to NOPI is bikini contests and jello wresting.

Nothing wrong with bikini contests and like Bill Cosby used to tell us "Always room for Jello" :D Does this merger mean they keep all that and we still get to see Charity Hodges on the TV?

I can tell by the TV shows that there aren't huge fields of cars but the races are entertaining especially those little "Toyotas with a 200 shot" from Puerto Rico.

John - I'm sorry you have experienced that type of thing from the "import" crowd at a local Domestics vs. Imports event. I think that before you cloud the Mater up with longwinded rants about Sport Compact Drag Racing, you should at least attend a professional sanctioned event such as Nopi and the late NHRA SC. It is hardly fair to stereotype a group of hard working people by some kid in a Toyta Celica at a local track....sounds silly.

As Brian said, the revving in the pits is usually to check what kind of boost they are building on the 2-step. Guys are using some pretty snazzy boost controllers, and leaving the line with the type of powerband these little motors have can prove tricky with varying track conditions.

Come on out to a race and watch the real cars and talk with the teams. I think you'll have a different opinion.

John - I'm sorry you have experienced that type of thing from the "import" crowd at a local Domestics vs. Imports event. I think that before you cloud the Mater up with longwinded rants about Sport Compact Drag Racing, you should at least attend a professional sanctioned event such as Nopi and the late NHRA SC..

Luke... Yes I admit I DO owe the SC racers that consideration.. and I WILL make it my business to attend a professional Import race.. However any Import race that is held at E Town usually has at least 2 bracket classes... & THAT IS WHERE I HAVE MY PROBLEM Not with "Bracket Racers" in general because I AM ONE...

It is hardly fair to stereotype a group of hard working people by some kid in a Toyota Celica at a local track....sounds silly.

As Brian said, the revving in the pits is usually to check what kind of boost they are building on the 2-step.

I agree 100% about the stereotype, but when I was referring to the revving in the pits/staging lanes, I knew it was NOT the professionals setting the 2 step or boost etc... it was JUNKERS or rotary engines with the "Gang Banger Looking" driver and (alleged crew)

To be honest & candid the "Gang Banger" look, attitude, and mannerisms turn me off!! and I AM NOT INTIMIDATED by them as I was a cop for 29 yrs and dealt with all types, its just (in my opinion) they or "That Look" don't fit well with the drag racing crowd.

As for the racing itself.. YES I would very much like to watch some "good" not necessarily "Professional" Compact racing... I just don't want to watch what looks like Kuwait leaking oil every 3rd or 4th run...

>>Come on out to a race and watch the real cars and talk with the teams. I think you'll have a different opinion<<

That I will do... & I will make it my business to be sure that its a Pro series and not just "Import/Sport Compact" race day...

Sounds good...and bring that 10 second Vette. There will probably be a class for you, though you couldn't qualify for the street class against the 4 bangers :D Darn street legal FWDs are doing close to 170mph :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back