Is Larry Morgan ruining the sport of drag racing? (1 Viewer)

No, some of us see that you are ignorant. How about you stab a guy in the back and then just, "awh, just kidding, let me get you a band aid....:rolleyes:

Again, just so I make myself clear; my question was....WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? If John Force is supposedly hurting the sport in some way, then why is it any different when it comes to another driver/team, especially a favorite like Morgan? Why does the same rule not apply there? If one team is doing something that has been deemed detrimental to the sport by some, then why is it not a legitimate concern when someone else does the same thing?

Even going back to the title of the thread, do I think Larry Morgan is hurting the sport? Hell no!! I titled it that way, because I knew people would see how stupid that sounded. And it is stupid. It's a ridiculous statement, and anybody with a shred of common sense would see that. Just like it's ridiculous to say some of the other teams out there are hurting the sport. I just don't see how you can straddle the fence, you are either completely against the practice, or you just accept it for what it is.

Countdown or not, I thought it was all about the fans, and giving them a good show.

I hate to be a bubble burster. If it was "all about the fans and giving them a good show" then the Summit boyz would be more worried about how to mount the flame throwers and flourescent rocker panel lights than making horsepower on the dyno. The real racers are there to race and win, and oh by the way someone showed up to watch.

Don't get me wrong, the funding comes from sponsors who want the fans to be happy. But if you check the history of nearly every racer you'll find they first started racing whether there were no one in the stands or 20 million on live TV.

RG

I hate to be a bubble burster. If it was "all about the fans and giving them a good show" then the Summit boyz would be more worried about how to mount the flame throwers and flourescent rocker panel lights than making horsepower on the dyno. The real racers are there to race and win, and oh by the way someone showed up to watch.

Don't get me wrong, the funding comes from sponsors who want the fans to be happy. But if you check the history of nearly every racer you'll find they first started racing whether there were no one in the stands or 20 million on live TV.

RG

Post of the week for me

I find it funny how people say Force is the only organization who dives, he's ruining the sport, blah blah blah.....did you even watch Pro Stock? While Larry Morgan was surfing around in his lane, John Nobile was building up a sizable lead in the other. Then it was like Nobile realized he was way out on the boss and thought it best to push in the clutch. Larry was able to drive around him for the win. So why is that different? Why does it not generate the same controversy? And NO I'm not saying Larry is ruining the sport at all, just wanted to make some people think.

the difference is the nitro hot rod association will only tell larry what shirt he cant wear. The NHRA does not respect any of the prostock professionals, the stick it to them with the tv time and everything else that is done to promote just the nitro catergories.

John leased the car from larry, larry is higher up in the points than john, so they did what they thought was right, big deal. I like the nitrous sticker larry has on his car.

Larry is not ruining the sport, far from it.

the difference is the nitro hot rod association will only tell larry what shirt he cant wear. The NHRA does not respect any of the prostock professionals, the stick it to them with the tv time and everything else that is done to promote just the nitro catergories.

Larry is not ruining the sport, far from it.

Definitely a true statement there...

"John leased the car from larry, Larry is higher up in the points than John, so they did what they thought was right, big deal. I like the nitrous sticker Larry has on his car."

And I, as a fan, am supposed to feel like I'm getting my ($55.00) money's worth watching this dive????

I don't think so... Larry and John owe the fans a legitimate race. As smart as their crew chiefs are, they could AT LEAST dial in some mechanical or electrical settings that would ensure a Morgan win; it's not as if they didn't know they'd be racing each other.

The fans paid a considerable amount of money to watch DRAG racing..

Dumping the clutch near the finish line, because you are afraid you might win, is not what drag racing's all about.

Priorities.... Their priorities are very confused. This kind of crap is part of why half of the stands are empty. Larry and John are both smarter than that... or, I thought they were.

Here's a crazy thought... maybe something broke?:confused: I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. Carry on. :rolleyes:

Probably had something to do with a candy bar.

RG

Lol, another good one from Randy. Love it!

I've been holding on to the truth . . . and this has gone too far so I'm going to have to speak up. In their rush to get Larry's weekly order out, Speedtech left out the backup fuel solenoid for the second stage of Larry's nitrous system, so Larry "borrowed" the one off his leased engine and replaced it with a Jeg's branded fuel solenoid. Well that failed about halfway through the run and one of the cylinders leaned out . . . and . . . well . . . you know the rest of the story.

I've been holding on to the truth . . . and this has gone too far so I'm going to have to speak up. In their rush to get Larry's weekly order out, Speedtech left out the backup fuel solenoid for the second stage of Larry's nitrous system, so Larry "borrowed" the one off his leased engine and replaced it with a Jeg's branded fuel solenoid. Well that failed about halfway through the run and one of the cylinders leaned out . . . and . . . well . . . you know the rest of the story.

I knew it! ;)

Sounds legit to me. :D

It is very apararent you do not know Larry Morgan and you have never driven a pro stock car

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Larry is Nobile's engine supplier. Not his boss. I can't imaging what either one of them would have to gain by having John throw the round. With the engine speeds these guys are turning now, it's not unusual at all to have one pull up lame before the finish. And I agree, the thread title could use some improvement.

Sammy, if your response was in response to my post . . . sorry there bud, I was joking.

You know Larry has a bit of a sense of humor right?

You know he runs a rather large Speedtech nitrous sticker on his hood scoop right?

You know we had a little fun with Jeggy blowing the scoop off of his ride a few weeks ago . . . and with the explanation given?

Sorry, I will try to keep things more straightforward for you in the future.

I do greatly enjoy your radio show though! Bob must be the one with the sense of humor.

Last edited:
The real racers are there to race and win, and oh by the way someone showed up to watch.

I don't know that anything would be sponsored if people felt that way.

I understand what you are trying to say, that the driver's mentality is such that winning is what motivates him but to use that line after the crowd comment doesn't make sense. Yes fans care who won, but if secretly the NHRA pulled the winner's names out of a hat and scripted the whole thing just as many people would still show up.

And to leave the ever winding road open, I thought several people on here complained about fillers in some of the TF threads but I seriously wonder what drivers would be out there "to win" if they didn't have sponsor money to back them up?!?

But if you check the history of nearly every racer you'll find they first started racing whether there were no one in the stands or 20 million on live

what athlete in any other sport didn't start like that?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back