Cell Phone Etiquette (Or Lack Of) (1 Viewer)

What drives me crazy are the people on airplanes...the wheels hit the runway and 60 seconds later everyone and their brother are powering up the cell phones...to talk about absolutely nothing!! You mean to tell me you can't wait a few minutes to get into the terminal before you have to yak on that phone! I don't care to hear your conversation!

Paul: That is a classic! You didn't lose a thing...looks go away :)

I'm one of those that powers up as soon as we hit the runway, but I'd rather send text messages in a crowded environment than call people. I just turn it on to check the time and the voicemail. That way I know weither or not to rush out of the plane or let other people rush out and I'll wait.

If I'm being helped by somebody and the phone rings, I usually silence it, I get some grateful looks when that happens.

The ONLY reason I have a cell phone is because work provides it. Nothing upsets me more than the dang thing ringing when I'm on a Real Phone at work and it's someone 30 feet away from me. I don't answer it when I'm driving, and I don't answer it after 5PM.

Nothing is that flippin' important that an answer is needed that second in my life. And I'm not so self-centered as to think my question is the only one that's being asked, or that someone has my answer without doing some research.

sorry for the rant, but it beats the nextel 2ways where the person on the other end rambles on with useless information like they are talking to you face to face.

d'kid

you know those california liberals aren't so bad after all ;)

hands free should be the law everywhere.

I believe I read a story once where statistics had shown that cell phone drivers are as dangerous as drunk drivers.

I'm hoping that the future eliminates anyone form driving and talking on a cellphone. Hands free I can do..if it doesn't impede their progress. Nothing more irritating than someone on a call and doesn't move because of it...grrrr.

I have a scrolling sign in my truck..passenger window..that says "GET OFF THE fu@k!NG PHONE AND DRIVE...PLEASE!!.

It's programmable and just slow enough where they can read it.

I do have a cell phone..never has been off vibrate..and I only have it because I am a caregiver. I help take care of my father-in-law..who lives with us and all..and if need be I can be contacted.

Other than that..pffft..stick it up your buttocks..hehe.

I will admit that I use cell as soon as plane lands because that it how much time it will take for my parents to leave the house to get me at the airport when I visit.

I'm with you Jenn.....I text for short info more than call. Me and my son almost exclusively text when we're not together. It's easier and quicker in general....just shoot a text when you've got a quick thought to share, especially in public. :)

In another vein, I've gotten to where I prefer communicating with co-workers (in other office locations) and customers via e-mail versus on the phone. I'm usually multi-tasking and it's easier for me to get things dones that way. I hardly EVER answer my work phone because I am usually trying to concentrate on a task and don't like to re-focus. If they don't leave a message (gotta love caller ID so I know who it is) I can almost always count on an e-mail just a few seconds later. PLUS work wise....I have a 'paper' trail to CYA!

I will share one diabolical cell phone strategy that I recently came up with and plan to implement in the near future. How many times do you wait in line at the auto parts store, get up to the guy, he asks "May I help you"? When you get half of what you need out of your mouth, the frickin phone rings and you're abandoned with "Hold on. This a much more important customer than you because they've CALLED us, while your stupid a$$ is only physically standing here in our building."

The next time, when I'm about one person away from being next, I'M GOING TO CALL THEM on my cell phone. When one of them answers, I'm going to describe myself and, when they look me in the eye, start tellling them what it is that I want!

I'm with you Jenn.....I text for short info more than call. Me and my son almost exclusively text when we're not together. It's easier and quicker in general....just shoot a text when you've got a quick thought to share, especially in public. :)

If I'm actively driving, I do not text. More than once I've had people go into my lane while either texting or looking for a phone number.

If I'm stopped at a light, then I'll shoot a text, but otherwise, it's speaker phone and a call IF it's necessary. I really hate it when people call me "just to say hey", I know it's probably mean, but if you are going to interupt what I'm doing, please, have a POINT!!!!

I will share one diabolical cell phone strategy that I recently came up with and plan to implement in the near future. How many times do you wait in line at the auto parts store, get up to the guy, he asks "May I help you"? When you get half of what you need out of your mouth, the frickin phone rings and you're abandoned with "Hold on. This a much more important customer than you because they've CALLED us, while your stupid a$$ is only physically standing here in our building."

The next time, when I'm about one person away from being next, I'M GOING TO CALL THEM on my cell phone. When one of them answers, I'm going to describe myself and, when they look me in the eye, start tellling them what it is that I want!

I do that ALL the time. Especially when there is a 'commerical customers' sign and they are over there talking to some 'peon' (it's a joke people! Well, the peon part is!).

Or if they are short handed and you see people in the back talking and yaking like it's a good old time. I've even called, requested to speak to the manager, and kindly suggested that they put more people on the front line.

Here's a couple cell phone games to try, which can be amusing if you're with another person or two; but be warned that also makes it hard not to laugh while you're doing it. This is something you'd expect to see on the TV show "Jackass".

1) If you're in a public place, and some idiot is loudly blabbing on thier cell phone -bluetooth or not - stand near them and quickly grab your phone, hold it up to your ear, and start answering or replying to whatever that person is saying, just as loud as they are. Pretend you're talking to them. The person you're mocking will NEVER catch on - and you'll be entertaining the people you're with.

2) This one is a little more brazen and bold - but if pulled off right in the right setting, it can be extremely entertaining if you're with other people:
Say you're on a plane - just blocked in at the gate, everyone's standing up, waiting for the aisle to clear. Grab your phone, pretend you dialed your spouse.... say "Hi honey, my plane just just landed. Did the Lab call about my TB test results?" Or, "You won't beleive this - the clinic said I AM contageous and I should get home to bed".

Or, in various settings, here's some other good ones....

"Guess what? My rash is getting worse - the left one is all red and itchy"

(Pretend you're calling a pharmacy) "Hi, what do you recommend for Hemmorhoids?"

"I've made up my mind; I can't live like this - I'm turning myself in - I'm going to the police right now."

"No, no, no there's no need for that. I'll pay you 20 thousand in cash today and 80 grand by Friday"

"Well it IS a problem now - because my wife found out about it"

"Everyting's taken care of exactly like we talked about. I assure you they will not find his body"

Last edited:
If I'm actively driving, I do not text. More than once I've had people go into my lane while either texting or looking for a phone number.

Washington State just made it illegal to text while driving & in June or July hands free devices are required. Both will be a secondary offense.Meaning they cannot pull you over for that, but if you are pulled over they can add that to the ticket.

You won't like this, but...women are the absolute worst at this! I drive trucks doing deliveries and not a day goes by that some woman isn't paying attention and cuts me off or tries to drive into the side of the tractor or under my trailer. :rolleyes:

If I'm stopped at a light, then I'll shoot a text, but otherwise, it's speaker phone and a call IF it's necessary. I really hate it when people call me "just to say hey", I know it's probably mean, but if you are going to interupt what I'm doing, please, have a POINT!!!!

"Actively" driving? :eek:

Speaking of, did you get my voicemail thanks a little over a month ago? Assuming your number is still the same?

I do that ALL the time. Especially when there is a 'commerical customers' sign and they are over there talking to some 'peon' (it's a joke people! Well, the peon part is!).

Or if they are short handed and you see people in the back talking and yaking like it's a good old time. I've even called, requested to speak to the manager, and kindly suggested that they put more people on the front line.

Yeah, I got the idea from a little diner in Lawrence, Mass that I frequent. Happy little place where everyone knows each other and the regulars know what table number they are by now. Bunch of retirees with nothing to lose who like to cut up, so one of them calls from his table (probably 15 ft away) just to say "Table four would like some more coffee." :)

Yeah, I got the idea from a little diner in Lawrence, Mass that I frequent. Happy little place where everyone knows each other and the regulars know what table number they are by now. Bunch of retirees with nothing to lose who like to cut up, so one of them calls from his table (probably 15 ft away) just to say "Table four would like some more coffee." :)

Here's a couple cell phone games to try, which can be amusing if you're with another person or two; but be warned that also makes it hard not to laugh while you're doing it. This is something you'd expect to see on the TV show "Jackass".

1) If you're in a public place, and some idiot is loudly blabbing on thier cell phone -bluetooth or not - stand near them and quickly grab your phone, hold it up to your ear, and start answering or replying to whatever that person is saying, just as loud as they are. Pretend you're talking to them. The person you're mocking will NEVER catch on - and you'll be entertaining the people you're with.

2) This one is a little more brazen and bold - but if pulled off right in the right setting, it can be extremely entertaining if you're with other people:
Say you're on a plane - just blocked in at the gate, everyone's standing up, waiting for the aisle to clear. Grab your phone, pretend you dialed your spouse.... say "Hi honey, my plane just just landed. Did the Lab call about my TB test results?" Or, "You won't beleive this - the clinic said I AM contageous and I should get home to bed".

Or, in various settings, here's some other good ones....

"Guess what? My rash is getting worse - the left one is all red and itchy"

(Pretend you're calling a pharmacy) "Hi, what do you recommend for Hemmorhoids?"

"I've made up my mind; I can't live like this - I'm turning myself in - I'm going to the police right now."

"No, no, no there's no need for that. I'll pay you 20 thousand in cash today and 80 grand by Friday"

"Well it IS a problem now - because my wife found out about it"

"Everyting's taken care of exactly like we talked about. I assure you they will not find his body"

Those are good! :D

I now occasionally will tell a complete stranger "You've got a bug on your ear!" and they'll grab for it! :D

A very shallow guy who used to drive for us was something else. Any chance he had to be on his cell phone, he'd hold it way up and make sure to look all around at other people while he was talking. In other words, he's "Mr. Important." LOL.

Driving a truck, I obviously have to use public restrooms all week. How many times people will answer a stupid cell phone while sitting on the toilet? Don't they think the person on the other line hears flushing, not to mention "other" sounds? On top of that, there have been times when one of those guys has his phone set on vibrate (so you don't hear it ring). All of a sudden you've got a guy in the next stall saying "Hello? Howya doin?" :eek:

I wear one of those "bugs" while driving... here you cannot legally be holding a cell phone up to your ear and driving and you cannot text & drive. That's fine with me, it's much safer that way. In spite of the law there are countless CLUEless people attempting to drive while holding their cell phone to their ear. In a place where kids do not actually have to take a driving test to get their license if they had drivers ed it makes it VERY scary at times. They drive like their parents... and worse.

I also use it while working at my desk if I am not on another call because it frees up my hands to work at my computer. Otherwise, I would spend all day answering questions and get nothing done. Where I work a cell phone is pretty much required for managers & above. Everyone else has to be off the production floor to have their cell out or on.

What amazed me is that in a company that encourages smart use and courtesy to others while using their cells we actually had to make a rule in the building about NOT using them in the bathrooms. The very people who would take and complain about calls from customers telling them "I'm at the airport right now waiting for my plane, can I pay my bill next week? *Flush*" couldn't seem to wait 5 minutes to place that call.

Now a real funny... one manager that thought he was all that would frequently be seen walking around with his phone up to his head... he avoided many people by doing this (didn't want his employees asking him questions he didn't know the answers to anyway) ....One day he is two steps from the hall with his phone to his head, talking... and it RINGS. :rolleyes:

Hands free just passed in NJ too. They can pull you over for it - no secondary offense.

I guess I just wonder, what is the difference if you are holding the phone to your ear or have the bluetooth in your ear - you are still distracted by the conversation...

I loved the man I passed yesterday on the road - he was weaving a bit...when I got to where I could pass I looked over - he was trying to drive while holding the cellphone, smoking a cigarette with the map on the steering wheel. I passed him as fast as I could. ;)

I'll confess.....I am addicted to my cell phone. I text ALLL the time. And talk WAY too much. I do have hands free and don't text inless stopped at a stop sign. But I don't have a house phone either. We only have cell phones. My husband has actually called me when I'm on the phone just to ask me a question cause he knows that is easier than sitting in front of me trying to get the answer. :eek::confused::(

"Actively" driving? :eek:

Speaking of, did you get my voicemail thanks a little over a month ago? Assuming your number is still the same?

If my vehicle is in motion, I am "actively driving" if I'm sitting at a stop sign/light/ or stuck in non-moving traffic, I'm inactively driving. :D

Yes I did. Sorry, I never called you back did I? I think you called once when I was alseep, and another time when I was in class.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back