ICE-ing your cell phone could save your life. (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
This has been around before, but well worth circulating again. If your kids have cell phones, this is an excellent idea.... for everyone in the family. Jackee

One of the difficulties long facing emergency services personnel relates to contacting the next of kin of unresponsive victims or those otherwise unable to respond to questions. Even though many of us carry multiple forms of identification on our person, not many of those forms contain information about where and how relatives or other interested parties can be reached in the event that we experience a medical emergency. Often this causes delays as officials try to track loved ones down through ancillary details.

With the prevalent usage of cell phones today, there has been a widespread discussion in the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) community about "ICE", an acronym that stands for 'In Case of Emergency'. The use is similar to a wallet card that tells Police, Fire or EMS personnel who to call if you are unconscious. The difference is that the information is programmed into your cell phone contacts.

HOW DO I USE ICE?

1. Access your phone's address book
2. Enter 'ICE' in as a contact preceding that person's name, (Example: ICE - Dad, ICE John Smith, ICE Jane Doe, etc)
3. Let your contact person(s) know that you have identified them as an emergency contact
4. Ensure your ICE partner has a list of people to contact on your behalf
5. The ICE partner should know about any medical conditions, allergies or current medications that could affect your emergency treatment
6. If you are under 18, the ICE partner should be a parent or guardian authorized to make medical decisions on your behalf.
7. All an emergency worker or hospital staff will have to do is search for ICE to find your contacts.

When inputting your ICE contact's telephone number, think about the number at which he/she is most likely to be reached. A home number could be useless in an emergency if the ICE contact works full time. Also remember, some cell phones have locks that require the entry of a password to unlock the keypad. As such, we strongly suggest that you continue carrying identification cards which medical history, allergies and medications in your walled or purse, especially if you don't carry your cell phone with you all of the time.

References

Safety: ICE on Cellphones: An Acronym for Emergencies - New York Times

ICE Your Cell Phone For Safety, Contact Info Saved In Devices Could Help Owners In Distress - CBS News

USATODAY.com - In case of emergency, put your cell on ICE

Put an "ICE" entry in your cell phone for emergencies-Truth!

'ICE' Cell Phone Plan Would Help Rescuers

Interesting, Ive never heard of this before. I have my phones address book with listings such as Katrina.daughter.CA. Russell.son.AZ Vera.daughter.TN so no matter where I am, theres someone listed easy enough to contact.

I think my method is pretty simple. There shouldn't be much confusion over who Mom and Dad are. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back