IHRA - Nobody Cares (Apparently!) (1 Viewer)

I for one, care! Thanks to IHRA I had the opportunity to tour the country and RACE a Fuel Altered. Yes, Dave is correct, everyone that staged against his car wanted to kick his ass. (Especially me) Yes, even with a 4 car field, you have to win to get into the finals. Try tuning a nostalgia fuel motor and clutch to run a good number with no time trials at tracks most of us had never been to. Try working a full time job and spending every vacation day with 3 other guys in a truck driving across the country. Phoenix to Grand Bend is a long ass way! Why...because we are racers. Yes I take offense to the comments about it not racing. IHRA provided an opportunity for us to experience the big show, and I thank them for it.

33190606.jpg

Innovation? I was watching match races back in the 70's! Your blowing some serious smoke if your telling me the Nitro Jam is more entertaining then the IHRA national events were. Sorry I've seen both, and the current Nitro Jams are a huge step backwards. Innovation my arse!

I remember when IHRA in the late 90s and 2000s was living to it's "nothing but attitude" motto. Even the ads attacking NHRA with the "We've got pro mods, NHRA don't, we've got Nitro Harleys, NHRA Don't," I think they said a couple other things that flexed their muscles and be taken seriously. They still have the "night of fire" guaranteed whereas NHRA "only at select events and if you are lucky otherwise and the sun is still out" even though NHRA has put exhibition vehicles at events (which i hope is a staple in all 2012 events w/wheelstanders and/or jet cars to wrap up friday nights as opposed to select events and the countdown).

Bradenton just went back to IHRA sanction. They used to have IHRA national events there. Apparently they care.

I've been mulling over how to approach this discussion for a couple days. Lots of valid thoughts and opinions flowing here with some people I have a lot of respect for (Jon, Wes, Lance, Virgil, etc).

First, a disclaimer - I'm an announcer for IHRA. Been there during the "traditional days" and during the current Nitro Jam period. Hell, I was on the crew for the last IHRA event at Norwalk (myself, Unk, and Brian Olson).

I can see both sides of this thing, I really can.

During the salad days of the traditional format the nitro fields were filled out with lots of privateers. The Doc Sipple's of the world and guys like that. Given today's economic circumstances, those fields would be decimated. Also, the NHRA's "testing" rules would prevent any crossover of consequence to help fill stuff out. Looking at just the "halo" classes, sticking with that format would have resulted in imminent failure.

The things that made me wince were the loss of Alky Funny Cars, Pro Mods, and far earlier, Nitro Harleys. I'm an idiot with a microphone, I am not privy to the discussions or decision making process so I don't know how that all went down. I think the Harleys were lured into the NHRA fray with a bunch of promises that ended up being empty. The other two classes seem to have have been internal decisions.

I don't think that playing the less attractive little sister to the NHRA is a viable business plan in this marketplace. My personal opinion.

As far as the Nitro Jam format and stuff goes...

I have called several of the events. Each one of them has been wall to wall people. Last year I did Baton Rouge and Grand Bend as that's what my schedule would allow. Both places were packed to the rafters for the length of the event (two days in Louisiana and three days in Canada). We (IHRA people) were treated like royalty. It was pretty wild to be honest. People in Canada actually came up to the tower and asked to hang out with us after the event. I enjoyed a couple LaBatt Blue beers with a throng of fans after we were all done for the weekend and was almost embarrassed by their appreciation of the event. In Louisiana we had the same reception.

I think on some level, it is disrespectful to the racers to call these events somehow illegitimate. Drag racers race. Jay Turner was racing his balls off when he climbed off the back of a nitro harley in Baton Rouge at 160mph...Mike McIntire was racing his balls off when he smashed his funny car into the wall in Canada.

I totally get the opinion regarding the "circus" aspect of these shows and it does not offend me or anything like that. The idea that the guys out there on the track are somehow following a script is not true and is demeaning to them.

I love these events because nearly every one of the racers in both the pro and sportsman categories is face first into their race car between rounds. It is gritty, it is bloody, it is a level of reality that you aren't going to find in a farm of haulers six wide for one super team.

That's my rambling two cents. I'm a heretic regarding drag racing in a lot of ways I guess. The only drag racing that sucks to me is no drag racing. It annoys the hell out of my wife when I sit in the bathroom and scream into a comb, announcing the traffic passing the front of our house. Doing it at a strip in front of a crowd, any crowd, is better for me.

Respectfully,

Brian

I agree with your post 100% Brian, but with regards to Feld Entertainment, Monster Jam is almost as scripted as the WWE. Thats a fact!
So for someone to feel the IHRA shows are handled the same way is not unwarranted.
I don't understand the issue people are having with what the IHRA did? I raced in quite a few IHRA nationals dating back to 1998 and it was always a highlight on my schedule. The racing was fun, but the atmosphere was what was the experience. They actually treated everyone the same! TF/PM or bracket...everyone waited in the same line for credentials, tech and alike. When they lost PFC, PM and PS (decision or not) it started the downward spiral.
The only way IMO they could salvage any type of a pro show was to have a booked in show. I held my breath and comments until I saw the first one and it wasn't anything more than what my local track booked in for a Saturday night.
I think everyone just yearns for that NHRA vs. IHRA battle again.

Last edited:
I wonder if a Monster Jam tie in will be more deeper besides Grave Digger Vs a Jet car. Maybe a monster truck show within the show. It'd be no different than a Thrill show at RP. Get Meents and George Balhan (Mohawk Warrior) and Candace Jolly (Monster Mutt Dalmatian) and Jim Koehler (Avenger), maybe even have Dennis Himself drive the Grave Digger w/Legend and Son Uva Digger driven by his sons. They got Megasaurus too.

Just saying.

When compared to it's Bader Hey Day with awesome Pro Mods by the dozens , Mountain Motored Pro Stocks , and those Crowd Pleasing Nitro Harley's and Friendly Sportsman Racing today's version is lacking !

Maybe under different economic times with a good model like the old IHRA they will be back.
The A/FC cars are disappearing and could use Top Billing and a good home again !
The Pro Mods continue to be a stable in several areas of the country on a monthly basis .
Heck ADRL was founded on the Pro Mod series !

I wonder if a Monster Jam tie in will be more deeper besides Grave Digger

Bet you 99¢ that Grave Digger brings in more new kids and potential drag racing fans than John Force does at places like Tucson, Salt Lake City, Redding, etc.

Everybody knows Grave Digger!

Bet you 99¢ that Grave Digger brings in more new kids and potential drag racing fans than John Force does at places like Tucson, Salt Lake City, Redding, etc.

Everybody knows Grave Digger!

E-Town is the same way with Grave Digger AND Tom Meents for Truck and Driver marketability, now if Dennis Himself was driving GD as opposed to Gary Porter (which I know he has a good history @ RP when he drove Carolina Crusher) more money for Dave Napp! Madusa? Then I'd care about them because a Pro Wrestler is driving a truck!

I really enjoyed the IHRA event held about 2004 or 2005 at Rockingham. Loved their pro mod class, and loved the track at Rockingham as well. I wish the IHRA well, they do what they can do, Ive been to an event at Tucson too, and that was fun too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back