IHRA - Nobody Cares (Apparently!) (1 Viewer)

[/QUOTE]
For the racers involved in this program, It's nice to be welcomed at the gate like they really appreciate you being there. The staff and fans make this venue really work.

Also, even though it's a show, there wasn't one race this year that the car in the other lane didn't want to kick our ass.

Dave Hough
Nanook AA/FA[/QUOTE]

Come on Dave, who are you trying to kid here? You know you cannot be considered an event winner just because you had to win 2 straight rounds without any test runs at an event. Two similar cars lined up side by side getting the green light together and seeing who gets to the other end of the 1320 first. Heck, most don't even consider that racing. And I bet you didn't accept the extra money when you won a round or an event. (This is sarcasm for those that didn't catch on)

And I bet the stands were filled with all the internet junkies, NOT. They just sit at home and wait for the results on the internet, then complain about everything and everyone at the event because they know a better way. The most attended match race I was involved in was a 3 hour Wednesday night SHOW at E-town. The place was packed and there was very little, if any, mention of the event on the internet prior or after.

As some one that grew up with the IHRA here in Rockingham.. its always been my favorite group to follow... When the NHRA came here in the early mid 90's.. i went to Darlington to watch the IHRA events... only came to few NHRA events here..and then becasue i was working for VP Fuels local distributor at the time.... i loved the working class guy image of the IHRA... so when it came back here a several years ago i was as happy as i could be... even more when they added the Nitro FC's....

i believe in true racing.. and when te IHRA went to a Match race format.. i was disgusted... i had seen match races before and was never thrilled by them... just not MY cup of tea... over time and alot of drinking.. (sarcasam).. i just gave up on them and their "PRO" format... the sportsman side is strong and doing well and i have been to several of those events and enjoy them....

i believe the current Nitro Jam format with out the TF cars now is one step cloer to the Monster Jam shows... Just cars with strange names....and some people like them, some dont... i'm one that doesnt....

Wes,
Norwalk "Night Under Fire" and Cordova "World Series of Drag Racing" are great events, we've run them both numerous times. The Baders and Scott Gardner are great promoters and know how to put butts in the seats. But, what if you want to run more than two times a year. We run in the East and Mid-West because good events for us are non-existent on the West Coast (other than Bakersfield).

Also, the perfomance level between the Classic Fuel Altereds runs from 6.0s to 7.20s. The Winged Express and Bradford's Fiat are not going to tow from the West Coast to try and qualify for an event in the East. The only way some fans will get to see the Pure Hell, Winged Express, Rat Trap, Nanook, Pure Heaven, Bradford's Fiat or Nasty Benjamin Fuel Altereds is at events like the Nitro Jams.

Dave Hough
Nanook AA/FA

Wes,
Norwalk "Night Under Fire" and Cordova "World Series of Drag Racing" are great events, we've run them both numerous times. The Baders and Scott Gardner are great promoters and know how to put butts in the seats. But, what if you want to run more than two times a year. We run in the East and Mid-West because good events for us are non-existent on the West Coast (other than Bakersfield).

Also, the perfomance level between the Classic Fuel Altereds runs from 6.0s to 7.20s. The Winged Express and Bradford's Fiat are not going to tow from the West Coast to try and qualify for an event in the East. The only way some fans will get to see the Pure Hell, Winged Express, Rat Trap, Nanook, Pure Heaven, Bradford's Fiat or Nasty Benjamin Fuel Altereds is at events like the Nitro Jams.

Dave Hough
Nanook AA/FA

I've been mulling over how to approach this discussion for a couple days. Lots of valid thoughts and opinions flowing here with some people I have a lot of respect for (Jon, Wes, Lance, Virgil, etc).

First, a disclaimer - I'm an announcer for IHRA. Been there during the "traditional days" and during the current Nitro Jam period. Hell, I was on the crew for the last IHRA event at Norwalk (myself, Unk, and Brian Olson).

I can see both sides of this thing, I really can.

During the salad days of the traditional format the nitro fields were filled out with lots of privateers. The Doc Sipple's of the world and guys like that. Given today's economic circumstances, those fields would be decimated. Also, the NHRA's "testing" rules would prevent any crossover of consequence to help fill stuff out. Looking at just the "halo" classes, sticking with that format would have resulted in imminent failure.

The things that made me wince were the loss of Alky Funny Cars, Pro Mods, and far earlier, Nitro Harleys. I'm an idiot with a microphone, I am not privy to the discussions or decision making process so I don't know how that all went down. I think the Harleys were lured into the NHRA fray with a bunch of promises that ended up being empty. The other two classes seem to have have been internal decisions.

I don't think that playing the less attractive little sister to the NHRA is a viable business plan in this marketplace. My personal opinion.

As far as the Nitro Jam format and stuff goes...

I have called several of the events. Each one of them has been wall to wall people. Last year I did Baton Rouge and Grand Bend as that's what my schedule would allow. Both places were packed to the rafters for the length of the event (two days in Louisiana and three days in Canada). We (IHRA people) were treated like royalty. It was pretty wild to be honest. People in Canada actually came up to the tower and asked to hang out with us after the event. I enjoyed a couple LaBatt Blue beers with a throng of fans after we were all done for the weekend and was almost embarrassed by their appreciation of the event. In Louisiana we had the same reception.

I think on some level, it is disrespectful to the racers to call these events somehow illegitimate. Drag racers race. Jay Turner was racing his balls off when he climbed off the back of a nitro harley in Baton Rouge at 160mph...Mike McIntire was racing his balls off when he smashed his funny car into the wall in Canada.

I totally get the opinion regarding the "circus" aspect of these shows and it does not offend me or anything like that. The idea that the guys out there on the track are somehow following a script is not true and is demeaning to them.

I love these events because nearly every one of the racers in both the pro and sportsman categories is face first into their race car between rounds. It is gritty, it is bloody, it is a level of reality that you aren't going to find in a farm of haulers six wide for one super team.

That's my rambling two cents. I'm a heretic regarding drag racing in a lot of ways I guess. The only drag racing that sucks to me is no drag racing. It annoys the hell out of my wife when I sit in the bathroom and scream into a comb, announcing the traffic passing the front of our house. Doing it at a strip in front of a crowd, any crowd, is better for me.

Respectfully,

Brian

I guess I need to clarify a few things on my take.

Not having real championships and purses for a title is a joke.

Yes I see every team out there trying hard to win every round they run, it is afterall a drag race.
But the reason I have been given for no championship purses is that they are already paying pretty good money every race so they don't need a season championship purse. ( I don't buy that).

Having been around the sport for a ong time, it is hard to wrap myself around the format now. And the spin that gets put on by their media dept. trying to say they are fighting for the win and a title rings true if in fact they is a holey grail at the end of the battle. If they are spinning a yarn on an event (Just go read what is written in any of the three or four feature classes), the least they could do is make is legit by actually qualifying and running real elims.

Virgil states
Compare the NFC purse from an NHRA event to what IHRA is paying them. Maybe then you would understand why so many teams are/have applied to run the IHRA events.

NHRA does not need to pay their NFC cars cause the cars will run there for free... Now my responce is not meant to say the NHRA is smart(Actually I guess they are), cause I think these cars should be paid to run at NHRA events. But the cars run there for exposure not the cash, something many feel they don't get enough of in the "I".
guaranteed money is a great reason why the NFC teams are applying, and good for the IHRA for doing it. But they are now the main class they should be paid well. In the NHRA they would be # 4-7 on the list.
A 30.00 dollar ticket is a good reason why they IHRA track fill their stands, maybe the NHRA should drop the price I feel they should for sure, simply for the "an empty seat does not buy a hot dog reason".
But don't kid yourself, with the exception of maybe two or three IHRA events last year, most of the Sunday crowds were half full stands.

The top fuel class is a classic example of what the IHRA media spins. And this is not meant to dispell the hard work by Bobby Lagana and Bruce Litton, but having a yearly champion crowned with only two cars in the field is so off the wall it is laughable (again no direspect to either competitor, they are their and get paid for doing what they are asked to do). But why has the performance of both of those cars dropped down by well over a tenth or two since the old system was abolished. They run a 4.85-5.10 @ 300 (on a good run) when they used to be well into the 4.60's-4.70's at 315+. Itis because they don't have to run hard anymore. It may well satisify some but...............

The one track that was left out of the mix is Edmonton, easily the most successful track hosting IHRA events over the last decade. So successful that the track owners call the shots on what classes they want and how to run them. NFC had a qualified field this past year and it will be expanded on for 2012. I hear one or two others may be the same (but I don't know that for sure).
Track owner has stated on numerous occasions that they don't need the IHRA brand to be successful at their big event and I tend to agree with him. The track hosts a one day deal in Hot on a wednesday and that five hour show has the same crowd as any one the days for their Nitro Jam.

While I agree that the teams in a few classes run hard, a few have been penalized for running too quick. Ask Chris Bennett (Fuel Altered) what happened after his first couple events.

What is the future of the IHRA. I suspect they will continue to tweak their deals and will make changes based on what they feel is the flavour of the day.

Yes it is still drag racing and yes there is nitro, so maybe it is all good.

I would bet anyone any amount though, that if they signed on a solid title sponsor with decent cash, things would change.... for the better.
Until that happens, don't expect a lot and you won't go away disappointed

Dean

SPEEDZONE MAGAZINE ONLINE

Dean not that it really means anything but we did run in the 4.70s at well over 320 mph this year. For what we got paid I felt those were great runs. Most of the time we were limited to what the track would hold.
Any hows for the main topic here. I really love IHRA, was brought up at those races. I watched my Dad race his heart out for them and many competitors do the same.
I still love the old IHRA we got our first win with them in 2006. We poured our heart and soul with them.
Now we will be limited to trying to compete with the NHRA. Next year will be our first year we pretty much concentrate on our limited NHRA schedule with our great sponsors. Hope holidays are well for all.
Bobby Lagana Jr.

P.S.
Having worked with Larry Crum a bunch. He does a great job!!!!!

Kudos to the Laganas, Litton and esp.... "Ladies First", driven by
Kristen Wooton!!!

John:D

I apologise Bobby, You did in fact run 4.7's at four of the events to start the season.
And I wish you well in 2012.
My point is the fire in real eliminations must be more gratifying in the long run. Yes, the paycheck was likely better for you and bruce under this format, but the fire in the belly can't be the same.

Dean

And where else can a Top Fuel Dragster do a 1/4 mile burnout, back up, and re-fuel on the line, while still running, and building heat... then GO! (Rocky Mountain Raceways 2011) Huh, Bobby!

Last edited:
I was wondering when someone who is paying attention would notice this and comment!!!!

The Press and media issue is a big thing for us media types. Larry Crum does a decent job but the whole platform has a lot to be desired. Most of the releases are smoke and mirrors and spin to try and keep some excitement going. Plus having other media personnel (they know who they are) calling the shots on some issues is so backwoods it is laughable. Not having real championships and purses for a title is a joke. Yes Peter Gallen is their NFC champion and deserves it for sure. But the way they have two guys race in the end of each day, no qualifying, etc, etc it s hard to give it respect.

I am one of the few Media outlets that have even given them any press and I am looking at washing my hands.

As far as Aaron goes, I am sure he does what he is told to do by the owners (be it Feld, Clear Channel or however). The entire Torco deal and subsequent not finding any sponsorship, is the issue. When many of the top pro teams (NHRA, NASCAR, INDY CAR ETC ) and events aren't sponsored the IHRA was forced to what they could to survive. Because of the ownership of the IHRA, the company is a profit based company period. They will not fund a points fund for real championship battles. They made drastic decisions
and for those decisions, they will struggle to get any type or respect or funding. It is too bad, but they will never be the alternate choice they were a decade ago.

But the tracks that host one of their JAM’s will have successful events and will make money.
Fans have to go to their events with a different mindset.

It is not a good situation for real race fans. Especially when you consider how good the NHRA final few events were.

Dean Murdoch

SPEEDZONE MAGAZINE ONLINE

You sure are full of yourself-------------------------:rolleyes:

Honest question here because I really do no know the answer.

What company is worth more, Feld Entertainment or the NHRA?

Can we assume NHRA's value to be +/- 120 million or so from the failed sale from a few years back?

Honest question here because I really do no know the answer.

What company is worth more, Feld Entertainment or the NHRA?

Can we assume NHRA's value to be +/- 120 million or so from the failed sale from a few years back?

FELD/IHRA is actually trying some innovation and bringing entertainment back to drag racing to smaller markets, NHRA management is sucking the life out of drag racing.

How much is NHRA worth? Here's the cover sheet of the 2010 NHRA form 990. More to come!

Actually Darr it has nothing to do with selling photos this year.

But you with your eagle eyes and ears should have known that.

More wrong info from a DRO operative, no surprise.

When was the last time you covered an IHRA event

Dean

FELD/IHRA is actually trying some innovation and bringing entertainment back to drag racing to smaller markets, NHRA management is sucking the life out of drag racing.

How much is NHRA worth? Here's the cover sheet of the 2010 NHRA form 990. More to come!

Innovation? I was watching match races back in the 70's! Your blowing some serious smoke if your telling me the Nitro Jam is more entertaining then the IHRA national events were. Sorry I've seen both, and the current Nitro Jams are a huge step backwards. Innovation my arse!

Less keyboard crewchiefs... More actual racers

More folks actually enjoying sportsman drag racing... Less need to have their world revolve around two classes (and eight sucessful cars) of nitro

Could be why that area has less traffic... They are all in the garage or at the track

Just sayin... ;)

:D

I am glad that IHRA is expanding in the west and southwest, but it needs to be careful before it attaches its sanction to some of the tracks because the people running them and the owners will end up giving IHRA a black eye.

Rick

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back