IHRA - Nobody Cares (Apparently!) (1 Viewer)

Does the NHRA limiting "test" sessions for Nitro cars to include participation in IHRA events and match racing ring any bells here?

Eric wanna bet on your outrageous comment.

Bob as far as the testing issue with NHRA. It would only affect teams that are actually running for points in the NHRA. Other than the top 14 in funny car and top 12 in top fuel, it does not matter to the rest.

If there was a regular Top Fuel class in the IHRA with a real purse and points etc. they would not have a problem getting an 8 car field. The same goes for funny car.

Dean

Dean other than top fuel all the "pro" classes were ran in a chicago style formatt. The fastest two that WON there first round match up for the final to be the "winner" for the night. They did this for both days. Only exception was the break rule or timing problem. This was done for the top fuel cars in edmonton and grand bend where there where 4 cars.

Internet interest is way over rated. NHRA gets the bulk of the interest on this board and how has that translated into event attendance or TV viewership figures?

NHRA put on a tremendous racing series this year, and with 3 pro championships decided during the final event, two in the semi finals of eliminations, they still could not pack the house. Sure it is a bigger house, but it has been packed many times before. Maybe the show is getting stale for true race fans and the general public.

And then we look at the financial side of things, which organization is cutting the work force and giving across the board 10% pay cuts? And which is expanding their work force? NHRA pros are running for the same purses they did 10 years ago. Compare the NFC purse from an NHRA event to what IHRA is paying them. Maybe then you would understand why so many teams are/have applied to run the IHRA events. And is there even an NHRA event for the fuel altereds that get paid by IHRA? And if you are running top dragster or top sportsman, you are paying to race a fast bracket event no matter which organization you run.

And how well are the organizations doing that promote mainly mountain motor pro stock and pro mods? Will they even exist next year?

I learned a long time ago that if I want to have a successful event, meaning a profitable event, I concentrate on the local media outlets and try to ignore the national media.

Internet interest is way over rated. NHRA gets the bulk of the interest on this board and how has that translated into event attendance or TV viewership figures?

NHRA put on a tremendous racing series this year, and with 3 pro championships decided during the final event, two in the semi finals of eliminations, they still could not pack the house. Sure it is a bigger house, but it has been packed many times before. Maybe the show is getting stale for true race fans and the general public.

And then we look at the financial side of things, which organization is cutting the work force and giving across the board 10% pay cuts? And which is expanding their work force? NHRA pros are running for the same purses they did 10 years ago. Compare the NFC purse from an NHRA event to what IHRA is paying them. Maybe then you would understand why so many teams are/have applied to run the IHRA events. And is there even an NHRA event for the fuel altereds that get paid by IHRA? And if you are running top dragster or top sportsman, you are paying to race a fast bracket event no matter which organization you run.

And how well are the organizations doing that promote mainly mountain motor pro stock and pro mods? Will they even exist next year?

I learned a long time ago that if I want to have a successful event, meaning a profitable event, I concentrate on the local media outlets and try to ignore the national media.

Virgil your post is spot on except the very first line. To think internet interest is overrated is naive in the least. The effect the internet has on todays society is overwhelmng.

Dean, there is coming a time when these cars are gonna go too fast for insurance purposes. Think jet cars...

Seems like those that knock IHRA's "show" haven't went to see one in person. I know a few people that made fun of IHRA's show untill they went to one. It's amazing how quick their minds changed.

The IHRA really started going down once Bill Bader got out of it! Norwalk was the IHRA Crown jewel, and losing that to the NHRA was the Nail in the Coffin!

IHRA World Nationals, Nowralk 1998 - My favorite event of all time! Muldowney, Herbert, Johnson Jr, Scotty Cannon, Mark Thomas, Roy Hill & Ritchie Stevens, Jet Dragsters, Bob Motz.. we left the track sometime around 10:00 (after a FULL day of racing) and there was still a massive line of mountain motor pro stocks in the staging lanes.

Not to mention the area above the enclosed area on the north side of the track was still open to those willing to wait out the crowds to get an incredible view of the night time fuelers! And at the time, you could stand about 10 feet from the dragsters going by you over 200mph!

luckyleaf6's Channel - YouTube

Sad I don't think its possible to ever have that experience again.

Seems like those that knock IHRA's "show" haven't went to see one in person. I know a few people that made fun of IHRA's show untill they went to one. It's amazing how quick their minds changed.

Would love to. The nearest event this year was 800miles away from me...

This thread is full of fail. The IHRA section of this forum has NEVER had any posts to speak of, even when they were running under the old sanctioning body.
....................If that doesn't indicate a "sanctioning body" in deep trouble, nothing will, because the people on this board are all about racing, all the time. If ANYONE on here had any interest in anything IHRA there would have been at least SOMETHING new on there in the last three months..........................
Hell, the IHRA section has almost twice the number of posts as the Sportsman Section, does that indicate a "Sportsman Series" in deep trouble?

How about this? For the most part, the ONLY reason that people come to this board are to post about the stars of NHRA Pro classes of racing, period!

As far as the IHRA, yes they did acknowledge that their events are for entertainment purposes, and that's exactly what they are ENTERTAINING. Saying that they are not "REAL" races is exactly like saying match races from the hayday of the sport were not "REAL" races. They are booked in, Chicago Style match races, a full night of Nitro Racing, Nitro Dragsters, Nitro Funny Cars, Fuel Altereds, Nitro Harleys, Jets..................and get this, all for $25.00.

The San Antonio race this year was a complete sell out, I have been going to that track since it opened, never has there been a larger crowd. Someone's laughing all the way to the bank, and it's not the NHRA.;)

Not to mention the area above the enclosed area on the north side of the track was still open to those willing to wait out the crowds to get an incredible view of the night time fuelers! And at the time, you could stand about 10 feet from the dragsters going by you over 200mph!

Sad I don't think its possible to ever have that experience again.

Thanks for those videos. I used to love the Norwalk IHRA events.

The IHRA really started going down once Bill Bader got out of it! Norwalk was the IHRA Crown jewel, and losing that to the NHRA was the Nail in the Coffin!

Who do you think brought Norwalk over to the NHRA after selling the IHRA off to an entertainment company more concerned with profit than racing?:confused:

Eric Boyungs is incorrect about IHRA’s media efforts. Their media guy, Larry Crum, puts out reams of copy, and he’s very good at what he does. He can’t force the media to use what he sends out, but he definitely makes the effort.

There’s no question that someone else’s drag racing cup of team might not be mine, and I readily recognize that what IHRA puts on at their races might have some appeal. But under no circumstances can you make their formatted programs appear to be real racing. That doesn’t make them “wrong” or “bad.” It just isn’t racing in the purest sense.

As to the 1000 feet/quarter mile comparison, I absolutely believe that the quarter mile is critical to drag racing, but it doesn’t appear as if we’re headed back in that direction at any time in the foreseeable future. Bearing that in mind, and meaning no offense to anyone competing, the reality is that their performances would appear pretty mundane if compared to NHRA’s current Top Fuel competitors. This isn’t comparing apples to apples, it’s the proverbial apples to oranges comparison.

One wonders how many other fans took the same stance as Joe Fuchita. They unceremoniously dropped the class he liked, and he was gone. How many others have done the same thing?

Very astute observation by Wes Tarkington. The Nitro Jam BS is nothing more than another version of Feld Entertainment's attempt to capture the monster truck fan base via a different channel. A fan base that does one thing and one thing only: purchase a one-day ticket to a one-day show one time. No fan retention, no brand/sponsor loyalty, no stalker-esque obsession with [insert driver name here], no desire to participate as a racer, no chance of them ever attending a "regular" event at the host track.

Rocky Mountain Raceway is one of the few venues that’s been successful under the IHRA format. Small wonder that IHRA makes sure they’re happy. And Dave Yonemura is correct in that NHRA does sometimes forget to really appreciate the people and facilities that make them successful.

Roger Hammon, I put this thread on the NHRA board because if I’d’ve placed it on the IHRA portion, no one would have read it! With no postings in 90 days, that says something about the popularity or lack thereof of IHRA.

Dean Murdoch is also right in suggesting that IHRA’s releases are a lot of smoke and mirrors. Larry Crum does a good job, but he doesn’t have much to work with.

But Dean, what kind of media influence do you mean by: Plus having other media personnel (they know who they are) calling the shots on some issues is so backwoods it is laughable.

Contrary to what Virgil Hartman wrote, NHRA – which did cut another seven employees in, I believe, late October – gave everyone in the company token salary increases in 2011. The purses are not the same as they were 10 years ago. Winner money, while still paltry, went from $40,000 to $50,000 a couple of years ago. Round money may be the same, but winner money has improved.

But Virgil is right in that NHRA has been unable to fill venues like Pomona. Las Vegas 2 was a huge success, but too many other races took place before a lot of empty seats.

I also believe Virgil is incorrect in his observation on the Internet. Today’s Internet publications are this era’s version of the old on-paper drag racing magazines. And the Internet is delivering larger viewerships to the better sites than any of the on-paper publication enjoyed in their heydays.

Jon Asher

Have any of you guys complaining even attended an IHRA event in the new format? Just because the pro racing is not how you think it should be, does not mean it is not real racing.

As for Mr Ashers point, people do still care about the IHRA, they just got tired of the NHRA nuthuggers on here and many other sites claiming they are not real racing. As for the media, that is strictly IHRA to blame since they very rarely send out press releases from what I have been told and seen.

And for the record, I personally would rather spend my time watching IHRA run 1320' then what NHRA has become.

I have attended the new IHRA format and it's a nice little Saturday night show just like the old match races. Fun but nothing like their national events.

I know the IHRA Nitro Jams aren't for everybody. Having run 8 of the events this year and signed on for 8 events in 2012, it's great for the Classic Fuel Altered group. We don't get too many chances to run in front of 15,000 to 25,000 fans. Unlike the NHRA venues, the IHRA lets us sell our T shirts and memorabila that helps greatly offset travel cost. We had 8 different AA/FAs at this years events and will probably use 10 in 2012. The Nitro Jam shows are designed for a 3 to 4 hour time period, to get the fans with families (small children) out by 10pm. You are all right in the fact that it is a show, but where else can the fans see Dragsters, Funny Cars, Fuel Altereds, Pro Mods, Jets and Wheel Standers all in one evening.

For the racers involved in this program, It's nice to be welcomed at the gate like they really appreciate you being there. The staff and fans make this venue really work.

Also, even though it's a show, there wasn't one race this year that the car in the other lane didn't want to kick our ass.

Dave Hough
Nanook AA/FA

From the standpoint of the talent currently involved with the on-track show I can see the appeal and advantage. Who in their right minds wouldn't want to be the center of attention to a fairly large crowd, sell merch, and reap the benefits of being the entertainment for the evening? Isn't that why any of us leave the obscurity of sportsman classes and move to some form of heads-up racing? But, does that not put said talent in the same Titanic-like vessel that Nitro Jam sails? Maybe I'm too romantic about the sport, but I have always lived and raced under the assumption that we are not just in it for ourselves or to make a quick buck...but for the long-term health and well-being of our chosen (or hereditary) passion.

Let's say for a moment that Nitro Jam was created from scratch instead of the smoldering remains of a once great series. Then, in the eyes of the drag racing populus, it would have been widely accepted as something fresh and new. However, they didn't launch the boat the right way. Calling it a "national" event, having a "points" program, crowning a "champion" in various classes, lacking "fight card" consistency from event to event, and other missteps made it appear more of a three ring circus than anything else. (Did I use enough references to Feld?) Take all those poorly managed changes out of the equation and this conversation would have different tones.

As stated before, the sportsman programs are indeed the happy clown of the company. In fact, the sportsman arm of the IHRA is so vastly different to the Nitro Jam arm that I think sometimes the true genious and value of the grassroots series is not taken seriously enough. If I were still interested in the classes offered at that level there would be no other alternative for me. Like others have mentioned, the events are well run, the staff is friendly, and you don't have that NHRA-arrogance in the air. You have to wonder if there is a true market out there for a sportsman-only sanctioning body that does things like IHRA? Hmmmm.

You guys want to be entertained? Go see the event that is poorly copied in the form of Nitro Jam...or many, many other paltry excuses for a drag racing entertainment event. Night Under Fire. Once you've been in the House of Bader (or the Showplace of Speed as Bob Varsha once termed it) for the now early-August gathering of nitro, fireworks, and personalities, everything else will seem like...well...a poorly organized circus with snakes and sparklers (I only sell snakes and sparklers because they are my favorites.)!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back