If one of the cars is to loud, should they be forced to shut it off? (2 Viewers)

If the reverser goes out on one of the cars, should they be forced to shut it off because it's too dangerous to push them back?

A: Always Push them Back. And what is this reverser thing you speak of? Cars push start down the fire-up road, and the only way to complete the turn around is to push them.

If the PA system has too much Alan Reinhardt should the tower be evacuated to root out the cause?

A: There is no such thing as TOO Much A.R. (Trip-Zip with a dead on)

If the Pro Stock Harley's are too fast should the rest of the field be allowed to run nitro?

A: Run what ya Brung & Hope you Brung Enuff. And Kill the weight breaks, all bikes at same weight per CID

If 4 wide is good why not scrunch them up and run 8 wide.

A: I Like Topless Bars, but I watch only watch One Pair At A Time....

If AlBalooshi loses first round at the next race should Alan Johnson commit himself to a mental facility?

A: Too Late...

If the attendance at the next race is really low why not fill the empty seats with cardboard cutouts of Justin Beeber?

A: In SoCal, would Anyone Notice?

I'm just trying to find the next assinine thread to start here. Must be a problem with the current entitlement educational system or something. Some of the latest threads started here sure make you want to get back to the old days where they actiually did push the cars back, get in fights, etc.

Maybe you could help me come up with some more...

Thanks
(Thumbing at the cornor of Valley View & Chapman)

Last edited:
The original post is a cynical jab at those who don't share the poster's advantage of decades in the sport. I'm sorry he doesn't feel the input of others is worth considering or see that those without his insight are still worth listening to.

That's where you are wrong. Assuming has it's disadvantages.

The original post is to illustrate an attitude that seems to be infiltrating a sport that used to be about overcoming all odds, showing up with the best you've got to beat the other guy no matter what and not the kitty-cat-tation of our sport (to be politically correct). The problem today is the apparent need to be politically correct and nonoffensive (like holding the door open, apologizing for saying a bad word like "crap" or failing to be a perfect gentleman or gentlewoman).

Drag racing spectators are where? I have a theory. In the old match race days the stands were packed. The rivalries were huge. The drivers communicated their intension of ripping the throat out he guy in the other lane out by outdoing his burn-out, oudoing his dry hops, mouthing off to the media about winning the race, and anything else that would allow him to get in the heads of the other drivers and fans. When all that went away, so did the fans.

For example...Here is a grandstands shot from Anaheim Stadium I took a couple of months ago at a monster truck race held within a few weeks of the 2012 Winternatiionals. Anaheim Stadium is about 25 minutes from Pomona. It was cold that night. I am in the upper deck beyond the foul pole. It was SOLD OUT. Why? Because these guys know how to put on a show for their fans, they have huge rivalries, have trashed the political correctness and are out for blood. the fans love it...

AnaheimStadium.jpg

Now we have Force getting fined for going after Pedregon, Greene getting fined for mouthing off to an official, people not wanting you to push a race car back because the reverser broke, a guy pitted next to me at the Las Vegas national event a few weeks ago with a super gas car complaining because I have Tom Petty turned up too loud at 10:00 PM on my trailer sound system while we are servicing Keeter Ray's TA/FC (true story)...and on and on.

And any opportunity they get, ESPN is right there with the cameras running trying their best to make a story out of everything they can find just to spice up a sport that used to be a lot more exciting. A sport called "Drag Racing."

Maybe we need an Ed McMahon type to run things.

Last edited:
Drag racers in general are a gutsy gritty group of type A" personalities. You have to be. It's hard work followed by more hard work only after sending your driver down the track at 250-300+ miles per hour.

All true, and something that many people can forget from the stands. But it's also important to note that nearly every word in the rule book was not only written in the blood of someone who went before but also was greeted with jeers from those who went before. Like most things in life, it's probably a position somewhere in the middle that makes the most sense - and finding that is impossible if people won't even listen to each other.

All true, and something that many people can forget from the stands. But it's also important to note that nearly every word in the rule book was not only written in the blood of someone who went before but also was greeted with jeers from those who went before. Like most things in life, it's probably a position somewhere in the middle that makes the most sense - and finding that is impossible if people won't even listen to each other.

That's the problem with most things in life. A "position somewhere in the middle that makes the most sense" is like a fence sitter. Some day you have to come down. Doesn't work.

That's the problem with most things in life. A "position somewhere in the middle that makes the most sense" is like a fence sitter. Some day you have to come down. Doesn't work.

The middle doesn't mean on the fence. It means compromise, somewhere between the extremes. A lost art these days.

So how many people have to die or get hurt before you think a safety issue is worth discussing? What percentage of today's rule book would you throw out because it's too "wussie"?

ROBERT HIGHT? Smacked Bazemore? Well, I'll be go to hell. Now I can peacefully leave this world behind, knowing I've heard it all. Funny, this was never mentioned in a Wednesday With Whit session.....:D

Yup...happened. Whit was up in Force's face on the top end in 2001? (don't quite remember) and wouldn't get out of the way. Robert nailed him with the body pole. Either him or Force got fined $2000.

That's where you are wrong. Assuming has it's disadvantages.

The original post is to illustrate an attitude that seems to be infiltrating a sport that used to be about overcoming all odds, showing up with the best you've got to beat the other guy no matter what and not the kitty-cat-tation of our sport (to be politically correct). The problem today is the apparent need to be politically correct and nonoffensive (like holding the door open, apologizing for saying a bad word like "crap" or failing to be a perfect gentleman or gentlewoman).

Drag racing spectators are where? I have a theory. In the old match race days the stands were packed. The rivalries were huge. The drivers communicated their intension of ripping the throat out he guy in the other lane out by outdoing his burn-out, oudoing his dry hops, mouthing off to the media about winning the race, and anything else that would allow him to get in the heads of the other drivers and fans. When all that went away, so did the fans.

For example...Here is a grandstands shot from Anaheim Stadium I took a couple of months ago at a monster truck race held within a few weeks of the 2012 Winternatiionals. Anaheim Stadium is about 25 minutes from Pomona. It was cold that night. I am in the upper deck beyond the foul pole. It was SOLD OUT. Why? Because these guys know how to put on a show for their fans, they have huge rivalries, have trashed the political correctness and are out for blood. the fans love it...

AnaheimStadium.jpg

Now we have Force getting fined for going after Pedregon, Greene getting fined for mouthing off to an official, people not wanting you to push a race car back because the reverser broke, a guy pitted next to me at the Las Vegas national event a few weeks ago with a super gas car complaining because I have Tom Petty turned up too loud at 10:00 PM on my trailer sound system while we are servicing Keeter Ray's TA/FC (true story)...and on and on.

And any opportunity they get, ESPN is right there with the cameras running trying their best to make a story out of everything they can find just to spice up a sport that used to be a lot more exciting. A sport called "Drag Racing."

Maybe we need an Ed McMahon type to run things.

RG, as for the MOnster trucks, I think you bet Ticket prices have a lot to do with it!

No disrespect to you or any others on here. ALL of us are fans first. I just saw the humor in Randy's post and gave my opinion as to why some of those type threads get started. I have my opinion and everyone else here has theirs. Thats not a bad thing!

It is all good 'cause we all like the same thing (drag racing)

Thanks for clearing that up. I have much more respect for you now that you explained yourself.

It's funny to read post #11 on page one in this thread by someone who apparently got his feelings hurt, then at the bottom of his post he asks you to visit the Al Hofmann Tribute site:

AL HOFMANN OFFICIAL SITE / TRIBUTE SITE - CHINA SYNDROME RESTORED, MEMORABILIA, PHOTOS, VIDEO, SLIDESHOW, and more!

Evidently this guy didn't know Al Hofmann too well!

Unfortunately I didn't get to know Al very well, as I only had the opportunity to meet with him informally at his house (a million miles from the track) in Florida once before he died. We made it down again after he passed and had a nice lunch with his girlfriend and daughter, both wonderful people.

People hear stories, I've heard stories... but they are what they are... stories. From what I know from meeting him he was a different person from his reputation. I took a picture of him in the back yard of his house and he was all smiles... I asked him, "Come on, Al... your supposed to be a bad-ass" he couldn't stop smiling and in a childish voice said "I don't wanna be a bad-ass".

I also asked him what do most people not know about you? His girlfriend spoke up in the background and said that "He's a sweetheart!"

RG
Come back outside and have another cold one with us, it's not worth your time or brain functions, CW & Co. will never get it.
Better yet I'll map quest a Waffle House and pickup DMac on the way:D

RG
Come back outside and have another cold one with us, it's not worth your time or brain functions, CW & Co. will never get it.
Better yet I'll map quest a Waffle House and pickup DMac on the way:D

I'm coming too, just let me know WHICH Waffle House.......

Unk

I love Waffle House. I have a nicely framed Waffle House menu on the wall of the lunch room at my shop.

Randy, it's like I always said--- why is it that Football Players, Hockey Players, etc, can cuss and beat the **** out of one another for the Tee Vee ratings----------- and then shower up and eat dinner with one another and Drag Racing has to be ****ING polite to sell something for a sponsor ?????

Every other damm thing that sells has lots of drama , violence, guns etc ----------- just look at the rest of the Tee Vee Guide for the week -

Yeah, I agree that the sport has become way too PC.

As far as the dope with the super gas car... play some Metallica or Guns 'N Roses next time. :D

I love Waffle House. I have a nicely framed Waffle House menu on the wall of the lunch room at my shop.

It's a fact.....you haven't lived, nor experienced the diversity of life offered in America until you've been to an Awful Waffle at 3 a.m. to soak up the bar money....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back