Identity theft help needed.... (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
Hello,

I know there are some 'Mater members that have some legal knowledge and I need some advice. I had some issues crop up on my credit report a year or so ago during the process of getting a home loan. In the end, it didn't cost me getting the loan, so I just put it on the back burner. Big mistake.

At the turn of the year, my wife and I went through our budget like we always do and during the process of shopping our insurance around, I found that my insurance rating is now a 90! I have only 1 speeding ticket in my life, no wrecks or any other moving violations, so my rating should be something like 15-20. Upon further review, the same name/alias that showed up a year ago on a credit report was tied to this insurance rating. Furthermore, I re-visited my credit report this past week and found that the amounts have almost quadrupled since that report a year ago.

What is the best route to get this under control? Plus, if and when I can track this clown down, what legel rights do I have against him, or in other words, how rough can I make his life in return? I know that sounds bad, but this guy is in the process of screwing up my universe and I want to crush him to the fullest extent of the law, whatever that may be.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone may have. Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Sean D

I don't know about what steps you can take legally, I am not a lawyer. But I would suggest that you first dispute the incorrect information both with the creditors listed and the credit bureaus. I would also check all three major credit reports; Experian, TransUnion & Equifax. SInce there is fraud involved, they should provide the reports free. They print a contact phone number on the credit reports that is different from the number you originally call to get them. Use it to talk to a live person about what you are disputing but always remember to follow up with a letter. They should also be able to offer you an option similar to freezing any release of your information. If you want it released you would have to answer a specific set of personal questions to validate.

Anytime you have a problem like this, as you now know, you need to take steps immediately to prevent it from growing. Waiting never makes it better.

If memory serves correctly you are also able to place in your credit report a statement of what is/was happening.

This goes for everyone: You are entitled to your credit report FREE once a year at Annual Credit Report.com
That gives you access to the 3 credit reporting companies. Becareful as there are other sites out there that require you to join their program and give a credit card for payment to get your "free" report.

Thank you, everyone for your responses.

I've been getting copies of credit reports, and what it bizarre is that it only appears to be getting reported on Experion and not the other two. What is even more bizarre is when I've called some of the collection agencies that are reporting some of this stuff, they can't find a thing under my name, SSN, the amount their reporting, or anything. So I guess the next step is to contact the creditors themselves who tured the accounts over to collections to start with. What scares me even more is that when I originally saw some of this wierd stuff show up a year ago, I put a fraud alert on my SSN through the Social Security office, but it still has managed to almost quadruple. Couple that with what he's done to my insurance rating, and I'm just pissed beyond any mental control I ever had and if I'm fortunate enough to find him, I'm going to make things as bad as I can for him. Like I said before, I don't know anything about my legal rights when it comes to this situation, but I hope I can put the ******* in jail.

Thanks again, everyone for the information and links. Not only will I be using them, but I will keep you posted if I'm able to make some headway.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back