Bad Credit/Identity Theft Opinion Wanted (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
I've had an issue with 2 of the 3 credit scores for some time now, but I've finally gotten pissed off enough that I'm going to do whatever I can to rectify it.

I just spent an hour getting all the details of the reports from the three agencies. The one that is the highest is pretty much accurate and I have no disputes. The two others are around 100 points lower, but there are many things listed on them that have nothing to do with me, no way, no how. The name attached to these red flag accounts has my first name, but different middle and last names, so I don't know if they're finding their way onto my credit report because he used my social security number or what. I got another bill in the mail today from a collection agency in this guy's name, so I got fired up and started digging and I actually think I located the guy on facebook. I'm not dead sure, but there was enough information on what I could view without actually "friending" him that lead me to believe he could be tied into this somehow.

Bottom line, has anyone ever had issues like this? If so, what's my best method of attack? I've called a few of the accounts in the past but never really got anywhere. In fact, they couldn't even find record of the debts and that was really frustrating. What do I do? If I can't make phone calls to these agencies that now carry the debt and get the information I need, then who can? Also, If I'm able to track down information that exposes that the individual whose past-due debts are screwing up my credit actually utilized my social security number, do I have legal grounds to sue? I realize that if the debts are straightened out I don't have to pay anything, but these issues have resulted in me having to pay a higher percentage on loans up 'till now. I would think that if I was able to straighten this out, the loan(s) I've taken out during this time frame could be reviewed to see how much more interest this has cost me and I could subsequently go after that. Hell, now I've found out that it influences getting auto insurance. I have a great driving record and what I call good insurance rates, but I can't even shop around because of this.

Any advice?

Sean D

My state Attorney General's office has always been helpful, if for nothing more than some direction.
Sorry to hear about this, and I hope you get it resolved soon.

Credit reporting agencies have mechanisms to dispute inaccurate information, usually via their website. There is normally a small fee to view your report and score on their website, which I understand is galling since you are paying them to fix their errors, but in the big picture, it is a VERY small price to pay for getting your credit score where it should be.

As for legal recourse, sure you could sue, but good luck collecting the judgement. A better recourse would be using the State Attorney General to report this individual, let them investigate and maybe he will get his arse thrown in jail, or have to pay a fine of some sort. After all, it is fraud and fraud is a crime.

Thanks for the information, guys, I appreciate it.

And as for the recouping, Chris, I totally agree. I was just pissed when I wrote the original post! LOL!! :D

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back