Advance Auto Parts consumer credit compromised (1 Viewer)

Butch

Nitro Member
From my local paper. Canton Repository

The Advance Auto Parts store in Canal Fulton is one of 14 from which consumer credit information may have been taken.

The automotive aftermarket retailer of parts, accessories and maintenance items said Monday that 14 of its 3,261 stores were victims of "a network intrusion," and that the financial information of up to 56,000 customers may have been compromised.

The company has notified its credit, debit and check processors, and also has started sending letters directly to the affected customers it has been able to identify. Customers who purchased products in the 14 stores but don't receive a letter can call 1-800-704-1154 to see if they have been affected.

The company has arranged to help customers who made purchases in the 14 stores protect their identity and credit information by offering affected customers credit monitoring at no cost for one year. That will allow affected customers to monitor their financial information from all three national credit reporting agencies.

Roanoke, Va.-based Advance is working with law-enforcement officials on a criminal investigation, and the company said it believes the incident has been contained.

It also has partnered with a third-party security expert to assist in the investigation.

"Safeguarding our customers' confidential financial information is extremely important to Advance Auto Parts, and we take this responsibility very seriously," President and CEO Darren Jackson said in a statement.

Advance has information on its Web site at Advance Auto Parts - quality auto parts and accessories for potentially affected customers to review. The special toll-free number will be staffed every day from 8 a.m. until midnight through May 31.

The other 13 stores were in: Columbus and Mansfield; Atlanta, Norcross, Garden City and College Park, Ga.; Covington and Gretna, La.; Memphis, Tenn.; Natchez, Miss.; Paoli, Ind.; Richmond, Va.; and, Syracuse, N.Y.

I found suspicious charges today on my VISA debit card and contacted Bank of America to learn they had already suspended my account from questionable activities. Some slime ball rang up a bill using my information. I told BofA that I would give them $1000. if they would provide me the detailed information about this offender but they respectfully declined. Seems like nothing is safe anymore. I believe I am going to look a little closer at this "Life Lock" program. Sounds interesting to me! I hope they catch the perps promptly and accidentally publish their names and contact information publicly.

Green Stamps werk best.

weird is the kids using a debt card to buy a $2.00 soda at the bowling center. You'd be surprised how much that SLOWS down how long a transaction takes.

d'kid
people can't jack your account if you use CASH.

that life lock ad is after your money--you can DIY cheaper that going through them.
saw a segment on GMA about DIY your credit.
IF you want to buy something on credit it will cost I believe $15-$20 to unlock. Same to lock your account.

Doc, as you know, I work on the back side of this stuff fighting the guys that will use your info at the banks and top merchants... You can do LifeLock, but I agree, you can do it yourself. There is a convenience factor involved though... That is all you are paying for with LifeLock.

Of course the Repository failed to report this IMPORTANT piece of the story...

The Roanoke, Va., company says the customers shopped at 14 specific stores between December 2001 and December 2004.

LOL I'd say they are locking the door after the race car is stolen. I would think if your credit was compromised from that store you would know by now.

I told BofA that I would give them $1000. if they would provide me the detailed information about this offender but they respectfully declined.
As well they should have, and you should never had offered that. They ate the costs, not you. Vigilantism never settles monetary debts.

As well they should have, and you should never had offered that. They ate the costs, not you. Vigilantism never settles monetary debts.

That's right. Bobby needs to learn more about going along and getting along, huh? :D

(I don't know but, it looks to me like.......)

Yeah, we wouldn't want to see roaches who hide in the shadows being exposed.

Last edited:
Who said anything about monetary debts? I was talking about identity theft. I feel sorry for you Greg. Have you never told or been told a joke? Did you miss that chapter in life? It's a shame, because it really makes life more interesting and palatable. Taking life too seriously day in and day out makes Greg a very dull boy! Again!

Vigilantism. The more I think of that word, the more I'm reminded of someone who once said something like hoping that a certain area gets "blasted beyond belief" in an upcoming hurricane season because of the way they voted in an election? (edit. NOTHING vicious or personal about that! :D ) Yeah, this is the guy you want to go to when you want morals lessons, Bobby. :D

Memory cells that work. Ain't that a b*tch?

Last edited:
Who said anything about monetary debts? I was talking about identity theft. I feel sorry for you Greg. Have you never told or been told a joke? Did you miss that chapter in life? It's a shame, because it really makes life more interesting and palatable. Taking life too seriously day in and day out makes Greg a very dull boy! Again!

Hey Paul. The next time you see Greg Moon wrongfully accuse another member of vigilantism (Not that he could come back and apologize when it's EXPLAINED to him how he's wrong. He has a LONG track record of NOT doing that after personally attacking other members here.), why don't you post a warning similar to the one you did on the other thread? Could you do that? Maybe it would have ended here instead of bleeding over.

If the guy can work his fingers to jump to conclusions and make the personal accusations here that he has before, he can work the same fingers and type an apology when it's explained to him where he's wrong.

I believe you and I have been around and around before on the topics of contradiction and bias. You don't call some people on something while turning a blind eye to others. We need fair moderators.

Last edited:
Hey Paul. The next time you see Greg Moon wrongfully accuse another member of vigilantism (Not that he could come back and apologize when it's EXPLAINED to him how he's wrong. He has a LONG track record of NOT doing that after personally attacking other members here.), why don't you post a warning similar to the one you did on the other thread? Could you do that? Maybe it would have ended here instead of bleeding over.

If the guy can work his fingers to jump to conclusions and make the personal accusations here that he has before, he can work the same fingers and type an apology when it's explained to him where he's wrong.

I believe you and I have been around and around before on the topics of contradiction and bias. You don't call some people on something while turning a blind eye to others. We need fair moderators.

Hey Ron, why don't you stick with worrying about driving a truck and I will deal with moderating this site. If you must know, I don't read every single thread and post and I didn't see this. Why don't all you guys lay off of each other? If everyone acted civilized there wouldn't be an issue with what you think as turning a "blind eye". Myself and the other moderators do the best job we can and if you think that is not fair, I do not know what to tell you other then go elsewhere.

Hey Ron, why don't you stick with worrying about driving a truck and I will deal with moderating this site. If you must know, I don't read every single thread and post and I didn't see this. Why don't all you guys lay off of each other? If everyone acted civilized there wouldn't be an issue with what you think as turning a "blind eye". Myself and the other moderators do the best job we can and if you think that is not fair, I do not know what to tell you other then go elsewhere.

If you see me weaving all over the road in my truck, I'll just tell you to worry about your moderating? What kind of statement is that? Can you be more ridiculous?

Greg said that to Bobby three days ago. If you say you didn't see it, I believe you because, I publicly assume the best in people until they give me reason to believe otherwise. That's the only fair way to be.

"Why don't ALL you guys lay off of each other?" Did Bobby go after Greg or did Greg go after Bobby? What do you expect? Bobby to say nothing when something like that's said about him?

When Greg says something THREE DAYS ago in the NHRA section and nothing's said, then you basically say that people should keep their getting personal with each other in the POLITICS ROOM when something's said about him? That's bullsh*t. What is that? The toilet/dumping ground of the board? Maybe there needs to be a "personal" room for when a thread goes in that direction. I suppose there already is and it's called "Delete."

Like I said, I was open to trying to turn things in a positive direction with the guy. Screw that. He's been in a predictable cycle of personally attacking people here, it gets worse to the point that he leaves for a few months, comes back like nothing happened, and starts the cycle all over again.

Maybe I'm wrong but, I suspect that the owner of this board would rather see a moderator replaced than members leaving? If a business tells me something like that, I make sure that's what the owner thinks.

Myself and the other moderators do the best job we can and if you think that is not fair, I do not know what to tell you other then go elsewhere.

I'm assuming that what you mean by that is, if you HAD seen Greg saying to Bobby what he did, you would have told HIM to keep it in the politics room? If that's what you would have said and didn't just because you missed it, fine.

If some people are going to be called on while others are ignored for doing the same thing then, yes, I need to be somewhere else.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that what you mean by that is, if you HAD seen Greg saying to Bobby what he did, you would have told HIM to keep it in the politics room? If that's what you would have said and didn't just because you missed it, fine.

Correct...... We try to keep the NHRA/IHRA part of the board on topic about drag racing.

Correct...... We try to keep the NHRA/IHRA part of the board on topic about drag racing.

It's obvious that this thread should have never been started in the NHRA section and should never have been left there.

If someone DOES personally attack another member by questioning their intentions, then says nothing when they're corrected on it, I'd just rather see something better than

Why don't all you guys lay off of each other?

If you hadn't seen this thread, you didn't know it was there. After what's gone on here for years, yes, I was shocked to see a knowledgeable drag racing related post from the person. I brought myself to pay a compliment and we saw what happened.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back