Stay away from Freecreditreport.com (1 Viewer)

Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
I was just googling to find the name of the old lady in the commercials. Wow. Looks like catchy commercials but, a company that takes advantage of fine print.

CIC Triple Advantage Complaints - freecreditreport.com scam

cic triple advantage - Google Search

This was definately a result of signing up for a free credit report.

"On January 8, 2007 Consumerinfo.com entered into a Stipulated Judgment and agreed to an Order for Permanent Injunction to settle charges that the company's "free credit report" offer failed to explicitly disclose that subscribers would be automatically signed up into a paid credit-monitoring program.

...The FTC charged that ConsumerInfo.com had engaged in deceptive marketing practices through requiring credit card information for consumers to purchase their "free credit report," then billing them $79.95 annually unless they opted out within 30 days."

Last edited:
There practice hasn't changed, I recently tried this company and did an annual credit check on my wife and I found a $189 charge on our debit card. I immediately contacted Visa and it was removed. I found if you contact Visa, M/C or others and file a direct complaint that if enough are filed they will lose their charge privilege. So if this happens to anyone make sure you go to card maker and complain.

I know I don't give my credit card/checking account info to ANY company for "identification verification" purposes.

Most of us sign long licensing agreements that we could never completely understand, much less have the time to read. Unfortunately, I guess a company that takes advantage of that is going to make millions before word gets out.

I guess they have to pay for those obnoxious, incessant, jingle-filled advertisements somehow :D

This follows a rule I'm starting to adhere to more and more: the more a company advertises, the less good of a deal they can provide. That advertising money comes from the customer, after all. The Shakespearean "me thinks she doth protest too much" truism.

It gets proven time and again. Capital One credit cards are one of the worst deals out there. My insurance guy can beat Geico insurance with any number of companies. In our local car market, the big advertiser is the sleeziest one out there. Even the "gold kit.com" people are a huge ripoff, there was a comparison on TV a couple of weeks ago and they were the worst price by at least 50% -- small local companies always beat them.

Did you say credit cards? :D

YouTube - The Tennessee Credit Card Massacre

My girlfriend filed bankruptcy not long ago and is now going through the Dave Ramsey stuff. We came up with pieces that could be worked into a jingle. Stuff like "Morris! Drop down and give me one hundred! (to put in your emergency fund!) What do we want? More money! How do we get it? Don't finance! Save, save, save, save...SAVE SAVE!" :D

You gotta love this one. I like the kid putting the bill back in the mailbox and closing the door!

YouTube - We're Debt FREE!!!!

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are always scumbag companies that try to take advantage by masking or making a similar name to the legitimate one you actually need. This is the website to use Annualcreditreport.com as per the Federal Trade Commissions site The Federal Trade Commission's Information on Free Annual Credit Reports

Reminds me of the prepaid legal services which operate in many of the truckstops. When they solicit me, they get a little p*ssed when I say out loud that I can call the Bar Association office nearest where I got a ticket and they'll refer three attorneys to me who handle tickets for free. If you're not happy with those three, call back and they'll give you three more names.

Reminds me of the prepaid legal services which operate in many of the truckstops. When they solicit me, they get a little p*ssed when I say out loud that I can call the Bar Association office nearest where I got a ticket and they'll refer three attorneys to me who handle tickets for free. If you're not happy with those three, call back and they'll give you three more names.

I didnt know that!!
Thanks Ron, I will keep that in mind the next time I get a ticket, providing I have reason to dispute it, that is!!

I guess they have to pay for those obnoxious, incessant, jingle-filled advertisements somehow :D

This follows a rule I'm starting to adhere to more and more: the more a company advertises, the less good of a deal they can provide. That advertising money comes from the customer, after all. The Shakespearean "me thinks she doth protest too much" truism.

It gets proven time and again. Capital One credit cards are one of the worst deals out there. My insurance guy can beat Geico insurance with any number of companies. In our local car market, the big advertiser is the sleeziest one out there. Even the "gold kit.com" people are a huge ripoff, there was a comparison on TV a couple of weeks ago and they were the worst price by at least 50% -- small local companies always beat them.

I agree Christopher. I tend to follow the same philosophy about a company's advertising. For example, there is a local car dealer in MSP that does a ton of advertising on TV and radio but if I'm looking to buy a new car, you can bet I won't go there. I found a similar situation like the one you described regarding car insurance. We have all our insurance purchased thru an independent who shopped around and found the best deal for us and it happens to be thru AAA. We have homeowners and car insurance with them and they smoked Geico, Progressive, et al. I never even knew AAA offered insurance, pretty much I guess because their advertising amount is minimal, if at all.

I didnt know that!!
Thanks Ron, I will keep that in mind the next time I get a ticket, providing I have reason to dispute it, that is!!

Just call information and ask for the Bar Association in the nearest major city to where you got the ticket. When you get the ticket, do NOT let the cop know you intend to do this, especially if it's on the interstate. Even ask "Is this where I mail my payment to?"

A lot of cops don't even show up for court if they don't think anyone else will. When your attorney shows up for you and the state's witness isn't there, they'll throw it out. That attorney may be going that day anyways and not charge you much. What you pay the attorney may amount to less than what your insurance rates will go up by over time if you just plead guilty.

Even if the cop does show up, the attorney can often plead it down to a non moving violation. They still get some money, you get out of points and insurance costs. I've had it knocked down to inoperative tail light when there was nothing wrong with my tail light! The fine for that tail light "just happened" to be the same amount of money the speeding ticket was going to cost me! :D (Texas)

I did this myself when I got a ticket 20 miles from my hometown. The judge wanted to postpone it because the cop wasn't there and I made an issue about the fact that I was there for my court date, that I took the trouble to be there and that I would appreciate a verdict on my case now. He threw it out. He wouldn't have if I hadn't pushed it.

Here's a pre paid legal story. I bought it about 20 years ago when they first came out. Cost me $365 to get their best plan. Unlimited ticket coverage for a year! (for a guy in his early 20s?) I had the best police scanner, radar detector, and jacked up C.B. radio that money could buy and operated on volume, driving 5,000 miles in many weeks. 1,500 in 24 hours was my personal record. Had a log book for each side of the country. If a cop made it past the three things above (Usually sneaking out into the median when nobody saw him get on the highway), I'd have the lawyer waiting in court.

Like I said, they usually don't even show up. I figured out the first time what not to say because the cop made a point of showing up when I mentioned lawyer (and the judge STILL knocked it down! LOL). Bottom line is Pre Paid Legal out of Ada, OK had to pay lawyers to show on my behalf EIGHTEEN times in 12 months! Only one of them from Oregon made it to my record. I then got a letter from Pre Paid Legal letting me know that they decided to exercise their option to not renew my policy! That's when I learned how to do it myself. I have a collection of citations, in alphabetical order, from over half the states in the country. :)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back