I Love a True Story (2 Viewers)

I was at the Marco inn1969? Freddy was in the parking lot with a truck that he rented to change the rear end into his carrier that had gone bad LOL

its a good thing this guy wasn't a sore loser, on the drag strip or who knows how things would have been. apparently he just enjoyed the atmosphere and participating and just being one of the guys. thank goodness for that!

In 1965 I was doing apprentice work for Wayne Ewing the body man who started the Chute Pack bodies (Greer Black Prudhome) for Tom Greer and others and he also built a few whole cars. He got a call from a guy in Philadelphia named Joe Nocentino who wanted a car built for his son Joe. Wayne was probably the most talented chassis & body man there was at that time, but he was notoriously slow. After about 8 months the car wasn't finished (about 1/2) and Joe Sr. said he wanted his car that he had advanced the money for. One day a Lincoln from Pennsylvania pulled up and two guys in suits and hats get out and asked "You Wayne Ewinn"? We're here for Joey's Cahh". Wayne says it's not quite ready and "Vinnie" says we'll wait. They showed up at his house every morning at seven with breakfast - took him to the shop - went for lunch and dinner so we didn't have to stop, then took him home about nine. When the car was a finished roller they took it apart put the body and parts in the back of the Lincoln and strapped the chassis on top. Before they left "Vinnie" stuffed two $100.00 bills in his work apron and said Mr. Nocentino says thanks. We found out later that Joey's (Cahh) dragster was the Nocentino & Van (George Van) car and his dad Joe was a Boss in the Bonnano family.

Last edited:
His restored funny car was displayed at a n indoor car show in Naugatuck Ct last winter. Heard the story from someone very familiar with him. All I could do is listen and say, wow!

Nocentino & Van

NocentinoAndKulp1_.jpg
NocentinoAndKulp2_.jpg

You want to hear a Freddy DeName story? Here ya go: During my tenure at Englishtown I got to know Freddy pretty good, I was aware who he was and what he did but to me he was just another racer. One of Freddy's "Hobbies" was stealing cars, specializing in VW Bugs. My sister blew the engine in her VW convertible and I asked Freddy if he had a spare engine laying around, told me he'd get back to me. He called me a few days later and said he had what I needed. At the time I lived in a town that was right on the Jersey Central commuter train line to NYC, he told me to meet his guy in the parking lot at the train station so I grabbed a buddy with a pick-up to meet the guy and get the engine. We're sitting in the truck waiting and a guy pulls up in an almost new VW, he says are you Berserko Bob? I say yeah so he parked the VW, handed me the keys and said here ya go, just destroy the license plates, Freddy gave me the whole car! The guy hops on a train back to NYC and I made the short drive home and parked it in my garage. With the help of a few friends we yanked the engine out of the car and I sold the carcass to a friend's junkyard who knew what the deal was he parted out the car for parts and made the chassis into a sand buggy. My sister was back on the road two days later thanks to Freddy.

There's a million Freddy stories and they're all true, ah the 70s...

This is not the car that I am talking about - Same team, but this is an earlier car. Waynes cars had a longer springbase than the wheel base (162" spring base - 155" wheel base) by a space frame and trailing torsion arms. No radius rods - instead a parallelagram with the torsion arms on the bottom. Also body similar to GBP car. The injector scoop was also one of the 5 that were made, similar but not exactly the same as the GBP scoop. Everything was hand crafted aluminum - NO fiberglass.

You want to hear a Freddy DeName story? Here ya go: During my tenure at Englishtown I got to know Freddy pretty good, I was aware who he was and what he did but to me he was just another racer. One of Freddy's "Hobbies" was stealing cars, specializing in VW Bugs. My sister blew the engine in her VW convertible and I asked Freddy if he had a spare engine laying around, told me he'd get back to me. He called me a few days later and said he had what I needed. At the time I lived in a town that was right on the Jersey Central commuter train line to NYC, he told me to meet his guy in the parking lot at the train station so I grabbed a buddy with a pick-up to meet the guy and get the engine. We're sitting in the truck waiting and a guy pulls up in an almost new VW, he says are you Berserko Bob? I say yeah so he parked the VW, handed me the keys and said here ya go, just destroy the license plates, Freddy gave me the whole car! The guy hops on a train back to NYC and I made the short drive home and parked it in my garage. With the help of a few friends we yanked the engine out of the car and I sold the carcass to a friend's junkyard who knew what the deal was he parted out the car for parts and made the chassis into a sand buggy. My sister was back on the road two days later thanks to Freddy.

There's a million Freddy stories and they're all true, ah the 70s...

Why am I not surprised that you have a personal story or two? LoL
I have heard a few and read many more, and believe every one of them, simply because the ones I can verify make me believe the rest......

Drag Racing was full of characters, and still is. Maybe not quite as outlandish today, but we still have our characters.

Alan

Freddy was also suspected in the theft of Al Hanna's Eastern Raider out of a hotel parking lot during the Summernationals one year. I know for a fact that he robbed a tire warehouse and was selling brand new tires cheap. I bought two sets from him for $10 a tire. If he was alive today he'd be selling toilet paper & hand sanitizer.

Murder Machine
by Gene Mustain and Jerry Capeci

Alan
Thanks for the information on the book Alan. Just read it and it was one of those that you cannot put down. Someone here mentioned that you wouldn't want to cross Freddie. But after reading the book I'd say you wouldn't want to cross Roy DeMeo. So good I just ordered another by the same authors, Gotti: Rise and Fall.

Thanks for the information on the book Alan. Just read it and it was one of those that you cannot put down. Someone here mentioned that you wouldn't want to cross Freddie. But after reading the book I'd say you wouldn't want to cross Roy DeMeo. So good I just ordered another by the same authors, Gotti: Rise and Fall.

i just happen to finish reading it also and i think the best career move Don Schumacher ever made was to 'let it go' when he found out who stole his car and truck ! Freddie Dinome/Dename was a crimnal, however he was one of the 'nicer' guys in that crew ! WoW !!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back