Anyone think this would be a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
One safety issue for drivers of cars with an electric fuel pump (S/G, S/C, Comp, Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, Pro Stock, etc.) is the concern over fires being fed after a crash by electric fuel pumps pumping fuel through damaged fuel lines allowing gas to spray everywhere and burn. In the article in the link below I watched their video and things got ugly in a hurry. I just read the NHRA Rule Book and didn't see anything in it about this potential issue.

Here's the article and video.

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...as-crash-2004/

Does anyone run something like this, just in case? I'm going to put something like this in my Charlie Stewart car.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...BoC3ucQAvD_BwE

1517969372529.png

Awesome idea, thank you. Definitely will try one on my car. May not work in every situation where a fuel line is ruptured, but no reason not to have one if they don't false trigger.

Along the same lines, my brother does water wells and they use a pump saver that detects the change in motor current if a pressure line ruptures or the well goes dry and shuts the pump motor off. Of course with a big pump at idle (throttle closed) it could be a pretty big leak and the pump would still make enough pressure to keep up. Things to think about.......

I meant when EFI is added to an older car, like my 72 Polara with a Magnum 360 by Hughes....the car still has it's original fuel tank

Awesome idea, thank you. Definitely will try one on my car. May not work in every situation where a fuel line is ruptured, but no reason not to have one if they don't false trigger.

Along the same lines, my brother does water wells and they use a pump saver that detects the change in motor current if a pressure line ruptures or the well goes dry and shuts the pump motor off. Of course with a big pump at idle (throttle closed) it could be a pretty big leak and the pump would still make enough pressure to keep up. Things to think about.......

This is what I was thinking about, when fuel pressure falls to XX pressure from free flow it shuts off. I think that would be better than a G activated. The one listed, 10-12 G's is one hell of a hit, and if the line breaks/leaks without a crash it not going to work.
I know someone smarter than me figured all the possibilities in picking where it activates so I am not knocking the product,just thinking out loud

Safety for the drivers. I know you thought about that a lot Randy, especially with the alky car. Gives you a good perspective when looking at T/S. The one thing I HATE to see is a crash or fire. Lord keep the driver safe.

This is what I was thinking about, when fuel pressure falls to XX pressure from free flow it shuts off. I think that would be better than a G activated. The one listed, 10-12 G's is one hell of a hit, and if the line breaks/leaks without a crash it not going to work.
I know someone smarter than me figured all the possibilities in picking where it activates so I am not knocking the product,just thinking out loud

Right now there is anything in place. 10-12 gs wouldn't be much of a hit on a wall. Both might be worth considering.

Since all cars have to have some kind of kill (OH SHIT) switch. A fast acting normally closed solenoid valve at the outlet of the pump would be my recommendation. When you hit the button, everything is off. The same (similar) would be effective for nitrous systems (tank outlet) as well. If you break a feed line to your solenoid you can kill the tank. I know guys don't like safety rules and expense but geez, how much is your car, let alone your life, worth?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back