Hyland racing? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Does anybody from the Oregon/Washington area know if any of the Hylands race anymore? I remember when both Tiffany, Shawn and Dad John all raced back in the 90's.

Yep, they were sponsored by Pyroil. The kids both drove and I think Shaun won his Wally first, then Tiffani (Winters?) or maybe it was the other way around. Hyland Const. was/is a big business in Springfield, Oregon just outside of Eugene. Tiffani was pretty cool, used to talk with her a lot when the Pomona races rolled around.

I know the family fairly well since they live in my neck of the woods. They are very nice people and I worked with them on a safety program I was promoting at the time.

The Hyland family got interested in racing by initially racing a 55 chevy and the popular "Furious Rat" Ford at a nostalgia race in Woodburn. They expanded to a roadster and then eventually a funny car.

After the kids were old enough, they raced matching super comp cars before going to the alcohol classes where they had great success. Tiffani won the Arizona race and Shawn won the race in Brainard. Both were driving cars sponsored by Ashland Oil. The Pyroil deal eventually went away and the "kids" got married and got involved in other interests. But their father John continued to race the funny car.

He won the Winternationals and raced for several seasons but without the family's strong involvement. After a while he decided to quit racing the funny car since the rest of the famly weren't as involved as they once were. Also around that time his wife Tammy had a kidney transplant and it was Tiffani who donated the kidney.

After ending his funny car program, John went full circle by converting his funny car into a top comp car and raced it locally, off and on for a couple more seasons before calling it quits. I hope some day they will return to the sport but if they do it will likely be in a limited way.

I met Tiffany at the '93 Winter's driving the Families Alky Dragster. She beat Blaine Johnson at Phoenix that same year I believe....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back