how much nitro is needed to make the fire in the pipes? (1 Viewer)

something about that question made me think of someone putting a little in their daily driver just to get flames on the way to work lol:)

Yeah, I have heard very aggressive tune ups requiring as little as 30%, but for the most part, you are going to need a fair amount more. The 50% number sounds pretty darn close to me.

something about that question made me think of someone putting a little in their daily driver just to get flames on the way to work lol:)

No no I wouldn't do that . Lol I don't have a car anyway I can't afford one , my feet are my way of getting around if I can't get a ride . I just spend my time collecting v8 engine and driveline parts so that I can maybe build something to allow me to go drag racing . I'd love to build something to run nitro but I dout a stock engine could handle it.

Though I guess I could try some good old Kiwi inginuity and do it yourself atitude and try my best to make my own pistons and rods . Its all trial and error in the long run .

Though I guess I could try some good old Kiwi inginuity and do it yourself atitude and try my best to make my own pistons and rods . Its all trial and error in the long run .

Get to Wellington in March and come to 2hot2handle event. Grant Downing and other racers where there last year, they will answer your questions and tell you where to go for parts i am sure, i will be back over there then so i may even see ya!

Dan

Maybe I wont make my own pistons or rods , I would probably stuff them up , plus the only way I could do is by sand casting . Maybe I should just save as much money as possible , wich will be hard because I don't have any . I think I will just save heaps of money, well try to .

Maybe I wont make my own pistons or rods , I would probably stuff them up , plus the only way I could do is by sand casting . Maybe I should just save as much money as possible , wich will be hard because I don't have any . I think I will just save heaps of money, well try to .

I really like your enthusiasm wanting to make some of your own parts. Thats how hot rodding and drag racing began in the US. I'd start saving for the best parts that you can afford. You may be able to start out racing on some level with cast pistons but probably not ones that you cast yourself. Maybe start out casting a gear shift knob or something like that. Racing is expensive but you can race without spending a ton of money. You seem pretty knowlegable about drag racing in general. Keep doing what you are doing, talking to drag racers and you will have a big head start when you are ready to go. Maybe Santa will bring you that Hemi that you want for Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Great question!
I would like to know also.
Earlier this year, I went to a fuel altered friday event(nighttime show). It was said that many of the cars were on nitro, but only 4 of them had flames come out the pipes.

Have you guys seen the Mike Kuhl cackle car? Holy cow does that thing flame at idle! So does the winged express. Very tall header flames at idle(and burn out + WOT).

Great question!
I would like to know also.
Earlier this year, I went to a fuel altered friday event(nighttime show). It was said that many of the cars were on nitro, but only 4 of them had flames come out the pipes.

Have you guys seen the Mike Kuhl cackle car? Holy cow does that thing flame at idle! So does the winged express. Very tall header flames at idle(and burn out + WOT).

Late timing will produce a pretty good show at idle.

wouldn't late timing be bad for the engine . Ive heard of cars running with footlong header flames at idle and then making a really good run.

A rich barrel valve will make the idle flames.

Our car put out 12 inch header flames will idling on 25% nitro, no blower. :cool:

No flames on the pass though. :mad:

Stunk to high heaven too! :D

Going off topic for a second but what company used to make those silver face masks that had the vents , the ones the fuel racers used to wear in the 60's and 70's before they went to full faced helmets .

I would think the trick is to have it pig rich at idle so it is putting a ton of fuel out the pipes. Many of the cackle cars have gone to great pains to get the tall header flames at idle, ya gotta admit, It's the balls!!:D

Simple.....you can get methanol to flame in the pipes if retard your ignition point....Or even big overlap on the exhaust side w/ nitro....

...you can get methanol to flame in the pipes...
BTDT,
there was this new TA/FC here in town being started for the first time.
The owner/driver wanted to make a couple of shakedown burnouts in the parking lot.
We don't know who put the fuel system together, but the crew chief goes to lite the motor. It wouldn't fire the first 2 tries.
3rd time is the charm and a huuuuuuuuuge flame shoots and stays out the right header. I mean huuuuuuuuuge and long lasting!
When it happened, we were all:eek:
but then later, we were :eek: :p :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back